Wildcard

Default Problem with Kenwood KDC-MP625 shutting off

Hello,
Yesterday I bought a Kenwood KDC-MP625 at Best Buy and had it installed. On
my way home, it shut off unexpectedly, so I went back. All the tech had to
do was reset it, but he couldnt find what caused the problem. He checked all
the fuses and tested the wires, so it wasnt an install problem. This problem
also occured with my factory radio, where it would shut off if it got too
loud. I drive a 2001 Saturn L200, with 2 JL Audio W0-4's and a e1200 amp. I
have a switch to cut power to the amp, but the radio shutting off happens
regardless of whether the amp is on or off. The shutoff occurs when the
radio hits a specific volume. On the first track of Ludacris's Word of Mouf
album, this is when the volume is 18. On the first track of Dashboard
Confessional's Places You've Come to Fear the Most, the volume is 21. When
the shutoff occurs, the radio goes completely dead. There are no lights,
even when the headlights are on. The motorized faceplate will work
sometimes, but not always. Simply removing the faceplate doesnt help, and
since it happened on the factory radio, I sincerely doubt there is a problem
with the deck. The only way to get the deck to work again is to hit the
reset, which is becoming aggrivating since I lose my clock and all my
presets. Since Best Buy checked the installation, there isnt much more they
can do, and told me it was a problem with the car. I called my dealership
today, and they refuse to even look at my car since I have an after-market
radio, even though the problem started with the factory radio. I had had two
blown speakers, both the right side doors, but when I got the new deck, I
got new speakers for the front doors. For the record, the subs and amp were
installed in December, and this problem didnt start until March. Any
suggestions?

KaeZoo

You can try running new power and ground wires (especially ground) instead
of using the ones in the factory harness. A poor ground will cause a deck
to shut off at high volumes; also, sometimes corrosion or a poorly fitting
fuse in the fuse box can cause a voltage drop on the power wires.

"Wildcard" wrote in message
[...]

Chad Wahls

"Wildcard" wrote in message
Hello,
Yesterday I bought a Kenwood KDC-MP625 at Best Buy and had it installed.

On
my way home, it shut off unexpectedly, so I went back. All the tech had to
do was reset it, but he couldnt find what caused the problem. He checked

all
the fuses and tested the wires, so it wasnt an install problem. This

problem
also occured with my factory radio, where it would shut off if it got too
loud.

You just nailed it! Are the speakers running off the deck power amp? If so
then the unit is protecting itself as the saturn one was probably doing.
Those tracks may be up there and highly compressed and you may not be
hearing that the amp is clipping so bad that the DC fault protection is
kicking in. The unit shuts itself off because it thinks it's broken and is
keeping the tech at the bench happy. Try considering adding an amp to the
other speakers and see if the problem goes away.

Chad

Ampdoc

Wrong idea. Head unit output IC's do have built in protection, which usually
dosen't work (90% of the time the output fries itself). If it WAS a
protection fault, only the audio would cut off, not the entire radio. More
likely is low voltage, causing the radio's microprocessor to glitch, thus
the need to reset the unit to restore proper operation.

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc.
"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

"Wildcard" wrote in message
[...]

Chad Wahls

"Ampdoc" wrote in message
Wrong idea. Head unit output IC's do have built in protection, which

usually
dosen't work (90% of the time the output fries itself). If it WAS a
protection fault, only the audio would cut off, not the entire radio. More
likely is low voltage, causing the radio's microprocessor to glitch, thus
the need to reset the unit to restore proper operation.

--
Jammy Harbin
J & J Electronics, Inc.
227 S. 4th St.
Selmer, TN 38375
731-645-3311

Wrong answer, great Idea. If this were the case It (by judging by your
screen name) would make make our lives easier as techs. That way the
customer wont keep turning it on causing further damage. If the amp goes
DC, it has to be reset, don't put it in the manual and let a pro figure it
out. I guess I jumped too soon in hope that someone would have done this by
now.

Agreed the protection on internal one chip wonders is horrible, especially
since the manufacturers KNOW what it is going to be put through.

Chad

Wildcard

Well, it turns out it was the amp to blame. The switch I have just cuts off
the remote. When the tech at Best Buy pulled the fuse on the amp, the
problem went away. Now I didnt understand most of what he was telling me,
but I gathered that most of the problem stemmed from the fact that CarTunes
didnt use RCA cables, and something about the ohms in my speakers being 1,
which caused a power drain and blew out the speakers. At least, that's what
I gathered. So tomorrow Best Buy will put in the RCA's, and replace the back
door speakers.

On an unrelated note, seriously, dont go to CarTunes. Besides not using RCA
cables, they ran the speaker wire and the power wire side by side, and
blamed the blown speakers on me having the radio too loud

Les

"Wildcard" wrote in message
Well, it turns out it was the amp to blame. The switch I have just cuts

off
the remote. When the tech at Best Buy pulled the fuse on the amp, the
problem went away.

This is confusing. Do you have any more details on this.

Now I didnt understand most of what he was telling me,
but I gathered that most of the problem stemmed from the fact that

CarTunes
didnt use RCA cables, and something about the ohms in my speakers being 1,
which caused a power drain and blew out the speakers. At least, that's

what
I gathered. So tomorrow Best Buy will put in the RCA's, and replace the

back
door speakers.

Were the rear and fronts and subs running off the same amp? I would hope not
unless its a 5 channel. But running your amp down to 1 ohm would provide
more output at the terminals and draw more power, but the power drain would
not blow the speakers. Either you heard wrong or they filled you up with a
load a crap.

On an unrelated note, seriously, dont go to CarTunes. Besides not using

RCA
cables, they ran the speaker wire and the power wire side by side, and
blamed the blown speakers on me having the radio too loud

Did Cartunes install the HU and the amp or just one? If just one what was
the purchase order?
The speaker wire and the power wire running down the same side of the car is
likely not a problem, in extreme and rare circumstances it could be but it's
not likely. And second they were likely right when they said the speakers
blew because you had it too loud, what else would have blown them?

Les

"Wildcard" wrote in message ...
Well, it turns out it was the amp to blame. The switch I have just cuts off
the remote. When the tech at Best Buy pulled the fuse on the amp, the
problem went away. Now I didnt understand most of what he was telling me,
but I gathered that most of the problem stemmed from the fact that CarTunes
didnt use RCA cables, and something about the ohms in my speakers being 1,
which caused a power drain and blew out the speakers. At least, that's what
I gathered. So tomorrow Best Buy will put in the RCA's, and replace the back
door speakers.

On an unrelated note, seriously, dont go to CarTunes. Besides not using RCA
cables, they ran the speaker wire and the power wire side by side, and
blamed the blown speakers on me having the radio too loud

i thought that you originally used your factory radio? why would the
1st shop use RCA's anyways? the factory radio didnt have an rca
output to begin with so they used the line level inputs. probably
best buy should have told you that since you were using a new headunit
with rca outputs, they should have sold you on installing rca cables
in the 1st place.
Scott Gardner

On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:26:34 -0400, "Wildcard"
wrote:

Well, it turns out it was the amp to blame. The switch I have just cuts off
the remote. When the tech at Best Buy pulled the fuse on the amp, the
problem went away. Now I didnt understand most of what he was telling me,
but I gathered that most of the problem stemmed from the fact that CarTunes
didnt use RCA cables, and something about the ohms in my speakers being 1,
which caused a power drain and blew out the speakers. At least, that's what
I gathered. So tomorrow Best Buy will put in the RCA's, and replace the back
door speakers.

On an unrelated note, seriously, dont go to CarTunes. Besides not using RCA
cables, they ran the speaker wire and the power wire side by side, and
blamed the blown speakers on me having the radio too loud

Running speaker wires next to power wires isn't really a big deal.
The odds of the power wires inducing enough current into a
speaker-level signal for you to be able to hear it are about nil.
Running power wires next to low-voltage line-level RCA cables CAN
induce noise, but even that's not always the case.

Scott Gardner

dislexicmofo

sounds like meybe somethings shorted out in the lectrical system and the
vibrations from the music are making it contact somethng and ground
out. but thats a guess, might be something else. try hooking up a
voltmeter to the powercable and the turn it on to the volume it takes
to shut off, test all the wires this way and see if anything unusual
happens. make sure to keep your eyes on that voltmeter though

--
dislexicmofo