Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.tubes
Robert Morein[_2_] Robert Morein[_2_] is offline

Default Shipping tube gear

"Ian Bell" wrote in message
I recently sent a prototype tube mic pre from here in the UK to a client in
the USA via DHL. The mic pre is built in a sealed die cast box and has a
separate similarly constructed linear power supply. I surrounded each with
about 2 inches of foam, then some polystyrene so they fitted snugly into a
cardboard box.

Despite that, on arrival a tube had been shook out of its socket - OK
maybe tubes should go separately - but worse, a sub-chassis that fitted
into slots inside the die cast box had worked loose and pulled off some
connections to its tube sockets.

Now given how I packed it, there was no way I expected a sub-chassis to
work loose.; DHL must have really thrown it about to achieve that.

So my question is, what are others people's experiences of shipping tube
based gear, especially internationally, and what lessons are there to be
learned.

Cheers

Ian

Two inches of foam is enough to protect a hard disk thrown across the room.
Your gear is undoubtedly much more rugged. Tubes falling out of sockets have
been a problem since the beginning. But for a sub-chassis to "work loose?"
That's incredible. I've become physically ill thinking about it.

Shortly after 9/11, I received a package of three small photographic filters
in a padded envelope that had obviously been opened. The round filter
containers may have registered as bacterial culture containers.

My mail is constantly being opened an investigated. I've seen shadowy
figures stalking me around the neighborhood when I go on my daily run. I'm
sure McCarty is organizing this harassment and intimidation. I'm also sure
he's posing as my Federal Express deliveryman.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511