el-kirbo

Default Another thought with my friend

You all know how lots of amps bridged will split the ohms right?, eg:
200x2@4 ohms, bridged to 400x1@2 ohms, and then there's ones that are the
opposite, 200x2@2 ohms, bridged to 400x1@4 ohms. Is there any way to change
all this around inside the amplifier itself? is it just a simple circuit
connection? We're thinking of trying it on a ****ty Road Gear amp, but I'd
like to know if theres any slim chance of it working before we blow the 15
bucks.

Sanitarium

Correct me if I am wrong (my memory is going), but I think some older
amps had some current limiting features in the circuit. So you could
drive lower impedence loads but it would not force excessively high
current surges through the mosfets. (I think???)

So their specs would look something like this...
100x2 @ 4 ohms
140x2 @ 2 ohms
280x1 @ 4 ohms bridged
280x1 @ 2 ohms bridged

So the amp is 1 ohm stable, but there are no power gains at that
impedence due to the current limiting.
I think older soundstream amps had this feature...????

Garrett

Daniel Snooks wrote:

el-kirbo wrote
You all know how lots of amps bridged will split the ohms right?

Wrong.

, eg:
200x2@4 ohms, bridged to 400x1@2 ohms

Find me an amplifier with these ratings. This amp would be closer to
1600x1@2 ohms (if it were real)

, and then there's ones that are the
opposite, 200x2@2 ohms, bridged to 400x1@4 ohms.

These would be the ones that exist.

Is there any way to change
all this around inside the amplifier itself?

Take note of the above statements, ohms do not get split, and only 1 of your
examples is possible.

is it just a simple circuit
connection?

Everything is electronic now, the circuitry is all built into a single PCB
(pretty much, at least with the cheap crap like Road Gear)

We're thinking of trying it on a ****ty Road Gear amp, but I'd
like to know if theres any slim chance of it working before we blow the 15
bucks.

There is no chance of you accomplishing what you are intending because you
misunderstand the theory behind bridging an amp. Save the $15.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Mark Zarella

I'm not going to say you are wrong, I didn't realize these types of
circuits
might have existed. I wonder if any companies are producing this sort of
product now?

It was common among some of Sony's older stuff. And you see something
similar today in JL's amps.

Sanitarium

I have seen amps with "impedence optimization" switches... I think this
is their function. They toggle on/off the current limiting circuit so
the user has the choice of running current limited 1 ohm or unlimited 1
ohm loads with external cooling fans.

I bet any amp with this type of switch has this feature.

Garrett