Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default A new man leads the Oz Liberal Party. RIP ETS, CPRS.

Please continue having a nice chat about the climate changes. I see
you don't think men and their wives and kids are causin' any
problems.

OK, be my guest.

We've gotta guy called Tony Abott, aka "The Mad Monk". He's just been
voted into leadership of the Liberal opposition party of Oz ( by just
one vote ) to de-rail the ETS and the CPRS. So The new leader and his
party voted against ETS and CPRS in the Senate and prevented it from
passing into law.
The Libs control the senate with their numbers and there ain't nothin
the Labour Govt can do.

In his first press conferance Tony asked the ppl of Oz to forgive him
for his past sins where at least one foot if not two were often in his
mouth causing great offence to someone or other. Sure Tony, we forgiv'
ya, and we know what y'are mate, a prick in fact, and we'll give ya a
hammer and nails to nail the toes of yer boots to the floor to stop
them going up into your mouth.

Anyway, the shenanigans of last week were not a bad outcome because
none of what the Govt proposed would lower emissions. Even the Greens
are happy.

If you don't understand something the Govt wants you to vote for,
don't vote for it. And if people did understand ETS and CPRS, they
wouldn't vote for it.

As I have said before, when people realize the costs of weaning
themselves off carbon, they'll be quite horrified. They'll be
horrified when they see emissions rise despite implementation of ETS
and CPRS. That's why the Govt has been speaking gobbledegook ( with a
forked tongue ) about ETS and CPRS. They don't what anyone to know the
real truth. ETS and CPRS is a lose - lose scenario for the man in the
street and his needy missus; a kick to their guts in fact. Rich ppl
can always find an extra $100 a week to maintain a life style one
level down from where they are but still above the struggling poor
masses they loathe.

But at least everyone will get a chance to vote on these issues some
time in 2010 in Oz. The Greens looks sure to do slightly better than
they already have.

I like what The Netherlands is doing to become climate change proof
though.
I like the research going on in China right now. Unfortunately these
stirling efforts to be green are nowhere near strong enough to have
significant effects to counter the increases in CO2 output from
increasing industry and population. So expect the weather where you
are to get warmer. Not in a week though. Expect big things like this
to take considerable time, maybe 1/2 a century when your grand kiddies
are getting up around 55. Because the warming is so slow and
insidious, its very easy to deny it is happening.
But feel free to deny it. No problem.

The major problem we face is man's inhumanity to man, and to quite a
few women. Greenhouse is just one problem among many about which we
probably will do too little too late.

I got a lot done today while working on a nice little headphone amp
using EL84 in triode with OPT and driven by a 12AU7, with GNFB
optional.
It'll even drive a speaker to about 2W.

Now what is everyone else building with tubes around here?

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 06:22:34 -0800 (PST), Patrick Turner
wrote:

I got a lot done today while working on a nice little headphone amp
using EL84 in triode with OPT and driven by a 12AU7, with GNFB
optional.
It'll even drive a speaker to about 2W.

Ah, but what is the overall power consumption compared with an
equivalent solid state amp? And, of course, do you have a wind turbine
to run it?

These are vital elements of any new design these days.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:
I got a lot done today while working on a nice little headphone amp
using EL84 in triode with OPT and driven by a 12AU7, with GNFB
optional.
It'll even drive a speaker to about 2W.

Ah, but what is the overall power consumption compared with an
equivalent solid state amp? And, of course, do you have a wind turbine
to run it?

These are vital elements of any new design these days.

The amount of amplification done world wide is increasing, but the
change to PWM amps is underway.
If a few tiny steam driven amps like mine get made it does not alter
the general trend.

The guys at NASA are in complete disagreement with the GW denialists.
I doubt Andre will be invited to join the NASA research team.

Even in the Oz Liberal Party, the party's recently deposed leader,
Malcolm Turnbull, has posted up statements in his Blog saying the
party's new leader Tiny Abott thinks a lot of "bull****" and is quite
wrong to deny GW is a problem. He has said he agrees with the Govet on
ETS and CPRS, and plans to cross the floor to vote with the Govt when
the rejected Bills are reintroduced in parliment next February, for
the 3rd time.

The conditions for an Elnino weather pattern this year into next are
building so we can expect severe drought conditions and record
temperature trends to continue.

Nothing the GW deniers are are saying seems to be of any consequence.
Of course the Saudi Arabs are out and about denying GW. Imagine if oil
is left in the ground. The Arabs look likely to lose big time if the
oil underpinning their feet isn't sold. But in Dubai where nothing is
made except large bills for opulence and debts, things are going a bit
crook; its crash time for dreams. Ce La Vie.

Tiny Abott said its going to cost Oz 120 Billion bucks to get CO2 down
by some unmentioned %, probably a far too low % to do any good. OK,
that's $6,000 per person in Oz. Its not been said if that is each
year.

Tiny as Tiny Abott is, he is at least telling the Govt to tell the
truth to the Oz ppl about the costs of lowering emissions.

I'm wondering what Arnie Swarzeneger in Carlifornia is saying to his
state ( about the size of Oz ) about the costs of getting off carbon.

I don't think anyone is likely to like the cost of getting off carbon.

Copenhagen will probably end up making a great many people very
depressed about the future. This will be wonderful for the planet.
With boundless optimism ppl just spend and consume like there is no
tommorrow. So a real good dose of depression might just stop folks
wanting more and ****ing more even though they have far too much
already. If it looks silly to invest money in business as usual ideas,
ppl just won't. Nobody will build a new Venice if they think it will
be flooded soon. A permanent global financial crisis could be a great
outcome. The money can go towards cleaning up our act. The IMF says
tax is better than ETS. OK, hit us all with a tax.
Last time they hit everyone with a new tax it was the Goods and
Services Tax which was meant to replace many other taxes and not
affect food prices. But many other taxes remained and food went up.
Life went on grandly. So don't whinge if a carbon tax is put on top of
exisiting taxes. The taxes can fund Carbon free energy schemes.
The same bull**** went on when someone said that publically funded
sewerage schemes were needed to prevent disease in crowded cities.
Many denied open sewers killed anyone. Ppl denied smoking killed
anyone. Remember how grubby European and American cities used to be?
The deniers lost, and sewers got built, air became cleaner, and
polluters of rivers got closed down. And now its time to do a heck of
a lot more.

Depression alone won't halt GW. It must be followed up by appropriate
un-action, ie, a complete lack of interest in increasing or
maintaining business as usual. I'd like to see all those tycoons who
ride on everyone else's back starve to death; they don't make
anything. They've been making the world go round for too long by their
constant screaming to everyone to buy more, use more, borrow more and
**** the world harder.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 06:33:59 -0800 (PST), Patrick Turner
wrote:

These are vital elements of any new design these days.

The amount of amplification done world wide is increasing, but the
change to PWM amps is underway.
If a few tiny steam driven amps like mine get made it does not alter
the general trend.

Don't do as I do, do as I say.

The guys at NASA are in complete disagreement with the GW denialists.

It is called knowing which side your bread is buttered.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer[_2_] Engineer[_2_] is offline

On Dec 5, 9:22*am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Please continue having a nice chat about the climate changes. I see
you don't think men and their wives and kids are causin' any
problems.

(snip)

Now what is everyone else building with tubes around here?

Patrick Turner.

Too many people, that's the problem!
We don't need our present 6.8 billion and certainly not the 10 billion
that demographers seem to think we'll stop at. I fear Malthus was
right! If we don't fix the birth rate the Four Horseman of the
Apocalypse will do it for us! Some say they're riding already...
Cheers,
Roger
PS. Not building anything at this moment, just fixing a Bendix RA 10DB
"boatanchor" for a museum (nasty motorized band switch!) and restoring
an old Roger-Majestic radio, type 59, when I get the schematic - see
RAR+P group.