Phil Price

Default Rear unsupported??? Mounting a DIN radio in a Dodge RAM

Hi,

I just installed a DIN Pioneer radio in my son's Dakota and had the same
problem. The front of the radio had four mounting holes
in the front bracket. I couldn't devise anyway to support the back of the
radio (without a whole lot of work) but with just the 4 screws in the front
it was pretty stable, the Pioneeer wasn't as heavy as the factory radio.
What you can do if you want to go to the trouble is make a shelf that
attaches to the bottom of the radio and cut the legs the length to where the
back of the radio sits at
the proper height, but there's really no way to attach the bottom of the
bracket to the dash.

Hope this helps.

"Ignoramus26983" wrote in message
I am going to mount a normal DIN radio in a 1999' Dodge RAM 1500. I
bought a Scosche installation kit from walmart. It appears that it has
a front mounting bracket, but absolutely nothing to support the
rear. Because the opening for the radio is larger than the radio, it
seems that the rear of the radio will be unsupported. Is that true,
and if so, how can I make the radio mounted in a more stable fashion.

Bob

"Ignoramus26983" wrote in message
I am going to mount a normal DIN radio in a 1999' Dodge RAM 1500. I
bought a Scosche installation kit from walmart. It appears that it has
a front mounting bracket, but absolutely nothing to support the
rear. Because the opening for the radio is larger than the radio, it
seems that the rear of the radio will be unsupported. Is that true,
and if so, how can I make the radio mounted in a more stable fashion.

I just bought a new Blaupunkt CD receiver for my '95 Ram 1500. I bought it
through Crutchfield, who supplies all the necessary stuff to make it fit,
including a factory-sized wire harness plugs. The receiver itself came with
a simple piece of metal strapping to support the rear (which the manual says
is important).

A simple metal strap attached from the back of your radio (it should have a
threaded hole in the back for attachment) to something solid in the dash
above should work fine....

Take it easy,
Bob Scott

Mark Zarella

Maybe I will simply glue a couple of pieces of wood, to the bottom of
the radio.

Be careful. Some radios can get quite hot, and interrupting the heat
dissipation can be harmful.

fhlh002

I had a 99 ram install at one time... I didn't use anything (had the same
dash kit) to support the rear of the unit and had no issues.... I say forget
about it. I currently have an 03 with Scosche kit and still.... the rear of
the unit is not strapped in, still, no issues

FHLH