Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott

Default anybody have a pet cat

I swear....... Does anybody that id interested in ultimate sound
quality have pet cat..... If you can fool a momma cat with a
condensor mic recording of her baby kittens played from your pc
through yours sound system, you've acheived nearly 85% total sonic
perfection..........just something for you audiophiles to
consider.........do the math some time......
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dennis Moore

Doesn't take much then.

Just happen to have some experience at this.

In late 60's got one of the first portable cassette recorders. A monaural
GE with small condenser mike. Recorded anything and everything.
Including birds, mama cat and kittens, sister's cat, my dog. You get
the picture.

Now record/playback fidelity couldn't have been too great. S/N of
maybe 40 dB. Frequency response 100 hz to 6 or 8khz maybe?

Anyway, was able to fool the cat with kitten sounds, dog sounds,
and could make it jump up wildly to get not existent birds behind
curtains. Your going to need a better test than this.

Not to mention, ever seen a flock of crows responding to a very low fi
crow caller played through a megaphone?

Dennis

"Scott" wrote in message
I swear....... Does anybody that id interested in ultimate sound
quality have pet cat..... If you can fool a momma cat with a
condensor mic recording of her baby kittens played from your pc
through yours sound system, you've acheived nearly 85% total sonic
perfection..........just something for you audiophiles to
consider.........do the math some time......

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steven Sullivan

Dennis Moore wrote:
Doesn't take much then.

No, it doesn't. Back in the early 80s a pet dog of mine used to listen quizzically to my Bose
901s whenever I played the Pink Floyd track 'Dogs'.

___
-S
"Excuse me? What solid proof do you have that I'm insane?" - soundhaspriority
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Scott wrote:
I swear....... Does anybody that id interested in ultimate sound
quality have pet cat..... If you can fool a momma cat with a
condensor mic recording of her baby kittens played from your pc
through yours sound system, you've acheived nearly 85% total sonic
perfection..........just something for you audiophiles to
consider.........

Most cats that we have had have come running and paid strict
attention when there's been a cat on the TV, played through the
cheap-ass built-in speakers.

I doubt VERY seriously that cats evolved to have that restricted
a sense of hearing: that the sounds of one of their kittens mewing
must be JUST so. Cats are designed to survive in adverse
conditions, conditions that do NOT lend themselves readily
to the ultimate in audio fidelity, conditions that are noisy,
have significant bandwidth anomolies and more. They'll come
running if there's something that sound vaguely like their kitten
in distress.

How well do you think cats would survive if they sound had to
be EXACTLY perfect?

do the math some time......

What math would that be?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Well....

85% perfection still leaves 15% THD...

hee hee.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Scott" wrote in message
I swear....... Does anybody that id interested in ultimate sound
quality have pet cat..... If you can fool a momma cat with a
condensor mic recording of her baby kittens played from your pc
through yours sound system, you've acheived nearly 85% total sonic
perfection..........just something for you audiophiles to
consider.........do the math some time......

I have a sampler CD that has a track on it where there are cat sounds. I
had to stop playing it if the cat was in the house, because she would
scratch at the grill cloth on the speaker nearest to her. The track, if
you'rew interested, is "What's It Gonna Be" by TannaLou Cat & Friends, from
Big Y
Productions.