Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default cap specs, any old AL electrolytic?

Have an old Sansui reciever. I have to change the ps caps. I'm
guessing
I can use any properly rated cap with correct uF & voltage. But I
notice
there a some "special" specs for caps with low leakage and those
designed for
high ripple. Can I, practically, ignore those last two specs?

typical values I'll be replacing.

Al electrolytics
4.7uF, 150V
200uF, 75V
220uF, 25V ... and so on.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

hfs2 wrote ...
Have an old Sansui reciever. I have to change the ps caps.
I'm guessing I can use any properly rated cap with correct
uF & voltage. But I notice there a some "special" specs for
caps with low leakage and those designed for high ripple.
Can I, practically, ignore those last two specs?

typical values I'll be replacing.

Al electrolytics
4.7uF, 150V
200uF, 75V
220uF, 25V ... and so on.

IMHO, yes you can likely ignore those particular specs.

However the values you showed in your list don't seem like the
prime candidates for replacement to fix your problem. You could
try seeing if replacement will resolve the hum problem, but don't
be surprised if it takes replacing the big main filter caps (which
should be several thousand uF at least).