Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Ham-Fisted AT T-341 Mic Battery cover! :(

SOMEBODY at our church, apparently of super-human strength,
managed to over tighten the battery cover on the above mic
such that no one is able to reopen it!

My feeble attempts usually result in unscrewing the opposite end -
the pick-up module. It's been sitting in our office like that for 3
weeks now, and I'm just afraid of what is happening to the
rechargeable batteries in there. Will It one day be opened, with
tons of white powdery battery innards falling out?

Just need suggestions on how to unscrew the battery
compartment.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:

Just need suggestions on how to unscrew the battery
compartment.

Put it in the freezer.

You can also try using a small amount of a thin machine oil.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 02/08/2016 15:14, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Tobiah wrote:
On 08/01/2016 04:21 PM, wrote:
SOMEBODY at our church, apparently of super-human strength,
managed to over tighten the battery cover on the above mic
such that no one is able to reopen it!

My feeble attempts usually result in unscrewing the opposite end -
the pick-up module. It's been sitting in our office like that for 3
weeks now, and I'm just afraid of what is happening to the
rechargeable batteries in there. Will It one day be opened, with
tons of white powdery battery innards falling out?

The first thing that comes to mind is to wrap both parts in some
pieces of old bicycle inner-tube and apply some force with a couple
of sets of slip-lock pliers. You'd get tons of grip while minimizing
damage.

If you HAVE to force it, use strap wrenches (make a pair if your hardware
store doesn't have them). But really, try hard not to force it.
--scott

Just a thought. You can buy aids for disabled people to help them undo
things like soda bottle tops, in a range of sizes, one of which should
fit the mic body. A couple of these will give a *lot* more leverage than
hands alone, and as they are rubber lined for a good grip on wet things,
they won't damage the finish.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Frank Stearns wrote: "My only question about the freezer would be any risk to the diaphragm... (dunno, "

Since, as I indicated, the pickup section still unscrews, I can remove it,
and put the battery half in a bag and in the freezer for a half hour. Then
try unscrewing it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Frank Stearns wrote: "I wouldn't worry much about the batteries until a year or
two has gone by. "

I've had some of the AAs in a dozen room wall clocks
shed crusty residue in less than 6 months after
changing - good old Energizer or Duracells, no
cheapo brands.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 2:21:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Frank Stearns wrote: "My only question about the freezer would be any risk to the diaphragm... (dunno, "

Since, as I indicated, the pickup section still unscrews, I can remove it,
and put the battery half in a bag and in the freezer for a half hour. Then
try unscrewing it.

As John mentioned, you should use a rubber thing before screwing!!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA:

Can you be serious for five minutes? Seconds?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 3:14:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
JackA:

Can you be serious for five minutes? Seconds?

Yeah, you and your 3kHz serious stuff.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "Warming ( OK not 'heating') just the battery cover end has always worked
for me without complications. "

Thanks. If I go the warming route, a hair dryer it is!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

geoff wrote:
All the dimensions (both body and battery caps) shrink, so tightness may
remain the same. Difficult to chill just one section.

Correct. But the body and cap shrinks and then when you take it out and put
your warm hand on the cap, it warms back up very quickly and expands and
everything comes apart.

Try it! I have done this more than once!

Warming ( OK not 'heating') just the battery cover end has always worked
for me without complications.

It likely would too. Harder to do in a controlled way though.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Frank Stearns wrote:

Put it in the freezer.

Yes, cold is a better idea than heating, as heating is going to make
things larger and thus lock the threads together even more. Cold will
cause all the dimensions to shrink a wee bit, hopefully breaking that
lock you have currently.

** That is faulty reasoning.

When you heat a metal part with a hole in it - the hole expands. Conversely cooling the same part makes the hole smaller.

This is why heating a frozen-on nut works to loosen it.

When the materials are the same, the aim is to achieve a difference in temperature, so that the hole expands while the object inside the hole does not.

Some may be familiar with ball bearings that are heat fitted into alloy housings - steel expands less than aluminium so simply heating both makes the previously tight fit come loose.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

wrote:
On 08/01/2016 04:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

A similar trick is to simply wear a pair of rubber gloves, you'll be
amazed how much more grip you get than bare hands. Spray on a little
WD40 or penetrene etc. to the joint first, and you probably won't need
heat or cold or tools.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, August 3, 2016 at 12:22:36 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
Frank Stearns wrote:

Put it in the freezer.

Yes, cold is a better idea than heating, as heating is going to make
things larger and thus lock the threads together even more. Cold will
cause all the dimensions to shrink a wee bit, hopefully breaking that
lock you have currently.

** That is faulty reasoning.

When you heat a metal part with a hole in it - the hole expands. Conversely cooling the same part makes the hole smaller.

This is why heating a frozen-on nut works to loosen it.

When the materials are the same, the aim is to achieve a difference in temperature, so that the hole expands while the object inside the hole does not.

Some may be familiar with ball bearings that are heat fitted into alloy housings - steel expands less than aluminium so simply heating both makes the previously tight fit come loose.

.... Phil

The coefficient of thermal expansion, along with rapid oxidation, is the cause of house fires when aluminum wiring was first used.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 21:22:32 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
wrote:

Frank Stearns wrote:

Put it in the freezer.

Yes, cold is a better idea than heating, as heating is going to make
things larger and thus lock the threads together even more. Cold will
cause all the dimensions to shrink a wee bit, hopefully breaking that
lock you have currently.

** That is faulty reasoning.

When you heat a metal part with a hole in it - the hole expands. Conversely cooling the same part makes the hole smaller.

This is why heating a frozen-on nut works to loosen it.

When the materials are the same, the aim is to achieve a difference in temperature, so that the hole expands while the object inside the hole does not.

Some may be familiar with ball bearings that are heat fitted into alloy housings - steel expands less than aluminium so simply heating both makes the previously tight fit come loose.

.... Phil

When the two parts are locked tightly together it is hard to get any
differential heating - they both get hot together. As the hole expands
at exactly the same rate as the metal, things don't get loose. What
does happen is that the oxide layer gluing them together gets
disrupted, and with a bit of tapping and nudging, things can often be
persuaded to come apart.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis[_3_] Gareth Magennis[_3_] is offline

wrote in message

SOMEBODY at our church, apparently of super-human strength,
managed to over tighten the battery cover on the above mic
such that no one is able to reopen it!

My feeble attempts usually result in unscrewing the opposite end -
the pick-up module. It's been sitting in our office like that for 3
weeks now, and I'm just afraid of what is happening to the
rechargeable batteries in there. Will It one day be opened, with
tons of white powdery battery innards falling out?

Just need suggestions on how to unscrew the battery
compartment.

Wrap some rubber (elastic) bands around the mic body and battery cover, and
try by hand again.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

12:47 PMgareth magennis wrote:

"Wrap some rubber (elastic) bands around the mic body and battery cover, and
try by hand again. "

I tried the same thing about, with a pair of rubber oven
mitts, thing still wouldn't budge. I think it's toast.

Sad - and stupid - even for a church.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message

12:47 PMgareth magennis wrote:

"Wrap some rubber (elastic) bands around the mic body and battery cover,
and
try by hand again. "

I tried the same thing about, with a pair of rubber oven
mitts, thing still wouldn't budge. I think it's toast.

Sad - and stupid - even for a church.

Two pairs of Mole Grips then, and try and minimise damage with some kind of
padding of their teeth.
(Not rubber bands, the teeth bite right through them)

AND, I would try and impact drive them somehow, rather than just twist.
Hold one firm and whack the other with something heavy. This might break
the bond.

Gareth.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/08/2016 20:13, Gareth Magennis wrote:

wrote in message

12:47 PMgareth magennis wrote:

I tried the same thing about, with a pair of rubber oven
mitts, thing still wouldn't budge. I think it's toast.

Sad - and stupid - even for a church.

As a last resort, send it to a maker's service agent or other audio gear
repair shop, and if they damage the case, they should be able to buy a
replacement from the makers or will have the parts in stock, so won't be
paranoid about damage to the casing. It might even be cheaper than
buying a good quality used replacement.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, August 7, 2016 at 2:03:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
12:47 PMgareth magennis wrote:

"Wrap some rubber (elastic) bands around the mic body and battery cover, and
try by hand again. "

I tried the same thing about, with a pair of rubber oven
mitts, thing still wouldn't budge. I think it's toast.

Sad - and stupid - even for a church.

Have you tried an 18" pipe wrench?

Jack

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

The method required here is an impact technique to break the bond, not
steady force, which will break the mic.

I'd believe that if it were galled aluminum or rusted steel, but it's
cheap thermoplastic.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

Gareth Magennis wrote:

The method required here is an impact technique to break the bond, not
steady force, which will break the mic.

I'd believe that if it were galled aluminum or rusted steel, but it's
cheap thermoplastic.

Whenever I come across something like this I can't solve, I take it to my
work neighbour, a Ukrainian motor mechanic.
He can't always help, but sometimes has the knowledge/experience and tools
to do so, these people can be quite resourceful.

He brings me dead car ECU's occasionally. I've managed to fix a couple of
those without any car to test it with.
Works both ways.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

gareth magennis wrote: "Whenever I come across something like this I
can't solve, I take it to my work neighbour, a"

All I want to solve is WHO closed this thing so
tight. You figure if they were strong enough to
overtighten it, they're strong enough to unscrew
it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote in message

gareth magennis wrote: "Whenever I come across something like this I
can't solve, I take it to my work neighbour, a"

All I want to solve is WHO closed this thing so
tight. You figure if they were strong enough to
overtighten it, they're strong enough to unscrew
it.

The threads may have been corroded/contaminated with sweat or something
else.

Gareth

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote: "a last resort, send it to a maker's service agent or other audio gear
repair shop, and if they damage the case, they should be able to buy a
replacement from the makers or will have the parts in stock, so won't be
paranoid about damage to the casing. It might even be cheaper than
buying a good quality used replacement. "

We are a very small, spiritually rich but financially
poor church. The last thing our pastor would want
to spend money on is the battery compartment of
a wireless mic. Besides, we have other wireless
and hard-wire options for that position.

This was an exceptionally nice AT at the time it was
purchased, but I think the best thing to do will be to
just replace it - and be CAREFUL next time! :/
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Pastor brought it up to me again, says he wants to bring mic to local Sam Ash where he bought it to see if they could dislodge battery cover. I told him, they'll charge you at least $25 just to look at it. Pastor replied with a smile: "This mic plus receiver cost nearly $700 brand new. Do you think $25-30 is that big a deal to get use of this microphone back"?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 6:49:53 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:

Really? Probably a ham-fisted drummer at the store will grab it and open
it right up. No charge. Might be better to send it to Audio Technica,
though."

Probably what he will end up doing - sending it
to the mfg.

Pastor replied with a smile: "This mic plus receiver cost nearly
$700 brand new. Do you think $25-30 is that big a deal to get use of
this microphone back"?

Or can you show him that he can get a new one that's better
and costs $100."

What do you mean by that?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Pastor brought it up to me again, says he wants to bring mic to local Sam A=
sh where he bought it to see if they could dislodge battery cover. I told =
him, they'll charge you at least $25 just to look at it. Pastor replied wi=
th a smile: "This mic plus receiver cost nearly $700 brand new. Do you thi=
nk $25-30 is that big a deal to get use of this microphone back"?

So, do it. They'll put it in the freezer.
I think $25 for a bench fee is incredibly cheap, I'd definitely take it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 15/08/2016 11:17 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
Pastor brought it up to me again, says he wants to bring mic to local Sam A=
sh where he bought it to see if they could dislodge battery cover. I told =
him, they'll charge you at least $25 just to look at it. Pastor replied wi=
th a smile: "This mic plus receiver cost nearly $700 brand new. Do you thi=
nk $25-30 is that big a deal to get use of this microphone back"?

I think $25 for a bench fee is incredibly cheap, I'd definitely take it.

You do realise he said "at least $25 just to look at it", and that was
just a guess anyway I bet.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote: "do realise he said "at least $25 just to look at it", and that was
just a guess anyway I bet. "

A reasonable guess. Might even be $50 bench. The
question is how much Pastor is willing to pay. As some
here might have missed out on, I did mention this is
not the only wireless mic we have in the church. Just
miles away the most expensive one!