Les

Default how long can a RCA be?

"pil" wrote in message
I know this is not the appropriate newsgroup to ask this. The principle

will
be the same in audio and video.

How long can I make my RCA from my sattelite receiver to my PC? I want to
run the RCA from the sattelite into my video in of my video card to record
TV programs on the PC.

The cable will have to be longer than 30M for me to accomplish this

There is no exact length for composite video, so it would likely work at the
distance you are looking at. But you are already starting with an inferior
signal then running it a long way, which there will be some loss, so the end
result may or may not be acceptable depending on what quality you are
looking for. I would suggest you use the S-video output if it is available.
I have run 100+ feet of S-video with no appreciable signal loss. You may
also research some of the wireless options that are available.

Les

Les

"Roxtar" wrote in message
m...
"pil" wrote in message

I know this is not the appropriate newsgroup to ask this. The principle

will
be the same in audio and video.

How long can I make my RCA from my sattelite receiver to my PC? I want

run the RCA from the sattelite into my video in of my video card to

record
TV programs on the PC.

The cable will have to be longer than 30M for me to accomplish this

I'm running about 20-25 feet of RCA for video, and never noticed any
quality degradation.

But he is talking running over 4 times as long as you are running. Running
RCA composite video that long will have some signal degradation.

Les

Les

"Bruce Chang" wrote in

We had the bulb in our projector at church die and had to use a projector on
stage instead. From the sound room we ran a 100ft RCA to the stage and I
couldn't see any appreciable difference in the projection other than it
being somewhat dimmer (most likely caused by the lower quality
projector/bulb). I don't see why it'd be any different in your case.

-Bruce

Bruce,
You are comparing apples to oranges here. Two different projectors on 2
different Sundays. Our memory is actually bad when it comes to recalling
things like video/audio quality.
Likely the OP wouldn't know that he was missing any signal degradation
without a relatively direct comparison. I still think the way to go would be
to use S-video if available. You already start out with an better format.

Les

Les

"MZ" wrote in message
With a run that long, noise could be a bigger issue than signal loss

anyway.

Very true. I started discussing that very thing last night with another tech
friend of mine. Relating the video noise at a recent show he did running
about 75feet. Then again, we've done the same thing before with the same
cable with no problems. Mah, whatcha gonna do?

Les

--
Mark
remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

"Les" wrote in message

[...]

Bruce Chang

"Les" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed, eye-witness testimony is not very reliable. I would also suggest he
go with S-video but the OP didn't ask for a different alternative, he asked
if it could be done. It can be done and has been done. This isn't like USB
where it dies at 10m and needs a repeater to go longer distances. Not at
these lengths at least.

-Bruce