Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay[_11_] Jay[_11_] is offline

Default Bounce to disk

When I bounce to disk in PT 003 should I use 16 bit resolution or 24?
I mean when I bounce a track that I want to burn on a CD to listen to in a
good home stereo system.

The reason I ask is that there seem to be some burning software don't like
the 24 bit and will only burn 16 so I'm wandering if there are CD players
out there that won't play it either.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Jay wrote:
When I bounce to disk in PT 003 should I use 16 bit resolution or 24?
I mean when I bounce a track that I want to burn on a CD to listen to in a
good home stereo system.

Wait as long as possible before dithering down to 16 bits.

The reason I ask is that there seem to be some burning software don't like
the 24 bit and will only burn 16 so I'm wandering if there are CD players
out there that won't play it either.

All CD players are like that. CDs are 16-bit things. If it's not 16 bit
two or four channel, it's not a red book CD and no CD player will ever play
it.

But that doesn't have anything to do with Pro Tools. Wait as long as
possible before converting to 16 bits and avoid doing any processing in
the 16 bit world.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Dec 4, 10:29 am, "Jay" wrote:
When I bounce to disk in PT 003 should I use 16 bit resolution or 24?
I mean when I bounce a track that I want to burn on a CD to listen to in a
good home stereo system.

To simplify things for your own listening at home, use 16-bit. If
you're going to send your project off for mastering or pressing, then
use 24-bit and let the conversion to 16-bit after the next people in
line work their magic.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

All CD players are like that. CDs are 16-bit things. If it's not 16 bit
two or four channel, it's not a red book CD and no CD player will ever play
it.

There is a red book standard for 4 chs?

Are there any 4 channel players (or better yet, recorders) out there?

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mark" wrote in message

All CD players are like that. CDs are 16-bit things.
If it's not 16 bit two or four channel, it's not a red
book CD and no CD player will ever play it.

There is a red book standard for 4 chs?

No, just 2 channels, 44 KHz sampling, 16 bits.

Are there any 4 channel players?

Please see DVD-V and DVD-A standards for multichannel (2 channels) players

(or better yet, recorders) out there?

Since you can record DVD-As on a standard PC DVD burner...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Jay" wrote in message ...
When I bounce to disk in PT 003 should I use 16 bit resolution or 24?
I mean when I bounce a track that I want to burn on a CD to listen to in a
good home stereo system.

Bounce at 24.... pick up a copy of Toast Titanium, drag and drop to burn.
Toast will downsample and dither for making test CDs.

The reason I ask is that there seem to be some burning software don't like
the 24 bit and will only burn 16 so I'm wandering if there are CD players
out there that won't play it either.

None.

DM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Mark wrote:

All CD players are like that. CDs are 16-bit things. If it's not 16 bit
two or four channel, it's not a red book CD and no CD player will ever play
it.

There is a red book standard for 4 chs?

There is! It's really cool!

Are there any 4 channel players (or better yet, recorders) out there?

No, there never were.
--scott

What would have been REALLY a good idea was a mono CD, with twice the
running time and differetn interleeave. But when the CD came out, I don't
think anybody had any idea how big a business reissuing older recordings was
going to turn out to be. 20/20 hindsight, of course.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

All CD players are like that. CDs are 16-bit things.
If it's not 16 bit two or four channel, it's not a red
book CD and no CD player will ever play it.

There is a red book standard for 4 chs?

No, just 2 channels, 44 KHz sampling, 16 bits.

Nope. Get the Red Book out. There is a whole section on 4-channel
discs. As far as I know, nobody ever implemented it, but it's in the
standard.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Allen Corneau Allen Corneau is offline

On 12/4/07 12:55 PM, in article , "Scott
Dorsey" wrote:

No, just 2 channels, 44 KHz sampling, 16 bits.

Nope. Get the Red Book out. There is a whole section on 4-channel
discs. As far as I know, nobody ever implemented it, but it's in the
standard.
--scott

What if someone came up with a 4-channel CD version of the DTRS bit-splitter
decoder?!?

Imagine it... 24/44.1 or 16/88.2 audio CD's!

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

In article ,
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

All CD players are like that. CDs are 16-bit things.
If it's not 16 bit two or four channel, it's not a red
book CD and no CD player will ever play it.

There is a red book standard for 4 chs?

No, just 2 channels, 44 KHz sampling, 16 bits.

Nope. Get the Red Book out. There is a whole section on
4-channel discs.

Interesting, but of very limited real-world relevance.

As far as I know, nobody ever
implemented it, but it's in the standard.

And the name of a commercially made and sold player for that standard is????

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mark wrote:

All CD players are like that. CDs are 16-bit things. If it's not
16 bit two or four channel, it's not a red book CD and no CD player
will ever play it.

There is a red book standard for 4 chs?

Yes. The format is capable of discrete 4 channel quadrophony.

Are there any 4 channel players (or better yet, recorders) out there?

I doubt that a quadrophonic cd-player was ever actually built.

Mark

Kind regards

Peter Larsen