Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Graeme and Erin

Default Windows Media Player 11

Shiiiite....just sitting here being blown away...is it THAT much better than
WMP 10??
Does software make THAT much difference???
Extended beautiful highs...air....wow, the soundstage height and depth seems
10x better...
Can anyone else please comment or have I just had toooo many happy pills
today!?!?!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Graeme and Erin wrote:
Shiiiite....just sitting here being blown away...is it THAT much better than
WMP 10??
Does software make THAT much difference???
Extended beautiful highs...air....wow, the soundstage height and depth seems
10x better...
Can anyone else please comment or have I just had toooo many happy pills
today!?!?!

I'll comment, since I've tested many software media players. I just
d/l'ed and tested WMP11, based on your comments, because I'm always
searching for the best sounding player. Well, although not having
compared it directly to my previous version, WMP9, I can say that
indeed, it sounds far superior to it, from my memory of WMP9. But when
I compared it directly with some players that I know to be good, ie. my
favourite player, UltraPlayer, it does not come close to beating it.
Not in terms of "highs, air, soundstage size" etc (UP has actually
quite a dark character, next to WMP11), but in terms of its ability to
play "music", WMP only knows how to play "sounds". For example, sounds
are painted with the same broad brush stroke, and the timbre of
individual instruments do not stand apart as they do on UltraPlayer.
Voices are not as natural either, bass not as melodic (though neither
as exaggerated).

As for, does software make a difference, yes OF COURSE! The sound
quality you get from your computer speakers relies as much on the
software you use, as the speakers or sound card you use. Its just like
with conventional home audio: garbage in, garbage out. Whether you're
talking about media players, burning software, extraction software or
whatever.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eiron

wrote:

Graeme and Erin wrote:

[...]

What particular feature of WMP11 have you tested?

Playing CDs, WMP sends the same data to the sound card as any other player,
and they all sound the same. There is scope for differences when compressing
data but a brief test suggests that WMP10 and WMP11 sound identical in this respect.

Now, how do I uninstall the bloody thing?

--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.