eidsvikDM

Default Wiring subs to receive 2 ohms

My sub amplifier can provide power at 2 ohm stereo. I have 2 12" 900w
max 4ohm subs. Currently I have them running at 4ohms. I decided to
try them at 2 ohms from the amp (which is 420w RMS x2) I was very
happy with the result. Not sure if they were any louder but the lower
end seem to hang on to the end. At 4 ohms the lowend seems kinda
week, fizzles out early. I noticed at 2 ohms the headlights dimmed
ever so slightly. Maybe a cap might band-aid that.

Is there a problem with running my 4 ohm svc subs at 2 ohms?
TheBIessedDead

My sub amplifier can provide power at 2 ohm stereo. I have 2 12" 900w
max 4ohm subs. Currently I have them running at 4ohms. I decided to
try them at 2 ohms from the amp (which is 420w RMS x2) I was very
happy with the result. Not sure if they were any louder but the lower
end seem to hang on to the end. At 4 ohms the lowend seems kinda
week, fizzles out early. I noticed at 2 ohms the headlights dimmed
ever so slightly. Maybe a cap might band-aid that.

Is there a problem with running my 4 ohm svc subs at 2 ohms?

If there was a problem, it would be with the amp, not with the subs. You have
them wired at 2 ohm mono, and your amp is rated to 2 ohm stereo. I'm not sure
what overall affects that can have on the amp... I've done it before and the
amp would overheat and shut down.
Mark Zarella

If there was a problem, it would be with the amp, not with the subs. You
have
them wired at 2 ohm mono, and your amp is rated to 2 ohm stereo. I'm not

sure
what overall affects that can have on the amp... I've done it before and

the
amp would overheat and shut down.

In short, it's not good for the amp if it starts shutting down. Yet he
didn't complain about that happening, so who knows what's going on...

sanitarium

Dont forget to factor in the total system impedence (Sub + enclosure)
The amp 'may' not be seeing that low of an impedence load. Im running
my amps at 2 ohms bridged with an aperiodic enclosure, the amps get warm
but not at all hot pushing techmaster peb. Then again I dont listen to
it that loud for long periods.

Garrett

Mark Zarella wrote:

If there was a problem, it would be with the amp, not with the subs. You

have

them wired at 2 ohm mono, and your amp is rated to 2 ohm stereo. I'm not

sure

what overall affects that can have on the amp... I've done it before and

the

amp would overheat and shut down.

In short, it's not good for the amp if it starts shutting down. Yet he
didn't complain about that happening, so who knows what's going on...

Mista Bone

Also depends is the "4 ohm" subs are really 4 ohms.

For example, my old JBL 1500Gti, 1.95 ohms.
I ran that puppy on a old MTX 2160 with EXCELLENT results.

Mark Zarella wrote:

If there was a problem, it would be with the amp, not with the subs.

You

have

them wired at 2 ohm mono, and your amp is rated to 2 ohm stereo. I'm

not

sure

what overall affects that can have on the amp... I've done it before and

the

amp would overheat and shut down.

In short, it's not good for the amp if it starts shutting down. Yet he
didn't complain about that happening, so who knows what's going on...

Mark Zarella

This is often take into account when amp manufacturers provide ratings.
"Low" bass usually approaches the DCR anyway. It generally comes down to
the quality of the amplifier.

Mark Zarella wrote:

If there was a problem, it would be with the amp, not with the subs.

You

have

them wired at 2 ohm mono, and your amp is rated to 2 ohm stereo. I'm

not

sure

what overall affects that can have on the amp... I've done it before

and

the

amp would overheat and shut down.

In short, it's not good for the amp if it starts shutting down. Yet he
didn't complain about that happening, so who knows what's going on...

eidsvikDM

Thanks for a few things out there. I guess I didn't say "stereo" or
"mono". I would assume that with my sub amp which has 2 channels is I
used the speaker connections indicated for "bridged output" that I
would be running my subs still in stereo and not in mono. Isn't this
the case. Neg from left and Pos from right? And why would it be fine
if my amp can handle it no problem. Why then does the sub have a 4
ohm rating. If I'm not exceeding the subs 900w max, even by half,
then can it handle the watts at 2 ohms?