darrell berry

Default high-end dolby decoder /soundcard? (with alsa drivers?)

I've been searching high and low, trying to find a studio-quality
dolby digital decoder pc card (with or without actual digital or
analogue outputs (see below)), so far with no luck.

I'm looking for something that can take a dolby digital stream at
input, and decode it into discrete channels that i can then feed to an
equally high quality multichannel audio card with analogue out
(current thinking digigram vx822). ANd preferably with alsa support on
Linux.

Any ideas? The only cards I can find that do decoding are the
soundblasteraudigy series, and no offence to creative labs, but i want
something closer to pro audio quality...

Any suggestions?

reply by email much appreciated, if possible
Arny Krueger

"darrell berry" wrote in message
om
I've been searching high and low, trying to find a studio-quality
dolby digital decoder pc card (with or without actual digital or
analogue outputs (see below)), so far with no luck.

I'm looking for something that can take a dolby digital stream at
input, and decode it into discrete channels that i can then feed to an
equally high quality multichannel audio card with analogue out
(current thinking digigram vx822). ANd preferably with alsa support on
Linux.

Any ideas? The only cards I can find that do decoding are the
soundblasteraudigy series, and no offence to creative labs, but i want
something closer to pro audio quality...

Any suggestions?

Since cards with digital outputs are cheap, I'd consider using a good DD
hardware decoder like the Technics SHAC300 or SHAC 500, and just hook it up
to some card with a servicable DD output. These decoders have been out of
production for years, but have decent converters. You can probably still
pick one up on eBay for not a lot of money.