Tubby Canadian

Default 7.1 via Digital Out on PC ??

Hey guys,
Is it possible yet to get a soundcard (or a motherboard with on-board audio) that allows you to listen to all your computer audio via a digital out connection to a AV Receiver?

And by all computer audio, I mean I want to hear my stereo MP3's, my Dolby 5.1 DVD's, and the surround sound in my games all through the a digital coax or fibre optic cable.

Intel's new High Definition Audio looks like it might do it, but it could just be the same as my soundcard I already have below (which only allows you to do what I want by hooking up 2 outputs: 1 digital AND 4 y-cables for analogue output in 7.1)

Please let me know. Thanks

My System includes:
- AV 7.1 DTS/DolbyDigital Receiver with multiple digital inputs
- A brand new gaming PC with the Hercules Fortissimo 7.1 sound card
Arny Krueger

"Tubby Canadian" wrote in message
news

Is it possible yet to get a soundcard (or a motherboard with on-board audio)
that allows you to listen to all your computer audio via a digital out
connection to a AV Receiver?

And by all computer audio, I mean I want to hear my stereo MP3's, my Dolby
5.1 DVD's, and the surround sound in my games all through the a digital coax
or fibre optic cable.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/apu.html

Key text:

"The ability to incorporate support for Dolby Digital 5.1 and a Dolby
Digital encoder in hardware to deliver an uncompromised, cinematic-quality
audio experience."

IOW this equipment includes an digital ENCODER so that it can produce a
Dolby Digital encoded digital data stream based on whatever sound source is
supplied to it.

Art Jackson

Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

My Creative Live Drive IR w/Dolby 5.1, has a selection in the Surround
Mixer panel, to check for "Digital Output Only". When I select it, my
analog speakers are killed. I don't have anything to connect the optical
or coaxial outputs to, but I would have to think that it was going out
those ports. There is a red cross right above the master volume slider,
which the mouse highlights as "Other Advanced Controls". Good luck.

--
Art Jackson W4TOY Owensboro, KY USA
Life is God's open book test. In order to pass,

Norman

Tubby Canadian wrote:

Thanks Arny, but it looks like these are discontinued and outdated
motherboards that have this APU.
They provide a list of their motherboards that have this
http://www.nvidia.com/object/motherboards.html but they all have FSB
of 400 or less ... which is far behind the 800 standard now.

Uh... it's AMD.. not intel so 800 vs 400 FSB isn't really valid here.

Buy a Chaintech 7.1 soundcard. It can do 7.1 out via digital.

Tubby Canadian

This Chaintech soundcard (like my Hercules soundcard) does 7.1 via the
digital for DVD's, but will it do multi-channel output (i.e EAX surround
sound) via the digital output? Mine does not. I'm assuming this does not
as well.
In other words, you can either do analogue multichanel output for EAX
surround or digital output for 7.1 in DVD's only