Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant David Grant is offline

Default Field recording monitors

I'm looking for a pair of portable monitors for doing rough checks of levels
and stereo image for location recordings (jazz/classical). Google search of
this group didn't show much for Genelec 8020a's. Are these appropriate
monitors for the task? Anyone have any comments on their use for this
application?

Thanks,

David

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 13:01:33 -0500, "David Grant"
wrote:

I'm looking for a pair of portable monitors for doing rough checks of levels
and stereo image for location recordings (jazz/classical). Google search of
this group didn't show much for Genelec 8020a's. Are these appropriate
monitors for the task? Anyone have any comments on their use for this
application?

Thanks,

David

For location recordings get some headphones and learn how they sound.
You won't find enough consistency in any location rooms to monitor
through speakers.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

I'm looking for a pair of portable monitors for doing rough checks of
levels
and stereo image for location recordings (jazz/classical). Google search
of
this group didn't show much for Genelec 8020a's. Are these appropriate
monitors for the task? Anyone have any comments on their use for this
application?

Thanks,

David

For location recordings get some headphones and learn how they sound.
You won't find enough consistency in any location rooms to monitor
through speakers.

A problem even if i get up really close to them?

I've used cans in the past... Everything tends to sound good through them. I
feel like I need something more discriminating. Or at least, I think I need
something in ADDITION to the headphones to check.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

David Grant wrote:
I'm looking for a pair of portable monitors for doing rough checks of levels
and stereo image for location recordings (jazz/classical). Google search of
this group didn't show much for Genelec 8020a's. Are these appropriate
monitors for the task? Anyone have any comments on their use for this
application?

They aren't bad, in spite of the restricted LF, but the dispersion is a
little wider than you might want in a bad room and they are heavier than
you might want to carry around.

The NHT Super One has a less-neutral midrange, but a little narrower
dispersion and is lighter (though you'll need an amp).

SLS makes some very tight small monitors. No LF (as you would expect from
a little box) and a tiny sweet spot, but that's life.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

David Grant wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote in message

For location recordings get some headphones and learn how they sound.
You won't find enough consistency in any location rooms to monitor
through speakers.

A problem even if i get up really close to them?

Yes, it's a severe problem.

I've used cans in the past... Everything tends to sound good through them. I
feel like I need something more discriminating. Or at least, I think I need
something in ADDITION to the headphones to check.

It's impossible to judge imaging on headphones, and it's difficult to
judge ambient-direct balances. As a result, speakers in the field kit
are essential. But yes, you will have issues with room consistency and
there is no way you can judge low end effectively on small monitors in
an untreated and often unknown room. Life is just like that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

wrote:

[...]

OK. A pair of Tannoy Reveal 6 shouldn't take up too much room. If you
get the active ones you can make some reasonable guesses about their
eq settings based on room dimensions.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

It's impossible to judge imaging on headphones, and it's difficult to
judge ambient-direct balances.

I disagree. But headphone listening is tiring and is unsafe.

As a result, speakers in the field kit are essential.

Powered not very costly speakers were sure nice to have when recording a
Messiah ... that lead to me later buying a pair of those that were on trial
at that recording, primarily however to have a means of playback if
required.

--scott

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
I've used cans in the past... Everything tends to sound good through

them. I
feel like I need something more discriminating. Or at least, I think I

need
something in ADDITION to the headphones to check.

OK. A pair of Tannoy Reveal 6 shouldn't take up too much room. If you
get the active ones you can make some reasonable guesses about their
eq settings based on room dimensions.

And you won't need to schlep around an amplifier.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

David Grant wrote:

I'm looking for a pair of portable monitors for doing rough checks of levels
and stereo image for location recordings (jazz/classical). Google search of
this group didn't show much for Genelec 8020a's. Are these appropriate
monitors for the task? Anyone have any comments on their use for this
application?

I don't know the 8020A's, but I am presently using a pair of 8040A's
that I'd think are small enough to transport for field work. I am
impressed with them so far. They have very good bass extension for a
speaker so small, and seem to reveal detail very well.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Edwin Hurwitz Edwin Hurwitz is offline

In article ,
"David Grant" wrote:

I'm looking for a pair of portable monitors for doing rough checks of levels
and stereo image for location recordings (jazz/classical). Google search of
this group didn't show much for Genelec 8020a's. Are these appropriate
monitors for the task? Anyone have any comments on their use for this
application?

Thanks,

David

I got a pair of JBL LSR25ps on ebay for $200 and they've been great as
location speakers. I wanted something that had a speaker grill to
protect it from damage that can happen in unknown environs. I've been
surprised at how decent they sound in various rooms. The only downside
is the weight, but you can get a nice bag with wheels and handles for
them.

Edwin
--
If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your
enemies.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Clayton Mike Clayton is offline

On Jan 4, 7:01*am, "David Grant" wrote:
I'm looking for a pair of portable monitors for doing rough checks of levels
and stereo image for location recordings (jazz/classical). Google search of
this group didn't show much for Genelec 8020a's. Are these appropriate
monitors for the task? Anyone have any comments on their use for this
application?

Thanks,

David

I use a pair of KEF C30. Got them at a second hand store for NZ$200.00
10 years ago. I use a 1 rack space high Bryston Lb 20 amp to drive
them. Not light, but I have transport solutions.

I also have a pair of AKG headphones. If it's a gig where I know the
room and there is only a stereo pair involved I leave the speakers and
amp at home and just use the headphones.

The KEFs are somewhat lifted at the top end, but produce reasonable
bass response close to a reflective surface.

Good luck with your search.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 13:35:55 -0500, David Grant wrote
(in article ) :

wrote:

[...]

What phones did you use in the past?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 16:26:22 -0500, Paul Stamler wrote
(in article ):

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
I've used cans in the past... Everything tends to sound good through

them. I
feel like I need something more discriminating. Or at least, I think I

need
something in ADDITION to the headphones to check.

OK. A pair of Tannoy Reveal 6 shouldn't take up too much room. If you
get the active ones you can make some reasonable guesses about their
eq settings based on room dimensions.

And you won't need to schlep around an amplifier.

Peace,
Paul

Wait! How about the AKG 1000 headphones. They're like little speakers that
hang just off the ear. Takes a power amp to drive 'em.

Near-field monitors Hal Pro Audio 19 February 1st 06 02:45 PM
Near Field Monitors?? Jack Dotson Pro Audio 17 February 17th 05 11:05 PM
Near Field monitors needed? JJSmithin Pro Audio 5 November 26th 04 07:31 PM
Near Field monitors needed? JJSmithin Pro Audio 0 November 23rd 04 06:40 AM
recording multitrack audio on the field (i mean "on the field" !) who did that ? Philippe bdc Pro Audio 1 August 31st 04 06:25 PM