Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hal

Default Near-field monitors

Hello all,
Can anyone give me some advice on buying a pair of near-field monitors for
my home computer recording set-up? It seems like self-powered is the best,
as I can avoid having to buy a power amp as well. I see them for anywhere
from $300/pr. to $1,000/pr. or more. I will probably pick them up used on
Craig's list or E-Bay.I would like to spend less than $500. I don't have the
software yet either but am leaning towards Pro Tools.

BTW, although I don't plan to do any pro recording, I am a stickler for
quality sound. That's why I am leaning towards the basic Pro Tools (about
$450 here in Redwood City, CA). Some of the demo's of other software I have
downloaded seemed pretty thin in features and effects. I will be recording
my saxes on top of created drum, bass, etc.
The mic I have now is an Audio Technica ATM63 but I am willing to buy a
newer/better mic if necessary.
Thank you!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
leutholl

I would not recommend to save money on speakers. It is a investment.
try to get a pair of genelec 1029,1030 or even 1031. very clear and a
good depth resolution, they don't colour the sound as other do - it's a
bit pricey but you can use them for many many years.

Lukas Leuthold

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doc Weaver

I argree! Good advice Lukas. Make sure you LISTEN to all sorts of
monitors, and listen for sonic purity, not just over-excited cover ups.
Remember, you can't mix it correctly if you can't hear it correctly.

Doc

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

leutholl wrote:
I would not recommend to save money on speakers. It is a investment.
try to get a pair of genelec 1029,1030 or even 1031. very clear and a
good depth resolution, they don't colour the sound as other do - it's a
bit pricey but you can use them for many many years.

The thing is, the 1029 stinks, and the 1030 and 1031 sound totally different
from one another. Which of these do you really want to buy? You don't know
until you listen.

It's academic since they've all been replaced with the new 8000-series,
which I think are a lot cleaner-sounding, and which sound more like one
another as you go up and down the line.

I agree that you probably want to invest half to 3/4 of your total system
cost in monitors. But what monitors... I can't tell you that. You have
to listen and decide for yourself.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
leutholl

yes of couse, you have to listen!
the 1029 is really a home / hifi box not suited for audio processing
from my point of view!
They all sound different, I own a pair of 1037 they are totally
different compared to the 1030 i have nearby. better resolution and
much more bass accuracy!

There is also another brand called "tannoy" which makes good speakers
having the tweeter in the center of the bass driver. not very expensive
and good enough,

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG

Hal wrote:
[...]

Look online for a powered pair of Tannoy Reveals. Less than
$700 a pair when they were blowing them out, and they are very good
(and not just for the money). Genelecs are flattering and less than
honest in general, which is good for easy listening and sales but not
for surgery IMHO. The Mackie powered speakers are worth a listen as
well, but they cost a bit more.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
(God bless Bob Woodruff...)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
leutholl

It's also a matter of taste. I love the big Genelecs, rather than
mackie or tannoy. all of these speakers are very good no question!
I make good mastering with my genelecs and a good room (which is far
more important than speakers) - so you cant go wrong.

Lukas

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doc Weaver

a good room (which is far more important than speakers)

I'd have to agree with that.

The only experience I have with Tannoys was a few years ago, but they
would fake a ambience that was obviously not going to tape. This lead
you to believe you had wonderful space, but when you played the cut on
something else, it would almost sound mono.

Listen and make your own opinion. All of our opinions are nothing more
than that.......opinions.
Good listening,
Doc

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Doc Weaver wrote:

The only experience I have with Tannoys was a few years ago, but they
would fake a ambience that was obviously not going to tape. This lead
you to believe you had wonderful space, but when you played the cut on
something else, it would almost sound mono.

This is usually due to the combination of a room problem and a wide
dispersion monitor.

Tannoy has three different lines of monitors that are all voiced
differently. Some of them, like the dual concentric designs, are
very wide dispersion. This means you get a nice big sweet spot in
the control room but it also means there's a lot of additional spill
bouncing around in the booth too.

Listen and make your own opinion. All of our opinions are nothing more
than that.......opinions.

And if possible, listen in your own room.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doc Weaver

Has anyone had a chance to check out the Klein-Hummel monitors? I
havn't.
Doc

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Doc Weaver wrote:
Has anyone had a chance to check out the Klein-Hummel monitors? I
havn't.

I tried a couple of them and was impressed. Likewise the Gethain monitors.
Not very exciting-sounding, but a solid and clean midrange.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hal

Thanks to everyone for the input. Does anyone have an opinion as to how to
mic my tenor and soprano saxes? I have on hand an Audio Technica ATM 63 but
will buy whatever is appropriate. Sometimes two mics work better for the
soprano, one about half way up the horn and the other below the bell.
Thanks
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Doc Weaver wrote:
Has anyone had a chance to check out the Klein-Hummel monitors? I
havn't.

I tried a couple of them and was impressed. Likewise the Gethain
monitors.
Not very exciting-sounding, but a solid and clean midrange.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser

Does anyone have an opinion as to how to
mic my tenor and soprano saxes?

Not sure how this question relates to the subject of nearfield
monitors, but nevertheless, an RCA 44 ribbon mic is pretty much the
end-all be-all mic for any members of the saxophone family, if you view
the great Jazz recordings of the 50's & 60's as your model.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser

try to get a pair of genelec 1029,1030 or even 1031. very clear and
good depth resolution, they don't colour the sound as other do - it's a

bit pricey but you can use them for many many years.

This is a very subjective area. I personally find the Genelec 10xx
series extremely irritating & fatiguing, not at all natural, uneven &
deficient in crucial bits of the spectrum. They're very pricy & for
this kind of money there are a lot of speakers that are a lot easier on
the ears, not to mention far more natural & realistic.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Edwin Hurwitz

In article .com,
"Scott Fraser" wrote:

try to get a pair of genelec 1029,1030 or even 1031. very clear and
good depth resolution, they don't colour the sound as other do - it's a

bit pricey but you can use them for many many years.

This is a very subjective area. I personally find the Genelec 10xx
series extremely irritating & fatiguing, not at all natural, uneven &
deficient in crucial bits of the spectrum. They're very pricy & for
this kind of money there are a lot of speakers that are a lot easier on
the ears, not to mention far more natural & realistic.

Scott Fraser

I have to agree with Scott. I found the 1030s even harder to get to
translate than NS10s. Good mixes have been made on them, but why make it
hard on yourself?

YMMV, of course,
Edwin
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ted Perlman

I personally find the Genelec 10xx series extremely irritating & fatiguing,
not at all natural, uneven &
deficient in crucial bits of the spectrum

Well, we agree on that :-)

--
Regards,

Ted Perlman
Producer-Arranger-Composer-Guitarist

www.tedperlman.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
leutholl

hmm. still my masterings are best when i hear through the 1037 pair.
maybe i know the speaker weekness and spots (1.5kHz and 5kHz in IEC
chamber) and compensate this, but IMHO they sound honestly and do not
sweeten the sound - far better than NS-10 and even the small dynaudios.
but the 1037 are mid field monitors maybe we can't compare with the
little ones.

one fact i have to say: It took my a while to get into the sound
compared with other speaker, which performed more colored at first
sight.

can anybody agree on this (maybe having a pair of 1037) or do the
genelecs have a so bad repution? they are pricy yes this is true!

Lukas

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doc Weaver

I am on my way to the music store today to start listening.

Good for you!

Doc

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

leutholl wrote:
hmm. still my masterings are best when i hear through the 1037 pair.
maybe i know the speaker weekness and spots (1.5kHz and 5kHz in IEC
chamber) and compensate this, but IMHO they sound honestly and do not
sweeten the sound - far better than NS-10 and even the small dynaudios.
but the 1037 are mid field monitors maybe we can't compare with the
little ones.

one fact i have to say: It took my a while to get into the sound
compared with other speaker, which performed more colored at first
sight.

can anybody agree on this (maybe having a pair of 1037) or do the
genelecs have a so bad repution? they are pricy yes this is true!

If you like it and you get good mixes, they're fine.

I found the 1037 to have some funny narrowband stuff going on around 500 Hz
or so... sort of like the organ pipe resonance that the 1032 does. I also
think the high frequency localization isn't any good. But I have worked with
plenty of monitors that sound a lot worse.

The best of the Genelec set I think has always been the S30... which they
are now discontinuing....