Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
leutholl

Default What would you do with Philips 22AH587

Hi again,

I guess there are some older r.a.p poster here, beeing the half life in the
audio domain, so I challenge you with a question of an old pair of
loudspeakers.

For those who know the Philips 22AH587/00R studio speakers:
How would you use them?

The Philips are very old but are triamped. The Bass speaker is MFB (Motion
Feedback) I guess they have some sort of a piezo or coil to messure the
membrane movement, this will be feedbacked to the preamp to enhance the
impuls response - I guess!
They have gyrator-filters for room correction, they take everything from
line to loudspeakerlevel as an input and the MFB and the gain of each amp
can be adjusted on the back.

So far I would use them for mixing or as a reduced set for mastering. But
they have a problem!

1. I guess the controls on the back are not calibrated anymore - They look
very diffrent for both speakers and it's not easy for me to adjust this for
linearity.

2. One midrange speaker was brocken (the connection wire to the coil was
burned), I openend the midrange speaker, took one winding of the coil to
have a new connection, soldered it to the cable and now it is working. But
I heard, that as soon you disassemble a speaker, pull the coil out of the
magnet, the speaker is ill. The speaker has a huge magnet and over this
magnet there was a plastic cup. This cup is broken now, and I think the
midrange speaker recieves too much air from the bass speaker.

My questions now:
Do you know the Philips? How do you like them? What would you recommend to
me how to use these speakers?
Do you recommend me not to use the speaker due to the fact that they are
not adjusted (can I do this - how?) and/or the fact that one midrange
speaker is handicaped. (There is a slight difference between both midrange
speakers in sound, but not very extreme)

all-in-all, what would you do with them?
I think they were nice speakers for their age!

Thanks for any comment,

Lukas