Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt[_9_] Matt[_9_] is offline

Default Head unit cutting out, prob. simple solution... HELP ;)

Hi,

I have a Sony head unit (CDX-MP70) RMS 23x4 Peak 52x4. I have it hooked up
to 4 Infinity Kappa 62.5i 6.5 speakers. When I turn up the volume maybe a
little less than half way or more on the head unit the unit cuts out/shuts
off, then in about 5 seconds it pops back on and continues playing, but will
cut out again if I don't lower the volume. From what I understand the head
unit should handle the speakers no problem. Can anyone shed some light on
what might be the problem? The head unit (in the back) does get warm-hot
but not real hot to the touch. No water damage or other phsyical damage has
been done.

Thanks for any info.

-Matt

Posted to rec.audio.car
Ender W Ender W is offline

"Matt" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Sony head unit (CDX-MP70) RMS 23x4 Peak 52x4. I have it hooked
up to 4 Infinity Kappa 62.5i 6.5 speakers. When I turn up the volume
maybe a little less than half way or more on the head unit the unit cuts
out/shuts off, then in about 5 seconds it pops back on and continues
playing, but will cut out again if I don't lower the volume. From what I
understand the head unit should handle the speakers no problem. Can
anyone shed some light on what might be the problem? The head unit (in
the back) does get warm-hot but not real hot to the touch. No water
damage or other phsyical damage has been done.

Thanks for any info.

-Matt

Hello Matt
It sounds like you have a speaker wires grounding.
This is the easiest to try to see if you can narrow the problem
Try fading it all the way to back and trying it again and see if it still
cuts out.
If it still does it, try fading the unit all the way to the front and see if
it stops.
If it stops when you fade to the front, then one of the back speakers is
grounding
If it stops when you fade to the rear, then one of the front speakers is
grounding.
The problem could be at the speaker or behind the radio if the wires were
not covered good

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tim Smith Tim Smith is offline

Hi Matt,

A poor ground or power connection can cause such a problem.

Tim

"Matt" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Sony head unit (CDX-MP70) RMS 23x4 Peak 52x4. I have it hooked
up to 4 Infinity Kappa 62.5i 6.5 speakers. When I turn up the volume
maybe a little less than half way or more on the head unit the unit cuts
out/shuts off, then in about 5 seconds it pops back on and continues
playing, but will cut out again if I don't lower the volume. From what I
understand the head unit should handle the speakers no problem. Can
anyone shed some light on what might be the problem? The head unit (in
the back) does get warm-hot but not real hot to the touch. No water
damage or other phsyical damage has been done.

Thanks for any info.

-Matt

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I know Ender is just trying to help but I have to disagree.

If one of your speaker leads grounds-out it will stop producing sound,
period. Try it if you don't believe me.

My guess is simply a case of the HU going into thermal protection mode and
shutting off until the volume is turned down. There are many ways this can
happen. You may have your speakers wired incorrectly so that your HU is
seeing too great a load, in other words, the impedence is too low. This can
happen if you have your front and rear wired in parrell so your HU is seeing
a 2 ohm load. Or perhaps you have two sets of speakers up front or in back
wired in parrell. Maybe, GOD FORBID, you are also trying to run a sub off
your HU (I doubt this is the case). Basically, it COULD be too many
speakers.

Also, some speaker manufacturers build their speakers with very low
impedences (I know for a FACT Infinity is guilty of this). This will
increase the efficency of the speaker and in a showroom will make the
speakers appear louder with the same amount of power (this will often appeal
to consumers). Infinity claims that almost all HU's can handle an impedence
of 3 ohms. This is true at lower volumes, but at higher volumes it may
simply be a case of your HU overheating and you have everything wired
exactly right.

The easy fix is to buy an amplifier. Not only will this cure the problem
but will improve the dynamics (the difference between the loudest and
quitest parts of your music) and clarity. The Kappa series tends to sound
very good and definately deserves an amplifier, especially if you want to
get the most out of your speakers.

MOSFET

"Ender W" kalelmail (@) yahoo.com wrote in message
ng.com...

"Matt" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] alschnelle@yahoo.com is offline

What do I do if I have this problem but I already have a kenwood HU running the signal to an amp (alpine pdx v9) and the radio cuts in and out. It does not shut off the radio. Its just stops playing for like 10 seconds and then will play for like 10 seconds and just does this constantly?