Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Shure KSM8 polarity

I have an enquiry from a client who has decided to replace a capsule on
a cabled KSM8 mic. He received the mic with the wires already
disconnected and does not know which way around to connect then to the XLR.

He says there is a red and a green wire from capsule. I suggested red
would likely go to pin 2 and green to pin 3, pin 1 being fixed to the
casing. But I can't be shure (ha ha). Anybody know ?

And no suggestions to contact the distributors here - the client *is*
the distributors ! Just no time to get in touch with Shure USA because
of our time difference.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/8/2019 12:40 AM, geoff wrote:
He says there is a red and a green wire from capsule. I suggested red
would likely go to pin 2 and green to pin 3, pin 1 being fixed to the
casing.Â* But I can't be shure (ha ha). Anybody know ?

And no suggestions to contact the distributors here - the client *is*
the distributors ! Just no time to get in touch with Shure USA because
of our time difference.

How bizzare! But why not just hook it up one way and test it against
another mic that you know is correct (ask the distributor to lend you
another KSM8 if you want to be Shure). If it's wrong, swap the wires.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 8/04/2019 11:13 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/8/2019 12:40 AM, geoff wrote:
He says there is a red and a green wire from capsule. I suggested red
would likely go to pin 2 and green to pin 3, pin 1 being fixed to the
casing.Â* But I can't be shure (ha ha). Anybody know ?

And no suggestions to contact the distributors here - the client *is*
the distributors ! Just no time to get in touch with Shure USA because
of our time difference.

How bizzare! But why not just hook it up one way and test it against
another mic that you know is correct (ask the distributor to lend you
another KSM8 if you want to be Shure). If it's wrong, swap the wires.

They have it themselves, and don't have another KSM8 in stock with which
to compare - bizarre indeed !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 4/8/2019 5:33 PM, geoff wrote:
They have it themselves, and don't have another KSM8 in stock with which
to compare - bizarre indeed !

It doesn't have to be another KSM8. Do they have an SM57? As long as
it's new and wasn't built on Monday morning (risk of getting it
assembled wrong) and you know the cable isn't miswired, you can compare
it to any other "correct" mic.

And even if you get it wrong, who's going to know?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 9/04/2019 10:38 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/8/2019 5:33 PM, geoff wrote:
They have it themselves, and don't have another KSM8 in stock with
which to compare - bizarre indeed !

It doesn't have to be another KSM8. Do they have an SM57? As long as
it's new and wasn't built on Monday morning (risk of getting it
assembled wrong) and you know the cable isn't miswired, you can compare
it to any other "correct" mic.

And even if you get it wrong, who's going to know?Â*

Yeah. I suggested that they set up a known-good mic on one channel, the
KSM8 on the other, pan centre, with levels matched each separately. Then
see if the sound is weird when talking into both held closely
together, or better with the capsule wiring reversed. Then choose the
'best' wiring option.

geoff

shure ksm8 Nate Najar Pro Audio 5 February 5th 16 04:27 AM
XLR Polarity [email protected] Pro Audio 1 May 22nd 08 01:27 PM
Speaker Polarity... ~Gene~ Tech 5 December 2nd 06 05:54 PM
Polarity Paul Bissell Pro Audio 6 August 17th 06 06:12 AM
Which Is Better For Live Singing - Shure SM58 or Shure Beta 58 Mack Pro Audio 6 September 3rd 04 08:19 PM