David Grant

Default question about new headphones

I've been using some consumer Panasonic closed-ear headphones for ages, and
I just picked up a pair of AKG k271s. I'm having a strange experience with
them, I was wondering if anyone could offer any input.

My ear drums are hurting after about 15 minutes of listening at what I
consider normal listening levels. There's a strange sensation I get after a
while, that I never got with the old headphones, and that I can't really
describe in words... perhaps it's due to the superior isolation? Also, my
ears have started ringing more often than usual (I'm 21, and haven't played
in bands much or been exposed to many loud sounds - generally very careful
with my ears). It seems as if the headphones are deceiving my ears as to the
true SPL they're putting out, or something. I've tried to keep the levels
down since I realized this was happening, but I'm obviously sacrificing some
detail in what I'm hearing by doing this.

Anyone able to explain this and/or had similar experiences?

Dave

Chris Whealy

David Grant wrote:
I've been using some consumer Panasonic closed-ear headphones for ages,=

and
I just picked up a pair of AKG k271s. I'm having a strange experience w=

ith
them, I was wondering if anyone could offer any input.
=20
My ear drums are hurting after about 15 minutes of listening at what I
consider normal listening levels. There's a strange sensation I get aft=

er a
while, that I never got with the old headphones, and that I can't reall=

I know AKG K271's are designed to be circumaural cans, but are the=20
circumaural when *you* are wearing them? I don't mean to be rude, but=20
if your ears stick out, and you look like a wing-nut, then most=20
headphones will exert pressure on the pinnae (your outer ear), and this=20
will cause your ears to ache after a while.

I've had my ears ache after wearing badly fitting headphones (and I'm=20
not a wing-nut!), but not in 15 minutes, it took about 2 hours.

The only other suggestion is that you are now hearing a far more full=20
range sound than before, and perhaps some EQ on your headphone amp is=20
required...

=A30.025

Chris

--=20
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
but the words of the wise are quiet and few.

Don Pearce

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:35:24 -0500, "David Grant"
wrote:

[...]

While you are listening to music at your normal level, pull the phones
away from your ears. Do you hear a fairly distinct change of pitch -
probably downwards? If you do, then you are listening far too loud.
Reduce the volume until you no longer get the pitch change, and you
should be safe.

http://www.pearce.uk.com
Ty Ford

In Article , "David Grant"
wrote:
[...]

Dave,

Sounds to me like tinnitus. That usually is a precursor of hearing loss. You
should be concerned. It probably is coincidental to the use of the k271
phones. If you go back to the other ones does the phenomenon stop?

Regards,

Ty

For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Can anyone suggest good audiophile headphones? Grado's? Billy Shears High End Audio 6 May 7th 04 05:08 PM
Headphones - query volume Smogo Pro Audio 3 March 8th 04 06:32 PM
Headphones question Neil.N Pro Audio 3 October 22nd 03 07:32 AM
Headphones question Neil.N Pro Audio 1 October 22nd 03 05:51 AM
Sharpe headphones question Neil.N Pro Audio 0 October 20th 03 04:23 PM