rob

Default Inexpensive Bookshelf Speakers

I have to replace the broken speakers for my Harmon Kardon 520
receiver. Unfortunately, I am on a very tight budget. The max I can
spend is $100/piece, i.e. $200/pair. The speakers will be mainly used
as the main speakers to watch movies but also listening to music once
in a while. I know $100 is not going to get me anywhere (my headphones
were considerably more expensive) but that's all I can afford right
now. Two speakers I saw are JBL E30 for $140/pair and Klipsch SB-1 for
$130/pair. Any opinions/suggestions and/or alternatives are greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Powell

"rob" wrote

I have to replace the broken speakers for my Harmon
Kardon 520 receiver. Unfortunately, I am on a very tight
budget. The max I can spend is $100/piece, i.e. $200/pair.
The speakers will be mainly used as the main speakers
to watch movies but also listening to music once in a while.

Stereophile likes the Infinity Primus 150 and Paradigm Atom
at the $200 price point.

http://infinitysystems.com/homeaudio...d=PRIMUS150BKS

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...manceSpecs.htm

takeitout

rob wrote:
I have to replace the broken speakers for my Harmon Kardon 520
receiver. Unfortunately, I am on a very tight budget. The max I can
spend is $100/piece, i.e. $200/pair. The speakers will be mainly used
as the main speakers to watch movies but also listening to music once
in a while. I know $100 is not going to get me anywhere (my headphones
were considerably more expensive) but that's all I can afford right
now. Two speakers I saw are JBL E30 for $140/pair and Klipsch SB-1 for
$130/pair. Any opinions/suggestions and/or alternatives are greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

I would go over to Parts Express and take a look at one of their small
kits. The Dayton BR-1 kit will run you about $140, and less than an
evening to assemble. Also take a look at Madisound. They have some very
nice kits, and one of the Sledgeling ones would probably fit your
budget. With a kit you are going to get better drivers,cabinets, and
crossovers than you will at the sub $200 commerical speaker offering.
And these kits are easy to build!

Regards
Mister Pig

George M. Middius

Clyde Slick said:

Yes. Make sure you use DBT to make your decision properly.

To do it right, buy a $600 ABX box to test $200 pair speakers.

As a bonus, you can also test $50 cables against $100 cables.

Andrew Barss

rob wrote:
: I have to replace the broken speakers for my Harmon Kardon 520
: receiver. Unfortunately, I am on a very tight budget. The max I can
: spend is $100/piece, i.e. $200/pair. The speakers will be mainly used
: as the main speakers to watch movies but also listening to music once
: in a while. I know $100 is not going to get me anywhere (my headphones
: were considerably more expensive) but that's all I can afford right
: now. Two speakers I saw are JBL E30 for $140/pair and Klipsch SB-1 for
: $130/pair. Any opinions/suggestions and/or alternatives are greatly
: appreciated.

I have the Paradigm Titans, which come in right around that price point.,
Terrific speakers. There are two others (the Atom, and the Mini) which are
smaller and less expensive.

-- Andy Barss