hank alrich

Default ITMS Hits 50 Mil Songs Downloaded

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/mar/15itunes.html

Apple today announced that music fans have purchased and downloaded over
50 million songs from Apple's iTunes Music Store, not including songs
redeemed from the currently-running Pepsi iTunes promotion. The 50
millionth song, purchased last Thursday afternoon, was "The Path of
Thorns" by Sarah McLachlan. iTunes users are now downloading 2.5 million
songs per week, which is an annual run rate of 130 million songs per
year.

--
ha
Bob Olhsson

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/mar/15itunes.html

Apple today announced that music fans have purchased and downloaded over
50 million songs from Apple's iTunes Music Store, ...
ha

What's missing from the glowing press release is the fact that this is only
HALF of their original sales projection...

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

hank alrich

Bob Olhsson wrote:

"hank alrich" wrote

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/mar/15itunes.html

Apple today announced that music fans have purchased and downloaded over
50 million songs from Apple's iTunes Music Store, ...

What's missing from the glowing press release is the fact that this is only
HALF of their original sales projection...

Sure, but where in the industry do the smoke-up-our-butts blowers not go
overboard with their projections of sales?

--
ha
ryanm

"hank alrich" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/mar/15itunes.html

Apple today announced that music fans have purchased and downloaded over
50 million songs from Apple's iTunes Music Store, not including songs
redeemed from the currently-running Pepsi iTunes promotion. The 50
millionth song, purchased last Thursday afternoon, was "The Path of
Thorns" by Sarah McLachlan. iTunes users are now downloading 2.5 million
songs per week, which is an annual run rate of 130 million songs per
year.

So is anyone willing to admit that they were wrong, that people *will*
pay for music downloads if a reasonable service is available? Just
checking...

ryanm

Ricky W. Hunt

"ryanm" wrote in message

So is anyone willing to admit that they were wrong, that people *will*
pay for music downloads if a reasonable service is available? Just
checking...

I think that's the bottom line. It just makes the "industry" look even more
out of touch with the times and not knowing their customers.

Dave Lang

I think that's the bottom line. It just makes the "industry" look even more
out of touch with the times and not knowing their customers.

And that's 50 million with a pretty mainstream selection of artists
with compromised sound quality that's only available in the US.......

Looks like the record industry uses the same management consultants
that the NHL does.

xo

dave
ryanm

"Bob Olhsson" wrote in message

What's missing from the glowing press release is the fact that this is

only
HALF of their original sales projection...

Actually, what's missing is the response from all the people who said
that no one would buy music if they could get it for free. Not much to say
now?

ryanm

hank alrich

ryanm wrote:

Actually, what's missing is the response from all the people who said
that no one would buy music if they could get it for free. Not much to say
now?

Hey, now, let's see a demographic breakdown of who is buying online and
who is getting it for free. The poeple buying have enough respect for
the artists they like to pay for the music they want; there are others
who do not share this attitude.

I doubt Apple has converted the thieves.

--
ha
EggHd

Hey, now, let's see a demographic breakdown of who is buying online and
who is getting it for free.

The first while it was open it was MAC OSX users only. Also MAC users don't
have Kaza (or whatever it's called).

I wonder how sales went when Winders was added.

---------------------------------------
Ricky W. Hunt

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .
ryanm wrote:

Actually, what's missing is the response from all the people who

said
that no one would buy music if they could get it for free. Not much to

say
now?

Hey, now, let's see a demographic breakdown of who is buying online and
who is getting it for free. The poeple buying have enough respect for
the artists they like to pay for the music they want; there are others
who do not share this attitude.

I doubt Apple has converted the thieves.

But those people are always going to be a problem regardless of law or how
"good" your anti-theft technology is. You are not "losing" sales you never
had. But you are least picking up some sales from the people who were
willing to buy but didn't because of inconvenience or cost (having to buy a
$15 CD for the one good song for instance).

Stephen Raiman

Do you actually think the rate of legal downloading exceeds the rate
of illegal downloads? Sadly, I think you're dreaming.

I'm so sick of the people trying to justify filesharing.

"ryanm" wrote in message ...
"Bob Olhsson" wrote in message

What's missing from the glowing press release is the fact that this is

only
HALF of their original sales projection...

Actually, what's missing is the response from all the people who said
that no one would buy music if they could get it for free. Not much to say
now?

ryanm

ryanm

"EggHd" wrote in message

The first while it was open it was MAC OSX users only. Also MAC users

don't
have Kaza (or whatever it's called).

I wonder how sales went when Winders was added.

Mac users have LimeWire, and trust me, it is every bit as popular as
Kazaa and the others on the Win platform.

These numbers are post-Win. The original, disappointing numbers that
came out months ago were from when it was Mac only. There aren't enough Mac
users on the planet to account for all of those downloads.

ryanm

ryanm

"Stephen Raiman" wrote in message
om...
Do you actually think the rate of legal downloading exceeds the rate
of illegal downloads? Sadly, I think you're dreaming.

I'm so sick of the people trying to justify filesharing.

There you go again... "IT'S STEEEEEEEEEEEEELIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!!!"

Didn't even bother to grasp the meaning of what I wrote, did you?

A year ago, when this conversation was still fairly new, many people on
this group adamantly insisted that offering a viable alternative (i.e. pay
downloads) wouldn't be worth the trouble, because no one would pay to
download the music if they could get it for free. Hank provided a cite for
an estimated 130 million instances per year to the contrary. Give it a year
or two, when iTunes isn't the only option (with only a largely current pop
catalog to choose from) and the numbers will show the truth.

File sharing doesn't need to be justified, it is simply a tool. Any tool
can be used for illegal purposes, should we outlaw screwdrivers since people
can use them to break into your house? Of course not, that's pure stupidity.
But that is what everyone was railing for. I'm just glad to finally see
evidence that I was, in fact, correct in my estimation of the general
public's willingness to pay for music downloads.

ryanm