What is the most powerful audio output tube?

Old December 8th 16, 04:19 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
boomer#[email protected]

Default What is the most powerful audio output tube?

What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
output?

I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6 tubes,
which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel", but I'm
looking into other possible tubes.

At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6, but
after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a different
envelope (plate on the top cap).

I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel), from
all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get around 120W
RMS (per channel).

Old December 8th 16, 04:39 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
Bitrex

On 12/08/2016 10:19 AM, wrote:
> What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
> output?
>
> I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
> parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6 tubes,
> which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel", but I'm
> looking into other possible tubes.
>
> At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6, but
> after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a different
> envelope (plate on the top cap).
>
> I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel), from
> all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get around 120W
> RMS (per channel).

The output tranny required for 500 watts RMS is going to be a huge piece
of ****-off iron that will probably set you back the better part of a
grand, at least.

500 watts RMS from four tubes will require you to step up way beyond
6L6es and 807s, I think. You're probably going to want to look at
something like RF power triodes or tetrodes, 813s or the GU-13 if you're
okay with going ex-Soviet.

I am not a pro tube guy though so that's just my guess.

Old December 8th 16, 04:49 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
Tauno Voipio

On 8.12.16 17:19, wrote:
> What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
> output?
>
> I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
> parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6 tubes,
> which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel", but I'm
> looking into other possible tubes.
>
> At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6, but
> after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a different
> envelope (plate on the top cap).
>
> I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel), from
> all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get around 120W
> RMS (per channel).

807 is the transmitting version of 6L6, so it's no wonder that it looks
similar.

For the power level you're after, you may need real transmitting tubes,
e.g. a pair of 3-500Z's. Please understand that the voltages and
currents encountered at those power levels will be lethal in careless
hands.

--

-TV

Old December 8th 16, 04:51 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
Ralph Barone[_3_]

> wrote:
> What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
> output?
>
> I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
> parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6 tubes,
> which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel", but I'm
> looking into other possible tubes.
>
> At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6, but
> after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a different
> envelope (plate on the top cap).
>
> I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel), from
> all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get around 120W
> RMS (per channel).

Go big or go home.
http://www.g8wrb.org/tetrodes/

Old December 8th 16, 05:07 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
Baron[_2_]

prodded the keyboard with:

> What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
> output?
>
> I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
> parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6
> tubes, which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel",
> but I'm looking into other possible tubes.
>
> At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6,
> but after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a
> different envelope (plate on the top cap).
>
> I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel),
> from all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get
> around 120W RMS (per channel).

Have a look for a Trix cinema amplifier, they did one that used a pair
of 813's at around 500 W rms 100 volt line out.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Old December 8th 16, 05:36 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob

On 12/08/16 07:19, so wittily quipped:
> What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
> output?
>
> I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
> parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6 tubes,
> which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel", but I'm
> looking into other possible tubes.
>
> At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6, but
> after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a different
> envelope (plate on the top cap).
>
> I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel), from
> all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get around 120W
> RMS (per channel).

you'd probably do well with 6550, or KT88 (or maybe 8417 if you can find
them) - I think you'd need 6 of them for 500W. Output transformer might
be a bit more difficult.

this page shows the 1650W for 280W and 6 to 8 output tubes

http://www.hammondmfg.com/1608.htm

if you're desperate, you could just bridge two of them to get 560W, or
tweek the circuit and use the 8 ohm output on 4 ohms and run the risk of
frying the transformer at some point...

Old December 8th 16, 05:55 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
John Larkin[_2_]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../Tubes/833.jpg

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Old December 8th 16, 05:59 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
John Larkin[_2_]

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 10:39:35 -0500, bitrex
> wrote:

>On 12/08/2016 10:19 AM, wrote:
>> What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
>> output?
>>
>> I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
>> parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6 tubes,
>> which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel", but I'm
>> looking into other possible tubes.
>>
>> At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6, but
>> after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a different
>> envelope (plate on the top cap).
>>
>> I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel), from
>> all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get around 120W
>> RMS (per channel).
>>

>The output tranny required for 500 watts RMS is going to be a huge piece
>of ****-off iron that will probably set you back the better part of a
>grand, at least.
>
>500 watts RMS from four tubes will require you to step up way beyond
>6L6es and 807s, I think. You're probably going to want to look at
>something like RF power triodes or tetrodes, 813s or the GU-13 if you're
>okay with going ex-Soviet.
>
>I am not a pro tube guy though so that's just my guess.

The transformer is the problem, especially if you go with a giant
transmitting tube that runs at high plate voltages.

There have been transformerless audio power amps, using that beast
low-mu triode tube, the one Tek used in their B+ regulators.

Why not use mosfets? Toobs are silly.

Old December 8th 16, 06:40 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck

On Thursday, December 8, 2016 at 10:20:48 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
> output?

Unless you want to go into the esoteric and include commercial level transmitting tubes, stick with the established types. Leaving you with the KT88/6550/KT90 family of tubes, probably eight of them in PP to get anywhere near 500 watts and within a comfortable operating range for the tubes. 813s will be operating at 2,500 V on the plates, or thereabout. You would only need four of these.

I expect you will be winding your own transformers. For, if you "pay the man" for them, and unless you go to Piltron for a custom wind (their 400W toroidal OPT is considerably over US$400) you are not going to find any off-the-shelf devices in the 500 W range

Or, for the price of one single 400W off the shelf OPT, you could go "Class D" and fit it onto one small chassis for all 500 watts per channel.

http://www.parts-express.com/sure-el...campaign= pla

All that, keep in mind that owning a very large tube amplifier is much like owning a horse. Every tube is a "consumable", and around here at the typical output watts x 2.5 = input watts, you would be spending $0.35/hour to operate the beast. Keeping in mind how much of a tube amp's consumption goes up in heat vs. a solid-state device.

At this moment, I have four (4) tube amplifiers in the inventory, from the honking Scott LK150 at the one end, to the Dynaco ST35 at the other. When I need brute force (Maggies, AR3as), I have a couple of very large HK SS power amps to pull those trains.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old December 8th 16, 06:44 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tubes
Tim Wescott

On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 09:19:23 -0600, boomer#6877250 wrote:

> What is the most powerful audio output tube, as far as RMS wattage
> output?
>
> I have gotten some powerful sound from four 6L6 tubes in push-pull
> parallel. but I want more. I know it's possible to use eight 6L6 tubes,
> which I believe is called " push-pull parallel - parallel", but I'm
> looking into other possible tubes.
>
> At one time, I thought the 807 tube was more powerful than the 6L6, but
> after careful research, it's almost identical, but with a different
> envelope (plate on the top cap).
>
> I'm looking to get a full 500W RMS (or more) output (per channel), from
> all tubes, .... With four 6L6 tubes in PPP, I can only get around 120W
> RMS (per channel).

AM Radio stations used some that would do 50,000W, I believe. Is that
sufficient?

You don't want the "most powerful" tube -- you just want one that fits
your wimpy (relative to "big radio") requirements.

If you're serious about this, get this book. It'll provide hours of
drooling entertainment if you're just a fanboy, so it'll still be worth
it:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...be-manual-tt-5

There are a lot of tubes that will do your job that are both in that book
and available.

The 1625 is basically an 807 with a different base and a 12V filament --
all other ratings are the same. It's much cheaper than the 807 from
tubesandmore.com. Eight of them (enough to do 500W) is cheaper than a
pair of 813's, and they'll run at a much less lethal plate voltage.

A pair of 4-1000A tubes would be dandy, but I don't know where to find
them (I'm a fanboy, not an expert).

Note that ALL of the tubes I'm mentioning here are radio tubes, not
audiophile tubes -- if you judge an amplifier by more than how hot it
gets and how much it costs, you may not be happy with the sound.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested