Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

Default Review of new Aston Origin LD condenser mic

Read about it. See it. Hear it.

Lemme know what you think.

Regards,

Ty Ford

http://tinyurl.com/ydy9rzlm
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 11:28:06 -0700 (PDT), Ty Ford
wrote:

Read about it. See it. Hear it.

Lemme know what you think.

Regards,

Ty Ford

http://tinyurl.com/ydy9rzlm

Interesting mic. But do you have a recording with it backed away about
6 feet? All I could really hear was boom.

But each new mic raises the same question. What exactly is it for? I
mean, what acoustic or price gap did the designer identify, and how is
it intended to fill that gap. With the flood of high quality ribbons
and condensors that resulted from high-precision, low-cost CNC it is
increasingly hard to identify a market space for something new.

Ty, if anyone understands this, it is you. What do you think?

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

Interesting mic. But do you have a recording with it backed away about
6 feet? All I could really hear was boom.

But each new mic raises the same question. What exactly is it for? I
mean, what acoustic or price gap did the designer identify, and how is
it intended to fill that gap. With the flood of high quality ribbons
and condensors that resulted from high-precision, low-cost CNC it is
increasingly hard to identify a market space for something new.

Ty, if anyone understands this, it is you. What do you think?

Don,

Nope. Just what you see and hear. What are you listening on that "booms?"

Was it Josh's piece? That booms on my MacBook Pro because the speakers are the size of a dime and because of the frequencies coming off of the baritone guitar.

Yes, there are more than enough mics on the market. Each endeavor hopes to grab a profitable niche. Along the way we all hope someone does something different enough to warrant a sale.

Regards,

Ty
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 23/10/2017 5:37 AM, Ty Ford wrote:
[...]

Why are you listening to *anything* on MacBookPro speakers ?!! Known
headphones at least would enable some sort of valuable evaluation, at
almost no extra effort.

FWIW to me the baritone guitar sounded a bit 'shoe-boxy'. But that may
be just how that, or the room, sounds.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 23/10/2017 8:37 AM, geoff wrote:
On 23/10/2017 5:37 AM, Ty Ford wrote:
Interesting mic. But do you have a recording with it backed away about
6 feet? All I could really hear was boom.

But each new mic raises the same question. What exactly is it for? I
mean, what acoustic or price gap did the designer identify, and how is
it intended to fill that gap. With the flood of high quality ribbons
and condensors that resulted from high-precision, low-cost CNC it is
increasingly hard to identify a market space for something new.

Ty, if anyone understands this, it is you. What do you think?

Don,

Nope. Just what you see and hear.Â* What are you listening on that
"booms?"

Was it Josh's piece? That booms on my MacBook Pro because the speakers
are the size of a dime and because of the frequencies coming off of
the baritone guitar.

Yes, there are more than enough mics on the market. Each endeavor
hopes to grab a profitable niche. Along the way we all hope someone
does something different enough to warrant a sale.

Why are you listening to *anything* on MacBookPro speakers ?!! Known
headphones at least would enable some sort of valuable evaluation, at
almost no extra effort.

I'm with you on that, I always use a headphone amp and headphones when I
can't use good speakers for ANY listening. Anything else is just not
worth the effort IMO.

Trevor

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/23/2017 12:45 AM, Trevor wrote:
I'm with you on that, I always use a headphone amp and headphones when I
can't use good speakers for ANY listening. Anything else is just not
worth the effort IMO.

Wait a minute! Did Ty REALLY write that a mic sounded boomy when
listening to it from Macbook speakers? I'd think that no mic would sound
boomy, and any mic would sound tinny.

Ty knows better than this. There must be more to this than a phrase out
of context. But that's what you (don't) get on the Internet sometimes.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 09:37:00 -0700 (PDT), Ty Ford
wrote:

[...]

It was the very first piece that boomed for me. It was like the
close-mic bass lift wasn't fully eq'd away.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 23/10/2017 10:37 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 10/23/2017 12:45 AM, Trevor wrote:
I'm with you on that, I always use a headphone amp and headphones when
I can't use good speakers for ANY listening. Anything else is just not
worth the effort IMO.

Wait a minute!Â* Did Ty REALLY write that a mic sounded boomy when
listening to it from Macbook speakers? I'd think that no mic would sound
boomy, and any mic would sound tinny.

Me too. Can't imagine ANY laptop speakers sounding boomy on anything!

Ty knows better than this. There must be more to this than a phrase out
of context. But that's what you (don't) get on the Internet sometimes.

But it wasn't Ty who said that, was it?

Trevor.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 24/10/2017 10:11 a.m., Trevor wrote:
On 23/10/2017 10:37 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:

But it wasn't Ty who said that, was it?

Trevor.

Don Pearce

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 13:07:27 +1300, geoff
wrote:

On 24/10/2017 10:11 a.m., Trevor wrote:
On 23/10/2017 10:37 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:

But it wasn't Ty who said that, was it?

Trevor.

Don Pearce

No, it was Ty. I said it sounded boomy, but it was Ty who mentioned
boominess through Mac speakers.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

On 24/10/2017 10:11 a.m., Trevor wrote:
On 23/10/2017 10:37 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:

But it wasn't Ty who said that, was it?

Trevor.

Don Pearce

No, it was Ty. I said it sounded boomy, but it was Ty who mentioned
boominess through Mac speakers.

That probably have a "bass" resonance in what the world calls low
midrange, and resonances can get revealed even if the sound in that
range is not loud.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

wrote:
On 24/10/2017 10:11 a.m., Trevor wrote:
On 23/10/2017 10:37 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
But it wasn't Ty who said that, was it?

No, it was Ty. I said it sounded boomy, but it was Ty who mentioned
boominess through Mac speakers.

That probably have a "bass" resonance in what the world calls low
midrange, and resonances can get revealed even if the sound in that
range is not loud.

But have you actually heard a laptop with low enough midrange Peter?
More likely just the usual distortion I think.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
On 24/10/2017 10:11 a.m., Trevor wrote:
On 23/10/2017 10:37 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
But it wasn't Ty who said that, was it?

No, it was Ty. I said it sounded boomy, but it was Ty who mentioned
boominess through Mac speakers.

That probably have a "bass" resonance in what the world calls low
midrange, and resonances can get revealed even if the sound in that
range is not loud.

But have you actually heard a laptop with low enough midrange Peter?
More likely just the usual distortion I think.

MY 2007 HP Pavillion with the screen at the proper angle to the case
would be one. It still kinda works ...

Trevor.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen