Upryz

Default Home stereo speakers for monitoring?

Hi everyone,
I have a pair of M-Audio BX8's that i'm unhappy with. The price
seemed right at the time but now spending a year with them - they're
not cutting it for me. They seem much too hyped in the bass and
highs. Too much thump not enough detail and my mixes don't translate
well (compared to other monitors I mix on.)
So... I've read various folks reccomending decent home stereo
speakers as an alternative to cheap "monitors". I have an opportunity
to get (for very little) a pair of Paradigm 3se speakers (2 way) and
an older Sony stereo receiver. Does anyone think I will get an
improvement in accuracy from this meager setup? -or should I stick to
what i've got for the time being?

Thanks for your input.

Dan Fox
William Sommerwerck

We learn by making mistakes -- often a lot more than by "getting it right" the
first time. Now that you know what doesn't produce the kind of mix you want,
you're in a good position to find a setup that does.

Instead of abruptly jumping to some other setup, I'd start listening (if
possible!) to other speakers, to find a pair that meet your needs. I realize
this is difficult, because retailers aren't likely to let you sit down and set
up.

The Paradigm speakers are likely to give a much more accurate rendition of
what's on your recordings. But that doesn't mean they're right for what you want
to do. Unless the price is really low, I'd hold off buying anything until you're
reasonably certain you have what you want.

greggery peccary

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
[...]

there are also engineers who subscribe to the idea that listening to a mix
through different speakers, including crummy ones, is a better way to
determine how it will sound on lousy systems...ie if you can make it sound
good on these your onto something.
-gp

Scott Dorsey

Upryz wrote:
I have a pair of M-Audio BX8's that i'm unhappy with. The price
seemed right at the time but now spending a year with them - they're
not cutting it for me. They seem much too hyped in the bass and
highs. Too much thump not enough detail and my mixes don't translate
well (compared to other monitors I mix on.)
So... I've read various folks reccomending decent home stereo
speakers as an alternative to cheap "monitors". I have an opportunity
to get (for very little) a pair of Paradigm 3se speakers (2 way) and
an older Sony stereo receiver. Does anyone think I will get an
improvement in accuracy from this meager setup? -or should I stick to
what i've got for the time being?

Try them. I think you will find them a big step up from the M-Audios,
but the spitty top end might bother you.

However, if you are having a big bass boost with your existing speakers,
I would look at altering the placement before doing anything else. At
least try pulling them away from the rear wall.
--scott

Thanks for your input.

Dan Fox