Marantz 7--Why so expensive??

Old August 20th 17, 02:34 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Marantz 7--Why so expensive??

On Tuesday, October 20, 1998 at 4:00:00 PM UTC+9, David Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't want to start a price-flame war, but I'm simply curious as to why
> Marantz 7 preamps command such high prices compared to other tube preamps
> of their era.
>
> I've looked at a schematic for the Marantz preamp, and it appears to me to
> be a well-implemented, but fairly conventional, design. I have seen one
> opened up for service, before, though I've never heard one in operation,
> and the only unusual thing I noticed was the placement of the tubes. In
> fact, it doesn't seem to differ too much in terms of circuit design from
> the McIntosh C22 preamp, which I've seen offered at somewhat lower prices.
>
> In fact, for $2-3K, it seems to me that you could build a really good
> preamp--one that had far fewer switches in the signal path than the
> Marantz 7 and one that had things like a stepped attenuator volume
> control. For that matter, it wouldn't be hard to duplicate the Marantz
> design. Power amps are harder to copy due to the output transformers, but
> preamps are generally built from commonly available parts.
>
> So, are the high prices just due to collectors value--the thrill one gets
> from owning something with a certain name and number on it--or is there
> something else that I'm missing?
>
> Regards,
> David Anderson
>
> --
> I refuse to accept any unauthorized or unsolicited E-mail
> communications.
>
> The sending of an unsolicited E-mail communication shall
> be proof that the sender has agreed, by action, to send $500.00
> US/ certified funds to me, prior to any unsolicited or unauthorized
> transmission.
>
> "By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
> meets the definition of a telephone fax machine.
> By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
> advertisement to such equipment.
> By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
> punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
> whichever is greater, for each violation."

When the buyers go crazy, the sellers go crazy to counter... Thats why the 7's are selling like crazy with unreasonably high prices
Old August 21st 17, 02:06 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck

I think the proper term is Yichis. Why the same suit from Brooks Brothers is worth more than from Krass Brothers.

Marantz has the legend and the pedigree, largely derived from the 10B, that makes the other components in that series valuable. A "Matched Set" as it were.

Is the 7/7B anything special? It was at the time. Now, there are better. Along with the 8/8B & 9/9B. There are better.

Would I spend that kind of money? No. Even if I were stupidly rich. There are better places to spend for better results.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA