Posted to rec.audio.opinion
sillyputty sillyputty is offline

Default can a Dual TT compare to Music Hall 2.1 or Rega P1?

The reason why I'm asking is I'm thinking about putting together a
second system for another room and wondering if a Dual belt-drive (for
example this one on ebay:http://tinyurl.com/63uq6l) is comparable to a
Music Hall MMF2.1 or Rega P1 and/or could be a lower-priced
alternative? Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Redacted from a popular review site:

"Customer Reviews

Music Hall MMF-2.1 Audiophile Turntable

5 Reviews
5 star: (0)
4 star: 40% (2)
3 star: 40% (2)
2 star: 20% (1)
1 star: (0)

By junk collector "Sam" (Antartica, GA) - See all my reviews
I bought this deck a few years ago and at first I was really impressed
with the sound quality, the cartridge, and the overall "bang for the
buck". However, after a year,the sound quality started to diminish. I
checked everything I could think of, until I lifted up the platter and
found that the motor mount had snapped causing a vibration on the plinth.

It appears that music hall uses a really cheap motor mount made out of an
elastic-like substance that degrades from the excess thermal energy
produced by the motor. There is no "clean" way of fixing this either.
Rubber bands do an insufficient job at balancing the motor completely
level as well.

In summary, if you want an entry level turntable that is great for about a
year and you rarely play records, then purchase this deck. If you only play
lps look for something that is a bit sturdier in build.

Also, if you ever want to change the cartridge or disconnect it for
whatever reason, be extremely careful that the thin wires do not break
off. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can always fix it, but
still it is a pain.

On a side note, I fitted the music hall arm onto my old AR turntable and
it plays beautifully.(I just love that hanging weight for the anti-skate)
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? YesNo

By jaco p - See all my reviews
This is a nice turntable. Much better than the very cheap ($100ish) tables
offered by the BigBox stores. A manual table requiring minimal set-up, the
materials are of good quality and the time to assemble and adjust the
table upon reciept was about 20 minutes.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? YesNo

Comment Comment

By M. Rosen (Madison, WI) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I bought this turntable to convert a bunch of my old vinyl into digital
files and CDs. I'd say it was only moderately successful, and not without
a lot of trial and error. First of all, my local retailer had to open
every box to make sure the turntable worked, he said there is a high
failure rate. These tables are made in Eastern Europe. Mine worked, but I
could not get the tracking right. I followed the instructions carefully,
but it was still very light, and skipped easily. I took it back, and we
used a tracking gauge, which showed we had to use a much higher force than
indicated on the tracking dial on the tonearm. Even then, I would say the
sound is good but not great, not as good as the Bang & Olufsen it replaced
(I needed a manual table for recording). It's too bad there are no
mid-price quality turntables anymore, just the $79 junkboxes and $500 and
up audiophile equipment."

Both of these new tables are cheaply built ****boxes, to be blunt. If
they can't replicate the old AR for a few hundred bucks, they are not very
good at it!

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jun 25, 5:04 am, "BretLudwig" wrote:
"Customer Reviews

Music Hall MMF-2.1 Audiophile Turntable

[snip]

Those reviews are from Amazon. There are only 5 and probably reflect
an accurate spectrum of the Music Hall MMF-2.1. See my review of the
MMF-2.1 LE I purchased ($350 from MusicDirect) at
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Hall-MMF...m_cr_pr_sims_t

It's an entry-level table and probably not suited for the experienced
audiophile. However, it blows away any of the Dual tables I had in the
past (granted I didn't have any belt-drive Duals). I run it through a
NAD 716 and am impressed with how my LP collection sounds. Obviously,
with several grand I could get a system that blows away my current
equipment, but that's not in my budget ATM.

I'm still waiting for comparisons to Dual belt-drives. On another
forum one comment said a belt-drive Dual could surpass the Music Hall
and another said the opposite.
--
The potential of the average person is like a huge ocean unsailed, a
new continent unexplored, a world of possibilites waiting to be
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"sillyputty" wrote in message
The reason why I'm asking is I'm thinking about putting together a
second system for another room and wondering if a Dual belt-drive (for
example this one on ebay:http://tinyurl.com/63uq6l) is comparable to a
Music Hall MMF2.1 or Rega P1 and/or could be a lower-priced
alternative? Thanks.

**The 505-3 is an absolute honey of a turntable, for bugger-all money. I had
one in a couple of years ago and serviced it. I needed to transcribe a NLA
LP for a friend to CD-R. Since the 505 was mounted with a V15-V, I decided
to do the job with the Dual. The result was astonishingly good. As all my
LPs are in near perfect condition, my friend, when he heard the CD-R
exclaimed that he wanted to know where I was able to purchase the original
CD from.

Warning: Do not even THINK about mounting a MC cart on the Dual. It will,
however, provide astonishingly good results with a decent MM cart. It will
also be very reliable.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au