Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Philips DCC - stuck cassette drawer

I've got one of the Philips DCC ( digital compact cassette) machines - mains
operated.

Whilst there are some issues with the longevity of the digital recording ( self
erasure ) it's a truly fabulous analogue playback deck which is my main use for
it now.

It's got a motorised cassette drawer that refused to open after a period of not
being used so I opened it up and fiddled with it and got it open.

Trying to find out what was causing the problem I very gently 'poked' a bit more
and now I've jammed it even worse !

Is *anyone* at all familiar with how this crazy drawer mechanism works ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Eeyore wrote:

Is *anyone* at all familiar with how this crazy drawer mechanism works ?

I know how some of the Philips standard cassette machines work. Does it
have a belt on the loading motor by any chance? One that is slipping?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Is *anyone* at all familiar with how this crazy drawer mechanism works ?

I know how some of the Philips standard cassette machines work. Does it
have a belt on the loading motor by any chance? One that is slipping?

It's actually hard to see. I'm trying to get the front panel off to see it
better but I suspect I need the drawer to eject to get the panel off !!!!

It does sound like a slipping belt but there's something quite solid jamming
things. I can't make it move with my finger as I did initially to release the
jam.

I could take some pics and post them in a binaries group.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Homer J Simpson Homer J Simpson is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

It's actually hard to see. I'm trying to get the front panel off to see it
better but I suspect I need the drawer to eject to get the panel off !!!!

Perhaps the front of the drawer slides off? Or there is an eject hole (paper
clip)?

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++
+ Required crap appended to avoid restrictions imposed by brain +

Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Homer J Simpson wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

It's actually hard to see. I'm trying to get the front panel off to see it
better but I suspect I need the drawer to eject to get the panel off !!!!

Perhaps the front of the drawer slides off? Or there is an eject hole (paper
clip)?

I wish ! The drawer is fully motorised both for insertion and retraction.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Eeyore" wrote in message

I wish ! The drawer is fully motorised both for insertion and retraction.

I have a Mitsubishi set-up like that DA-L70/LT-70 programmable 7 tape
changer and record player. Very complex. But you can take the covers off and
wind the mechanism by hand - VERY carefully.

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++
+ Required crap appended to avoid restrictions imposed by brain +
+ damaged idiots.
+
+ Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)', +
+ Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441,
+
+ Error Number: 0x800CCCA9
+
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
frankwm frankwm is offline

This can be an issue with powered Akai doors.
Only a few days back I took a mint 1987 GX-8 from its box - stored
about 2 years.
Inserted tape - then door wouldn't re-open.
Took some time to realise the problem was after the door shuts and the
tape heads are engaged for playback that the transport mechanism didn't
then disengage - leaving the casstte 'locked' into place - with the
powered door trying to open.
The problem is caused by the grease points having solidified/thickened
over time (same on 8000 series Beocords).
If the Philips mechanism is similar check the raise/lower cycle without
a tape in place. If it doesn't disengage smoothly and quickly then
simply oil the relevant joints.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
JANA JANA is offline

Remove the cover, and see what is jammed. The machine may need a new set of
belts. Belts are a common problem. If the machine is an older unit, and has
a lot of hours on it, it is possible that it needs a proper maintenance by
someone who is experienced at this type of work.

--

JANA
_____

"Eeyore" wrote in message
I've got one of the Philips DCC ( digital compact cassette) machines - mains
operated.

Whilst there are some issues with the longevity of the digital recording (
self
erasure ) it's a truly fabulous analogue playback deck which is my main use
for
it now.

It's got a motorised cassette drawer that refused to open after a period of
not
being used so I opened it up and fiddled with it and got it open.

Trying to find out what was causing the problem I very gently 'poked' a bit
more
and now I've jammed it even worse !

Is *anyone* at all familiar with how this crazy drawer mechanism works ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Mikkel Breiler Mikkel Breiler is offline

Eeyore wrote:

Trying to find out what was causing the problem I very gently 'poked' a bit more
and now I've jammed it even worse !
Is *anyone* at all familiar with how this crazy drawer mechanism works ?

Most mechanisms of this kind rely on a small dc motor, the axle of which turn a drive
belt to a pulley which is then scaled down for torque and slow speed. At this point
the tray is connected, it is then that some clever electronics must detect by
contacts that the tray is in closed position or in open position at which points
motor power must be cut. It is usually possible to push the tray and the strain
disconnects the contact that means tray open, thereby prompting the electronics to
power the motor for moving the tray in, unt ilit is again stopped and a contact
meaning closed is activated.
Usually but unfortunately not always the tray has a front plastic part which is
detachable. This part is wide enough to cover the tray and part of the opening on the
front plate whre the tray comes out.
In order to remove it you must determine which way it detaches, on most systems it is
done by moving the plastic part up in relation to the tray, but most often you must
pull the tray out a little to clear the front plate.
Many systems emply some sort of a grip on the tray while in closed mode, which means
you cannot easily pull the tray out using your fingernails. And doing so *might*
damage the tray and or the closed tray detection contact.

The trayscan be implemented in a lots of different ways with the detection contacts
on the point where the tray must stop or on any cogwheel in the assembly.
Sonys trays of the late 80s and early 90s designs for instance, are notorious for
getting out of sync because the movement on the tray is calculated not by the trays
position, but its relation to the cogs on the tray on the cogwheel which travels a
certain milage. When the vogs are worn the tray easily slips, and chaning one habit
of pushing the tray tyo make it close shows up years later as not only a bad habit
but a destructive behaviour. There is a reason why they label the buttons Eject or
Open/Close. Quite possibly the manufacturers one by one realise that people are prone
to push the tray - and actually do so regardless on what the ejection button is
labelled.

I think it is best to attack the problem from the other side, in the absence of a
service manual, or a hole for inserting a straightened paperclip.
It is probably very difficult to remove the cassette while the tray is closed, but
perhaps locating the motor and turning the axle by fingers will determine wether the
mechanism is slipping due to a drive belt getting too old or wether the lubricants
have gone solid, sticky or even turned to a thick paste or powder.
using your fingers on the inside of the deck is should be possible to wind the motor
axle by hand and also help the tray out. Once out remove the cassette and set about
gently dissameble the deck and remove the libricants and clean the remains and relube
using grease fro mthe local electronic component pusher.

Not saying this will be easy or possible without some degree of damage, but trying to
move the tray from inside before trying to violate the tray to open from the outside
usually means less damage.

-Mikkel