bt

Default questions about DVD players w/ good audio quality

I've been frustrated trying to learn about the audio quality of DVD
players online. Some brands that tout their audio-first approach, such
as NAD and Cambridge Audio, are rarely reviewed or compared, it seems.

I will be buying a new TV, but it'll be relatively small--probably 30"
or less. And my audio system is, for the forseeable future, two channel
only (I'll be adding a subwoofer, but that's it.) I have a ten-year-old
Philips CD changer now, and I'd like to get a DVD player that will also
offer an upgrade in the audio quality: I'd like it to replace the old CD
changer, in other words.

I'm hoping that this can be an under-$500 unit, preferably far under.
But I'm having problems finding informed opinions about the audio
virtues of the various contenders (Denon is another option), or getting
a clear sense of where the point of diminishing returns sets in with DVD
players.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Carver1200 Carver1200 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt
[...]

I went through both Denon & Phillips single disc CD units over the years. Seems the laser assemblies started to go, skipping to the bass of my large VMPS speaker set up two channel system. Ended up replacing them both with a $300.00 Panasonic DVD-RA60 audio player a couple years back. The unit performs beautifully, with no laser tracking problems from powerful bass. I'm with you and think most of the better brand players sound very good. If you're going to use the player primarily for music play back, DVD secondary as I do, get a player with the controls/remote set up that way. My Panasonic has music friendly numerical key pad controls and audio only settings. Most DVD players don't.
nselson

Just a thought: Since the internal D/A conversion of most DVD players
today is assumed to be inferior to exterenal processing(in an A/V
receiver, for instance), why not choose a player that absolutely
requires the analogue outputs. A player that is capable of 2-channel
SACD playback, perhaps. These would deliver the best analogue signal to
your receiver, I think. Because it's the whole point; not just an
afterthought. Or, take the logical next step, and pick-up a receiver
that accepts digital input. That's where the real beef is.

"bt" wrote in message
[...]

The point of diminishing returns seems to set in at about $30. If you
compare the audio quality of a $30 DVD player with that of a $300 one, you
probably will not be able to consistently differentiate between them.

Maybe you can find a $30 player that's no good, but I've compared my Apex
1225 with a variety of expensive CD players feeding expensive electronics,
which in turn feed expensive speakers, and no one can tell the difference.

I'm not recommending that you should buy a $30 player--there are after all
other reasons to pay more--but sound quality is not one of them.

Norm Strong

George Middius

Uncle Troll has a new set of myths and legends to support his propaganda
campaign.

Maybe you can find a $30 player that's no good, but I've compared my Apex
1225 with a variety of expensive CD players feeding expensive electronics,
which in turn feed expensive speakers, and no one can tell the difference.

Do tell, Normy. How, exactly, did you "compare"? Was it in the store, or did you
schlep your cheapo box to a well-to-do acquaintance's house to show him up? Or,
even more bizarre, did you arrange some kind of showdown at a public venue where
you dared people to bring their megabuck systems in to duel with your cheapo?

Arny Krueger

"nselson" wrote in message
ups.com

Just a thought: Since the internal D/A conversion of most
DVD players today is assumed to be inferior to exterenal
processing(in an A/V receiver, for instance),

By who?

"George Middius" wrote in message

Uncle Troll has a new set of myths and legends to support his propaganda
campaign.

Maybe you can find a $30 player that's no good, but I've compared my Apex
1225 with a variety of expensive CD players feeding expensive electronics,
which in turn feed expensive speakers, and no one can tell the difference.

Do tell, Normy. How, exactly, did you "compare"? Was it in the store, or
did you
schlep your cheapo box to a well-to-do acquaintance's house to show him
up? Or,
even more bizarre, did you arrange some kind of showdown at a public venue
where
you dared people to bring their megabuck systems in to duel with your
cheapo?

Please tell us how YOU comapred the sound quality of your DVD players.
This should be a hoot.