Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default I Think I Know Why the High-End Audio Hobby is Dying

I just finished reading about an audio amp called the Leben CS-300XS
Integrated amplifier.

http://www.lebenhifi.com/products/cs300.html

It's Japanese, and as I was looking at it, something about it struck me as
being VERY familiar It looks a lot like the Eico stuff that was popular with
average income audiophiles in the early 1960's. It has a gold colored front
panel, gray case, tone controls, etc. It also has a familiar tube complement.
Each channel consists of a single 12AX7 (ECC83) dual-triode, and two 6BQ5
(EL84) miniature beam-power pentodes as push-pull output tubes. In it's XS
configuration, it puts out 15 Watts/channel RMS and without the XS suffix,
the amp is 12 Watts RMS per channel. So i went looking for the Eico
equivalent that a friend of mine owns (more about that later). I found it.
It's called the HF-81.

http://home.earthlink.net/~eico_hf81/

This amp also used a pair of EL84 output tubes But gave 14 Watts/channel.
Likewise, this little amp drove those EL84's with a 12AX7 (ECC83) as both a
voltage amp (1/2) and a phase inverter (the other half) - just like the
Leben. Both amps are of classic Williamson configuration and their schematic
layouts are practically identical.

However, there, the similarity comparison sort of falls apart. The Leben has
no phono section while the Eico does. The Eico also has two more stages of
voltage amplification per channel bringing the tube complement to 10 for the
Eico vs 6 for the Leben. On the Leben's back apron, we find a set of 5-way
binding posts for speakers and a switch to select either the 4 or 8 Ohm taps
on the output transformers compared with those lousy bakelite screw terminal
strips for the speaker wires on the Eico. The Leben also sports high-quality,
gold-plated RCA jacks for the inputs and tape outs while the Eico uses those
ubiquitous and awful tin-plated RCAs mounted on a bakelite backing with those
ceramic insulators in the middle. The biggest difference, however, was in
price.

While the Eico was priced at $70 in 1962 (and the kit somewhat cheaper), the
little Leben is a whopping THREE THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED 2009 US Dollars! Now.
I realize that things are a lot more expensive than they were in 1962 (a 2009
US Dollar being worth about EIGHT Cents in 1962 money) but even with prices
being 12X what they were, an amp like this should cost no more than about
$800. But the Leben is not 12X the new price of this Eico, its FIFTY times
the 1962 price of the Eico! Generally speaking, it's the fact that modern
High-End equipment is simply out of sight that causes people to look upon
this hobby with a jaundiced eye. I was hooked on Hi-Fi as a kid, as I'm sure
most of the readers of this forum were. decent equipment was available for
the kind of money the average teen could afford from a summer or after-school
job. Today's high-end stuff, even modest stuff like this little Leben amp, is
out of reach for all but the richest of teens. So they bypass high-end gear
altogether and buy a cheap Japanese brand receiver and a cheap CD deck. I'm
not saying that this cheap mass-market stuff isn't perfectly adequate, but
what I am saying is that it causes today's kids to bypass the high-end
altogether. Even when they grow up and get decent jobs, having never been
admitted "to the fold", they will, likely, never be high-end customers. And
as we Boomers who got hooked on the hobby early on pass into our limited
income dotage (and beyond), there is no one to take our place. Prices like
this are what is keeping youth away from the hobby in droves. It's just gonna
die, gentlemen, no matter what you might think of the high-end personally,
we're going to lose an industry.

I promised that I would tell you about my friend Roy's HF-81. OK.

Roy bought his HF-81 in 2001 off-of E-Bay. He paid about $120 for it IIRC.
The first order of business was the power supply. Those multi-section "can"
style electrolytic filter caps aren't available any more, so he replaced that
with individual electrolytics beneath the chassis (and bypassed them with
polypropylenes, of course). Next he replaces all the caps in the audio path
with more polypropylenes and he replaced the ceramic caps with polystyrenes.
All of the carbon composition resistors (except those in the power supply) he
replaced with metal film resistors. and he cleaned all the potentiometers and
switches. All tubes were replaced and the outputs re-biased with the addition
of a pot in place of the fixed bias resistors. Other than that He ended-up
spending less than $300 overall for parts and a few hours labor. Driving a
pair of fairly efficient mini-monitors (I forget which ones) the amp sounds
great. Even the phono preamp is quiet with it's low-noise resistors. I'll bet
it sounds every bit as good as that $3500 Leben!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
dave a dave a is offline

Sonnova wrote:

[ bunch of stuff snipped ]

[...]

I would guess you don't spend much time around kids today. Today's kids
grew up with cell phones and iPods. They listen to music that isn't
designed to take advantage of "high-end" audio gear. CDs? Forget it,
they download whatever they want. High fidelity audio to them means a
massive subwoofer for their car or PC. The world has changed and they
consider us old f#@ts to be the ones left behind.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message

I just finished reading about an audio amp called the
Leben CS-300XS Integrated amplifier.

http://www.lebenhifi.com/products/cs300.html

It's Japanese, and as I was looking at it, something
about it struck me as being VERY familiar It looks a lot
like the Eico stuff that was popular with average income
audiophiles in the early 1960's. It has a gold colored
front panel, gray case, tone controls, etc. It also has a
familiar tube complement. Each channel consists of a
single 12AX7 (ECC83) dual-triode, and two 6BQ5 (EL84)
miniature beam-power pentodes as push-pull output tubes.
In it's XS configuration, it puts out 15 Watts/channel
RMS and without the XS suffix, the amp is 12 Watts RMS
per channel.

Well my friend, the real problem is that you think that a piece of
retro-technology like this somehow relates to the hifi hobby in 2009.

I'm not sure how that level of technology ever related to serious
audiophiles.

The truth is that I wouldn't have bought the lebenhifi amp even back in the
day when tubes were all we had. I had plenty of opportunities, as I worked
in a Lafayette radio store that sold their equivalent product, the LA224,
for about $50 assembled. The LA224 might have even been twice the amplifier
as the lebenhifi, with more like 20 wpc and a real phono preamp:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/lafayette_la_224b.html

We also sold Eico kits. I built and for several years listened through an
Eico ST-70, which was really a pretty serious piece of work with push-pull
7591s and serious output transformers. But, that was about as low as I ever
went, except for the amps I designed and built from parts scrapped out of
old car radios and home hifis, along with Lafayette's best output
transformers.

Another poster correctly pointed out that for the current generation of
music lovers, even CDs are becoming obsolete.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

Come now Sonnova, as we've both recently agreed, there are some highly
credible pieces of kit available today that provide a very respectible
high-end result for pretty small outlay of cash. The fact that such
items don't tend to be mentioned in the hi-fi press or appear in your
typical hi-fi store is another story, but I have to say I wish, when I
set out on the hi-fi discovery journey 30 years or so ago, that such
quality sound could be achieved at commodity prices.

Sure there are the amps and CD players etc with stratospheric prices
with promises of sound like you've never experienced before, but there
always have been and probably always will.

IMHO what's needed is to provide more guidance to the novice who is
setting out on this hobby to explain to them that it's not all about
huge sums of money, crazy wires with mystical properties and the rest
of the nonsensical mumbo jumbo that is normally associated with hi-fi.
It's more about sensible selection of gear and developing an
understanding of what really matters from both a technical and audio
appreciation level. Unfortunately I don't see the hi-fi magazines
doing this, yet these are naturally the places that a novice will turn
to in the first instance.

I have to say that over the last few years this group has been a great
benefit to me. Through it I've learnt a lot about what really matters
and what can and can't make a difference. I've learned about and
obtained pointers to equipment that I'd have never discovered
otherwise. I've gone as far as to suggest in another hi-fi forum that
anyone who considers himself or herself an audiophile should make it
their business to watch and learn from this group.

So I don't think it's dying, but there sure is a lot of disinformation
out there and that must confuse many people, some of whom will simply
give up at the apparent cost and quackery involved in hi-fi as a
hobby...which has to be a shame.

On 25 Aug 2009 23:59:24 GMT, Sonnova
wrote:

[...]

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Aug 26, 9:56*am, Rob Tweed wrote:

So I don't think it's dying, but there sure is a lot of disinformation
out there and that must confuse many people, some of whom will simply
give up at the apparent cost and quackery involved in hi-fi as a
hobby...which has to be a shame.

Amen to this!

I still maintain that with patience, more patience and a bit of care,
one can assemble a creditable-sounding stereo of a mix of vintage and
new items for $1,000 or less. Patience, care and pure blind luck will
do that for $500 or less.

Certainly as good-or-better than any sort of MP3 based system typical
of the present generation.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman Schwartz Norman Schwartz is offline

On Aug 26, 10:28*am, " wrote:
On Aug 26, 9:56*am, Rob Tweed wrote:

So I don't think it's dying, but there sure is a lot of disinformation
out there and that must confuse many people, some of whom will simply
give up at the apparent cost and quackery involved in hi-fi as a
hobby...which has to be a shame.

Amen to this!

I still maintain that with patience, more patience and a bit of care,
one can assemble a creditable-sounding stereo of a mix of vintage and
new items for $1,000 or less. Patience, care and pure blind luck will
do that for $500 or less.

Is that path supposed to preserve the industry/hobby or kill it off
faster?

Peter Wieck

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 02:48:28 -0700, dave a wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:

[ bunch of stuff snipped ]

[...]

You're not telling me anything that I don't already know. When I was a kid,
99% of us listened to our music from a "top forty" AM station with a small
transistor portable radio held up to our ear, so things haven't changed THAT
much in that respect. But there was always a tiny majority of us who wanted
more. We bought the affordable components that were the mainstream audio
hobby at the time and we grew-up to be audiophiles and transitioned into the
high-end movement as the audio hobby migrated to that end of the spectrum in
the early 1970's. My point is that for similarly motivated youngsters today,
that path doesn't exist. There really aren't any affordable components for
them to get interested in audio over. What passes for those components today
are cheap receivers purchased from Costco or Sam's Club and cheap, low end
Infinity or Japanese speakers to go with them and those, while
performance-wise are probably fine, won't lead to high-end audio later, when
the kids are adults. Receivers are today's "brown goods" they are not the
path to the audio hobby.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 06:56:35 -0700, Rob Tweed wrote
(in article ):

Come now Sonnova, as we've both recently agreed, there are some highly
credible pieces of kit available today that provide a very respectible
high-end result for pretty small outlay of cash. The fact that such
items don't tend to be mentioned in the hi-fi press or appear in your
typical hi-fi store is another story, but I have to say I wish, when I
set out on the hi-fi discovery journey 30 years or so ago, that such
quality sound could be achieved at commodity prices.

The point is that these youngsters see only the ads for the really obscenely
priced gear and figure that there is no place in that hobby for them (even
if they have the interest). Sure there are paths to audio that are
affordable, such as used gear and amps like the oft-mentioned Behringer A500,
but these are pretty obscure paths. Someone would have to mentor youngsters
in that direction, and I don't see that happening either. The average kid
with penchant for audio picks up a copy of Stereophile or The Absolute Sound
and figures that this hobby, like owing a Ferrari, is, while desirable,
something that he'll never be able to achieve. So, he moves on.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:38:41 -0700, Norman Schwartz wrote
(in article ):

On Aug 26, 10:28*am, " wrote:
On Aug 26, 9:56*am, Rob Tweed wrote:

So I don't think it's dying, but there sure is a lot of disinformation
out there and that must confuse many people, some of whom will simply
give up at the apparent cost and quackery involved in hi-fi as a
hobby...which has to be a shame.

Amen to this!

I still maintain that with patience, more patience and a bit of care,
one can assemble a creditable-sounding stereo of a mix of vintage and
new items for $1,000 or less. Patience, care and pure blind luck will
do that for $500 or less.

Is that path supposed to preserve the industry/hobby or kill it off
faster?

Peter Wieck

One has to start somewhere. I was lucky. By the time I was 12, I was already
a rabid audiophile. For my 13th Christmas, my dad gave me a Knight-kit
18-watt mono amplifier (he built it for me) and a 12-inch bass reflex speaker
(he built the cabinet himself - being an accomplished amateur cabinet maker
as well as an electrical engineer) with a Knight KN-812 12 inch speaker with
"whizzer" cone (essentially an Electro-Voice "Wolverine" built for Allied
Radio). I already had a BSR record changer (it at least had a 4-pole motor
instead of the 2-pole that most cheap changers sported) and a Pickering
stereo cartridge. Then about a year later (or maybe for my birthday) I got
another, matching, Knight-kit 18-watter, but this time I had to build it
myself. My dad supplied another identical bass reflex cabinet and another
Knight KN-812 12" speaker. So now I had stereo. A year later, I got to
replace my old Heathkit FM2 FM tuner with an Eico HFT-90 and then I got a
Knight stereo demodulator kit to go with it (the Eico had a multiplex output
on it right after the ratio-detector and in front of the de-emphasis
network.). So I was equipped for stereo. This equipment was VERY CHEAP at the
time. The amps were $35 each IIRC, the tuner was $40, the speakers were about
$20 each, the Multiplex decoder kit was, I believe, $20. I got the BSR
changer on sale from Layfayette Radio, on sale, with Pickering magnetic
cartridge for about $12. Later, I added a pair of Layfayette Japanese horn
tweeters which, I believe, were less than $10 for the pair, to the cabinets
my dad built. This system lasted me through college and when I left home to
go to my first job, that system went with me. When I was about 16, I replaced
the BSR with a Bang & Olufson Beogram belt-drive turntable with arm and
integrated "Stereodyne" cartridge.

The point is that if someone starts out buying good quality used components
when young, he will more likely be willing to upgrade to new stuff as he gets
older and more affluent. He won't be buying any audio equipment if he never
gets hooked on the hobby.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] khughes@nospam.net is offline

Sonnova wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 02:48:28 -0700, dave a wrote
(in article ):

snip

I would guess you don't spend much time around kids today.

Sure try not to! :-)

snip

You're not telling me anything that I don't already know. When I was a kid,
99% of us listened to our music from a "top forty" AM station with a small
transistor portable radio held up to our ear, so things haven't changed THAT
much in that respect.

Actually, I think there is a real qualitative difference. Despite your
aversion to MP3's, I think you'd be extremely hard pressed to find
anyone who doesn't find a good MP-3 player with decent earbuds to be
orders of magnitude better than the AM transistor radio noise we grew up
with as youngsters. Or the $800 mediterranean console stereo (aka
furniture) with cabinet rattles louder than the music, an AM radio, and
a BSR etch-a-sketch.

But there was always a tiny majority of us who wanted
more.

I don't know if that was a minority at all, at the time, but IME it
definitely wasn't "tiny".

We bought the affordable components that were the mainstream audio
hobby at the time and we grew-up to be audiophiles and transitioned into the
high-end movement as the audio hobby migrated to that end of the spectrum in
the early 1970's. My point is that for similarly motivated youngsters today,

That's kind of the point. There are few "similarly motivated"
youngsters today. There are many reasons, as we've discussed here
previously, but one quite rational reason is likely that a good iPod
with moderate bitrate MP-3's is just not anywhere near as objectionable
as what we grew up with. If what you start with is pretty darn good,
AND it's cheap and portable, there's just not much impetus for most to
want to abandon the low cost and convenience to move into "true" hifi.

Keith Hughes
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Aug 26, 7:38*pm, Norman Schwartz wrote:

Is that path supposed to preserve the industry/hobby or kill it off
faster?

Um.... with respect (really), the 'industy' and the 'hobby' are very
nearly mutually exclusive in my mind. And the death of the former as
presently practiced cannot happen too fast for me. One may always
purchase things without the slightest understanding of them. And then
be chauffeur-driven through their use such that even their care-and-
feeding may be ignored. This is the 'hobby' of a dilletante with no
discernable pleasure or utility to it other than the perceived status
such ownership may convey.

Or, one may have a relationship with one's hobby with the goal of not
only enjoying the use of the equipment but perhaps even having an
understanding of what it does and how it does it. Those in Japan who
choose to build a pretty primitive tube-based integrated amp of
limited utility (but not hardly a limited price) are sincerely hoping
that their target market is of the dilletante variety, not the
relationship sorts. And the sooner they fail in that market the better
it is for everyone. Even so, a very few units sold will take them into
profit.

At this point, I sincerely believe that there is enough high-quality,
well-made, easily restored vintage equipment out on the world stage to
satisfy the 'hobby' market very nearly into perpetuity. With the
exception of speakers and some moving parts where evolution is still
possible and still happening (although the crap-to-decent ratio is
still increasing) electronics are pretty much at an end-stage of
evolution such that the cost-benefit between minimally acceptable and
SOTA is not even a factor of 3. The 'industry' and the infrastructure
that depends on it that suggest otherwise needs to fail. Really.

As to mentoring - I see that as ripples in a pond. Each of the kids
has a very good stereo made from my extras and leavings. As do several
of my friends - who are now passing them to their kids. Another system
is about to leave the house for the apartment of a new graduate-
student friend of a friend - no charge (God knows there is any amount
of stuff around for this purpose). And young people (anyone less than
30) that I know still seem to recognize the old brands.

It is a pleasant hobby that I may pursue at my own pace and per my own
inclinations. I am not in competition with anyone, and if mere
bragging rights are at stake, *MY* speakers are flatter at a lower and
higher frequency than *YOUR* speakers - nyah nayh!!!! (not really,
perhaps, but I might claim so).

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:26:15 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:
[...]

That's not the point. The point is that the AM transistor radio was my
generation's MP3 player. And just as most of my contemporaries never
graduated from listening to AM to becoming audio hobbyists, neither will the
MP3 generation. IOW, irrespective of what the general populace uses to get
its pop music fix, only a tiny minority of any generation are ever going to
become audiophiles.

[...]

The few "similarly motivated" youngsters today look the prices for todays
audio hobby grade gear and say: "They've got to be kidding" . The stuff is
off the charts and turns many who perhaps WOULD be motivated to be audio
hobbyists completely OFF!

Keith Hughes

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:33:30 -0700, Dick Pierce wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:
The point is that these youngsters see only the ads for
the really obscenely priced gear and figure that there is
no place in that hobby for them

The young people I see looking at those ads usually laugh
at them, an activity that I encourage.

That's the point. The stuff is so expensive that to young people who are
interested enough in music to perhaps consider the audio hobby laugh at the
prices of today's gear.

The average kid with penchant for audio picks up a copy
of Stereophile or The Absolute Sound and figures that this
hobby, like owing a Ferrari, is, while desirable,
something that he'll never be able to achieve.

One important difference being is that Ferrari will claim
an F430 does 0-60 in x seconds, can do a standard slalom
in y, and can pull zG on a skid pad. All of which constitute
objective claims that, if the car fails, constitute an
actionable failure on the part of the manufacturer and
dealer.

irrelevant.

How does one get their money back if, after letting some
overpriced piece of swill "break in" for 150% of the
right-of-return period, if fails to deliver the
"pacing" and "bass slam" promised by the snake-oil
merchants?

Again, irrelevant. The stuff costs too much by many times. As characterized
by the Leben amp I mentioned in my OP, what one gets for their money has
absolutely NO relationship to it's performance or build quality. A simple 15
watt/channel Williamson amp, even if it used the best available components
shouldn't cost more than $800- $900 TOPS. yet this one is $3500! other modern
equipment sold to the audio hobby is similarly over-priced and a bad deal. No
wonder few young people are coming into the hobby.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:37:37 -0700, Dick Pierce wrote
(in article ):

Rob Tweed wrote:
So I don't think it's dying, but there sure is a lot of disinformation
out there and that must confuse many people, some of whom will simply
give up at the apparent cost and quackery involved in hi-fi as a
hobby...which has to be a shame.

Whether the high-end industry is dead or not is rendered moot
by the fact that it is, on any number of measures, utterly
irrelevant.

For example, despite it's own very narrow view, the high-end
audio "industry" is not responsible for any breakthroughs of
any kind for at least 4 decades.

Economically, it's such an incredibly small market that there
are portable music player companies whose engineering budgets
exceed that of the entire high-end industry. If the entire
industry were to suddenly vanish, the worst that would happen
is some partially-unemployed designer-charlatains would end
up fully-unemployed charlatains, resulting in them fouling up
traffic while they wander off looking for another shill game
to play.

If you want to look for those responsible for the decay of
the high0-end industry, go find the Cardas's and the Pearson's
and the Lumley's and the MPingo purveyors line them up against
the wall.

Yes, unfortunately, there is a lot of charlatanism involved in High-End
Audio. But there are good products too. Products that are well designed, well
made, measure well, sound good and will last a long time. Let's not throw the
baby out with the bath water.

While I'm not a big fan of handguns, there ARE some people
you meet when you don't have a hand grenade handy.

Now, now. Some of these people HONESTLY believe that wires with the filaments
inside wound like nautilus shells and cable elevators do make a difference
and its their money.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Aug 26, 8:37*pm, " wrote:
On Aug 26, 7:38*pm, Norman Schwartz wrote:

Is that path supposed to preserve the industry/hobby or kill it off
faster?

Um.... with respect (really), the 'industy' and the 'hobby' are very
nearly mutually exclusive in my mind. And the death of the former as
presently practiced cannot happen too fast for me. One may always
purchase things without the slightest understanding of them. And then
be chauffeur-driven through their use such that even their care-and-
feeding may be ignored.

Just the wrong analogy, I suppose. While never being "chauffeur-
driven, I've been driving cars for over 50 years without knowing a
thing about what's going on beneath the hood. (I used to recognize my
tires were low on pressure and would do something about myself. Today
something lights up on my instrument panel informing me in essence to
immediately drive into a dealer at no more than 50mph. The tires that
came on my car presumably can't be repaired but have to be replaced,
the cost of which is covered by insurance I purchased when I leased
the vehicle.)

This is the 'hobby' of a dilletante with no
discernable pleasure or utility to it other than the perceived status
such ownership may convey.

That's really false. Outside of one buddy I made by running into at a
concert who also just happened to be into audio, and like myself
happened to own a SP-3A and Maggies, absolutely no one knows what
equipment I own and use and it's there totally for my solitary
listening pleasure.

At this point, I sincerely believe that there is enough high-quality,
well-made, easily restored vintage equipment out on the world stage to
satisfy the 'hobby' market very nearly into perpetuity.

That's true, but I'm still comfoprted by the fact my Bryston amps have
20 year warranties, however I need Bryston to be in business for that
warranty to be of any avail.

With the
exception of speakers and some moving parts where evolution is still
possible and still happening (although the crap-to-decent ratio is
still increasing) electronics are pretty much at an end-stage of
evolution such that the cost-benefit between minimally acceptable and
SOTA is not even a factor of 3. The 'industry' and the infrastructure
that depends on it that suggest otherwise needs to fail. Really.

When and if the ribbons in my Maggies fail I *really* need Magnepan to
be around in order to buy new ones, so I wouldn't care to see them
fail. (Those same type ribbons must around for about 20 years, without
any improvement, but how does that enable me to obtain replacements if
needed?)

As to mentoring - I see that as ripples in a pond. Each of the kids
has a very good stereo made from my extras and leavings. As do several
of my friends - who are now passing them to their kids. Another system
is about to leave the house for the apartment of a new graduate-
student friend of a friend - no charge (God knows there is any amount
of stuff around for this purpose). And young people (anyone less than
30) that I know still seem to recognize the old brands.

That's perfectly fine in my eyes.

It is a pleasant hobby that I may pursue at my own pace and per my own
inclinations. I am not in competition with anyone, and if mere
bragging rights are at stake, *MY* speakers are flatter at a lower and
higher frequency than *YOUR* speakers - nyah nayh!!!! (not really,
perhaps, but I might claim so).

Bragging rites come tagging along with virtually every desirable thing
man has ever owned; "my cave is both larger and deeper than is yours".

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Paul Crawford[_3_] Paul Crawford[_3_] is offline

Again, irrelevant. The stuff costs too much by many times. As
characterized by the Leben amp I mentioned in my OP, what one gets for
their money has absolutely NO relationship to it's performance or build
quality. A simple 15 watt/channel Williamson amp, even if it used the
best available components shouldn't cost more than $800- $900 TOPS. yet
this one is $3500! other modern equipment sold to the audio hobby is
similarly over-priced and a bad deal. No wonder few young people are
coming into the hobby.

You have overlooked the factors that affect the "value of money" here,
part of the reason that the cost basis is x12 over that period includes
the much lower cost of a lot of 'typical' goods due to mass production in
cheap labour countries.

Items such as high end audio are much less subject to such cost
reductions, in particular where they use valve technology that is more or
less an irrelevance in industrial terms. I like valves though...

We expect electronics goods to be priced like PCs, TVs, etc, and not in
the same manner as labour by our peers. How much do you pay a plumber
these days?

Regards,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:37:14 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Quite so. I suspect that this is the dynamic that is driving the entire
High-End industry. Faced with diminishing ranks of audio enthusiasts,
high-end companies have decided that by catering to the nouveau-riche
dillitante, they can offset dropping sales volume with ever higher sales
prices.

At this point, I sincerely believe that there is enough high-quality,
well-made, easily restored vintage equipment out on the world stage to
satisfy the 'hobby' market very nearly into perpetuity.

You may well be correct. I certainly intend to keep my AR SP-11 MkII and my
VTL 140 Monoblocks pretty much forever. I even have enough NOS WWII vintage
JAN 807s to last me and my VTLs several lifetimes. I have also enough
ECC88/6922/6DJ8s to totally re-tube my SP-11 three times (that's 18 tubes)

With the
exception of speakers and some moving parts where evolution is still
possible and still happening (although the crap-to-decent ratio is
still increasing) electronics are pretty much at an end-stage of
evolution such that the cost-benefit between minimally acceptable and
SOTA is not even a factor of 3. The 'industry' and the infrastructure
that depends on it that suggest otherwise needs to fail. Really.

You have a point. I resist agreeing with you because I hate to see more small
American companies go under, but, OTOH, they aren't selling to the audiophile
market any more, they're selling to the rich who are only interested in
owning the most expensive of WHATEVER.

As to mentoring - I see that as ripples in a pond. Each of the kids
has a very good stereo made from my extras and leavings. As do several
of my friends - who are now passing them to their kids. Another system
is about to leave the house for the apartment of a new graduate-
student friend of a friend - no charge (God knows there is any amount
of stuff around for this purpose). And young people (anyone less than
30) that I know still seem to recognize the old brands.

Good for you. I tend to do the same, although I really haven't changed
systems (except for speakers) in some time.

It is a pleasant hobby that I may pursue at my own pace and per my own
inclinations. I am not in competition with anyone, and if mere
bragging rights are at stake, *MY* speakers are flatter at a lower and
higher frequency than *YOUR* speakers - nyah nayh!!!! (not really,
perhaps, but I might claim so).

Yeah, who cares, anyway. The important thing is that YOU get musical
enjoyment from what you've got. I just finished listening to a new JVC XRCD
remastering on CD of Prokofief's "Lt. Kiji" with Reiner and the Chicago
Symphony recorded in 1956 and marveling at how great it sounded though my
20-year old SP-11 preamp (bought by me used) and my equally old VTL 140's
(also bought second-hand) and emanating from my three-year old Martin-Logan
Vistas! I simply don't think orchestral recordings have improved much since
1956 (This XRCD sounds simply stunning, it really does. In fact it sounds
better than any of the RCA SACDs of similar material from Reiner and the
Chicago (The Prokofiev "Lt. Kiji" has never been released by RCA on SACD)
recorded at about the same time and by the same engineering team), and I
certainly don't think that electronics have gotten much better in the last 20
years.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Please note the interpolations - we seem to be discussing at cross-
purposes.

On Aug 27, 9:13*am, Norman Schwartz wrote:
On Aug 26, 8:37*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Yabbut - you make sure the oil gets changed, the timing belt (if
applicable) and other 'regular maintenance' things as needs be done.
It is not the chauffeur that does it for you with no thought on your
part.

This is the 'hobby' of a dilletante with no

discernable pleasure or utility to it other than the perceived status
such ownership may convey.

That's really false. Outside of one buddy I made by running into at a
concert who also just happened to be into audio, and like myself
happened to own a SP-3A and Maggies, absolutely no one knows what
equipment I own and use and it's there totally for my solitary
listening pleasure.

Operative word was "perceived" - meaning that there are those who
would drop their list of gear at any time and in nearly any venue -
and it is those for whom the "industry" exists as it is presently
practiced and supported. Further, you have likely made few, if any,
changes in your main system for a number of years. The dilletante will
make changes based on what is in the latest scam-sheet from the latest
industrial house-organ existing only to support its advertisers. And,
likely, you actually listen to it for pleasure. Dilettantes are very
nearly denied that option as they are at the whim of the reviewer-of-
the-moment concerning the flavor-of-the-month-until-the-next-issue.
Again, why I would like to see this aspect of the industry fail,
quickly, permanently and spectacularly as an object lesson for all.
The honest brokers will survive - just as honest individuals in any
trade or profession survive.

At this point, I sincerely believe that there is enough high-quality,
well-made, easily restored vintage equipment out on the world stage to
satisfy the 'hobby' market very nearly into perpetuity.

That's true, but I'm still comfoprted by the fact my Bryston amps have
20 year warranties, however I need Bryston to be in business for that
warranty to be of any avail.

I would posit that anything so well made as the maker would give a 20-
year warranty is sufficiently well made as any reasonably competent
tech could also repair it. Perhaps not 'for free' - but there will not
be a danger of its turning into an anchor any time in the future
whether Bryston sticks around or not. Further to this, you are mixing
apples (legitimate makers with a legitimate product at a fair price)
with Oranges (makers turning out a primitive product using primitive
means and methods at far-from-primitive prices).

With the

exception of speakers and some moving parts where evolution is still
possible and still happening (although the crap-to-decent ratio is
still increasing) electronics are pretty much at an end-stage of
evolution such that the cost-benefit between minimally acceptable and
SOTA is not even a factor of 3. The 'industry' and the infrastructure
that depends on it that suggest otherwise needs to fail. Really.

When and if the ribbons in my Maggies fail I *really* need Magnepan to
be around in order to buy new ones, so I wouldn't care to see them
fail. (Those same type ribbons must around for about 20 years, without
any improvement, but how does that enable me to obtain replacements if
needed?)

See "Legitimate makers..." above. I also keep Maggies and would like
them to remain in business into the future - and they show every sign
of doing so. Got them used, of course.

[...]

Probably, and I would add dryer and warmer - take that any way you
want.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
H Davis H Davis is offline

"While the Eico was priced at $70 in 1962 (and the kit somewhat cheaper),
the
little Leben is a whopping THREE THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED 2009 US Dollars!
Now."

Eico product were not known for their quality, and even back in 1962, $70
was probably too much for that amp.
If anyone is charging as much as you quote above for a VACUUM TUBE based amp
today - that is why the audiophile industry is failing. Such sellers are
thieves, and any buyers are fools.

Vacuum tube technology is obsolescent, if not obsolete - especially for
high-end audio. http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/Tu...SolidState.htm

The audiophile hobby seems to have largely fallen into the hands of
unscrupulous manufacturers and retailers, and is patronized mostly by people
that have more money than common sense.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:07:45 -0700, Dick Pierce wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:37:37 -0700, Dick Pierce wrote
Whether the high-end industry is dead or not is rendered moot
by the fact that it is, on any number of measures, utterly
irrelevant.

If you want to look for those responsible for the decay of
the high0-end industry, go find the Cardas's and the Pearson's
and the Lumley's and the MPingo purveyors line them up against
the wall.

Yes, unfortunately, there is a lot of charlatanism involved
in High-End Audio. But there are good products too. Products
that are well designed, well made, measure well, sound good
and will last a long time. Let's not throw the
baby out with the bath water.

Unfortunately, the high end audio business has already done
it to itself. The crazed yahoos running around selling badly
designed equipment and pure fluffy nonsense has pushed the
realm farther to the point of total irrelevancy, carrying
the rest with it. In addition to the various "manufacturers",
we can lay the blame solidly at the feet of the high-end
press.

While I'm not a big fan of handguns, there ARE some people
you meet when you don't have a hand grenade handy.

Now, now. Some of these people HONESTLY believe that wires
with the filaments inside wound like nautilus shells and
cable elevators do make a difference and its their money.

Fine, so you're insisting that I differentiate between them.
Fine: it's the difference between putting them out of their
misery, or putting them out of ours.

Point is, I'm in favor of putting them out of MY misery. I do that by
ignoring their idiocy and putting others straight about it whenever possible.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Sonnova wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:26:15 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

snip

Actually, I think there is a real qualitative difference. Despite your
aversion to MP3's, I think you'd be extremely hard pressed to find
anyone who doesn't find a good MP-3 player with decent earbuds to be
orders of magnitude better than the AM transistor radio noise we grew up
with as youngsters. Or the $800 mediterranean console stereo (aka
furniture) with cabinet rattles louder than the music, an AM radio, and
a BSR etch-a-sketch.

That's not the point. The point is that the AM transistor radio was my
generation's MP3 player.

Well yes, and "your" generations' "MP3" player was quite pathetic, and
horribly so in comparison to even the most meager "HiFi" systems.

And just as most of my contemporaries never
graduated from listening to AM to becoming audio hobbyists, neither will the
MP3 generation.

True, but not relevant to the point I was making. The *relative*
percentage of those "graduating" will continue to shrink as the delta
between the quality they *have* and the best they *could* have grows
ever smaller.

E.g., give a 1000 kids a pocket AM radio, and another 1000 an iPod/MP3
player. Have each listen to the same music. The AM group will listen
to a beatup LP (if they're lucky) or a tape in sad shape, while the iPod
group listens to a moderate bitrate MP3 from a clean digital source. My
bet is that the AM group will have many more kids saying "man, I gotta
get some better tunes..." than will the iPod group. While conversely,
many of those "potential graduates" from the AM group would have been
satisfied with the iPod, never having the impetus to go searching for
better.

snip

The few "similarly motivated" youngsters today look the prices for todays
audio hobby grade gear and say: "They've got to be kidding" . The stuff is
off the charts and turns many who perhaps WOULD be motivated to be audio
hobbyists completely OFF!

No argument there (although possibly you were better off than I was,
because HiFi was still damn steep for my pockets back then as well). My
point was, given the much higher "entry level" for music listeners these
days, there will be increasingly fewer "similarly motivated" youngsters
to *get* turned off by the price.

Taken in conjunction with all the other reasons (previously discussed in
other threads), the additional 'demotivator' provided by easy access to
decent sound just adds a few more Newtons pushing stereo HiFi towards
the event horizon.

Personally, for music listening, I'll continue to be a stereo
dinosaur...but the tar pits are multiplying fast.

Keith Hughes
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:19:36 -0700, H Davis wrote
(in article ):

"While the Eico was priced at $70 in 1962 (and the kit somewhat cheaper),
the
little Leben is a whopping THREE THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED 2009 US Dollars!
Now."

Eico product were not known for their quality, and even back in 1962, $70
was probably too much for that amp.
If anyone is charging as much as you quote above for a VACUUM TUBE based amp
today - that is why the audiophile industry is failing. Such sellers are
thieves, and any buyers are fools.

Vacuum tube technology is obsolescent, if not obsolete - especially for
high-end audio. http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/Tu...SolidState.htm

The audiophile hobby seems to have largely fallen into the hands of
unscrupulous manufacturers and retailers, and is patronized mostly by people
that have more money than common sense.

I disagree that vacuum tubes are either obsolete or obsolescent. There are a
lot of companies still designing and making the stuff and it will be viable
well into the foreseeable future.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Aug 27, 7:17*pm, " wrote:
Please note the interpolations - we seem to be discussing at cross-
purposes.

Yabbut - you make sure the oil gets changed, the timing belt (if
applicable) and other 'regular maintenance' things as needs be done.
It is not the chauffeur that does it for you with no thought on your
part.

Also wrong. The dealer phones me when it's time for any service asking
wilI I be waiting or return to pick up the car when done. (If lucky
they might even take me back home and back again after it's done.) All
normal wear and tear will be at no charge for the remainder of my
lease, after which time I'll lease a new car. I both don't know nor
care to know what's going on beneath the hood, same with respect to
anything in my listening room. The latter adds up to more time being
available for listening to music.

I would posit that anything so well made as the maker would give a 20-
year warranty is sufficiently well made as any reasonably competent
tech could also repair it.

I wouldn't be happy about just anyone in any service facility sticking
any old part in one of my Bryston components. I prefer knowing that
Bryston performs such
service for all the too obvious reasons.

Perhaps not 'for free' - but there will not
be a danger of its turning into an anchor any time in the future
whether Bryston sticks around or not. Further to this, you are mixing
apples (legitimate makers with a legitimate product at a fair price)
with Oranges (makers turning out a primitive product using primitive
means and methods at far-from-primitive prices).

Your analogy is limited in the sense that it's to my advantage my
local fruit store sells both apples and oranges, as he needs to do in
order to remain in business. That fruit store assits me in maintaining
my equipment and even has travelled to my home to do repairs, thereby
saving me a lot of time and effort and costs. I'm more than willing to
pay for such service wanting to stay on his 'good side'. Moreover this
way I stand in his favor being welcomed into his store to audition
equipment and take home 'loaners' on weekends. All of which opposes
death of the high end hobby.

When and if the ribbons in my Maggies fail I *really* need Magnepan to
be around in order to buy new ones, so I wouldn't care to see them
fail. (Those same type ribbons must around for about 20 years, without
any improvement, but how does that enable me to obtain replacements if
needed?)

See "Legitimate makers..." above. *I also keep Maggies and would like
them to remain in business into the future - and they show every sign
of doing so. Got them used, of course.

That was my original point; if everyone followed your path Magnepan
wouldn't any longer be able to make profit, and eventually fail.
That's not of advanatge to their loyal customers to which the industry/
hobby depend.

Bragging rites come tagging along with virtually every desirable thing
man has ever owned; "my cave is both larger and deeper than is yours".

Probably, and I would add dryer and warmer - take that any way you
want.

Amen to that (any ways).

Peter Wieck

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
H Davis H Davis is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

Did you read my article at
http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/Tu...SolidState.htm ?

No power amp with an output transformer can possibly have the low frequency
power bandwidth that direct-coupled solid state amps do.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH [email protected] mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH ME@scs.uiuc.edu is offline

Sonnova wrote:

I disagree that vacuum tubes are either obsolete or obsolescent. There are a
lot of companies still designing and making the stuff and it will be viable
well into the foreseeable future.

They are certainly obsolete as far as home audio audio goes. Absolutely
and complete obsolete. The only connection to audio would be as transmitter
tubes for radio or television.

Of course, some people like antiques or ersatz antiques. For these
things tubes are the cats meow. I actually think it fun to think
that such primitive circuitry can sound perfectly OK.

Doug McDonald
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Aug 27, 11:51*pm, Sonnova wrote:

I disagree that vacuum tubes are either obsolete or obsolescent. There are a
lot of companies still designing and making the stuff and it will be viable
well into the foreseeable future.

Oh, but they are. There has not been a substantial new design in the
industry since the 60s - and even that is a stretch, nor do they do
anything any better than much more efficient solid-state devices - in
very nearly every case imaginable, a solid-state device could do it
better, with less distortion in a smaller package with less heat, at a
lower cost using less energy and so on and so forth. Further to that
there are several things that tubes cannot do at all in any way that
is viable to the audio-hobby - such as do a D/A converter NOTE:
Viable. Not impossible. Consider that the only way any sort of tube
equipment might be considered "high end" is and will be forever based
on the cost index vs. the measurements index.

And at the heart of this discussion - being a Japanese firm making a
nobley priced but ignoble amplifier primitive even by those same 1960s
standards -and its perceived effect on the hobby.

And also entirely beside the point of the hobby and the entire solid
vs. hollow issue anyway.

The hobby ain't nohow dying. That is not how hobbies work. Various
industries and infrastructures that are supported by the hobby are
becoming moribund due to their general stupidity and goal of
exploitation without providing sufficient substance to justify it.
When I was "coming up" in the hobby, there were basic electronic kits
out there that covered everything from little neon random light
blinkers through 1-tube radios and so forth. And kits from substantial
audio makers including Scott and Fisher, not to mention Heath, Eico,
Dyna and any of several others sold very nearly from every street
corner in every village and town. Today, those low-cost entry options
have been driven from the market. Those in the hobby today are
required to be either much wealthier if they are to purchase "new"
equipment, or much more versatile if they are to work with existing
and vintage equipment. Or, they go to Best Buy and get what comes off
the shelf for their 'entertainment center'.

So - in my *opinion* the Audio Industry and the Audio Hobby are
engaged in a cold war such that the survival of both are threatened.
There is no significant effort at capturing the young, entry-level
customer who could become a hobbyist, and as with the proverbial
Vanishing Bird, the bulk of the self-designated high-end industry is
engaged in flying in ever-decreasing circles until it disappears up
its own fundament. And as far as I am concerned that cannot happen
fast enough. Again, those companies making a good product at a
reasonable price will survive - even a tiny fraction of a world
population of 6+ billion is a substantial number of potential
customers. That is a given. But if the Industry wishes to grow and
prosper, they will need to change their direction and attitude - they
will need to capture the young audience and make something that both
appeals to them and becomes a conduit to something better....

Little story: When our son-in-law was still a relatively recent
acquisition to the family, he purchased on of the early MP3-type
players for our daughter. She, being used to my systems and not really
liking headphones for all-the-time use wanted a way to play it through
speakers. Sitting in a closet was an AR 622 self-powered sub-sat
system that I had snagged in a trade one day but never used. That was
a number of years and two grandkids ago - today his system is a
mixture of AR, Revox and vintage Harmon-Kardon, includes both open
reel tape and vinyl sources, and more. And today, he does his own bird-
dogging, basic repairs and trouble-shooting. All it took was the hook.
Imagine if he had access to an equivalent of Dyna, Heath or Eico
kits?

Again, the hobby is not the problem. The Industry that depends on it
(NOT the other way around) is the problem.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:02:14 -0700, H Davis wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

And that is a deal killer, how? I too am an electronic engineer. I realize
that tubes CAN be inferior to solid-state for bass. I also know that I prefer
the musicality of good tube midrange and high-frequencies to that of
transistors. But I have solved the problem quite adequately in my own system.
My Martin-Logan Vantage Hybrid Electrostatic speakers use my VTL tube 140s
down to their lower limit of about 40Hz. At around 70 Hz my solid-state
powered subwoofers take over down to below 30 Hz. The best of both worlds.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
H Davis H Davis is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:02:14 -0700, H Davis wrote
(in article ):

[quoted text deleted -- deb]

Did you read my article at
http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/Tu...SolidState.htm ?

No power amp with an output transformer can possibly have the low
frequency
power bandwidth that direct-coupled solid state amps do.

And that is a deal killer, how? I too am an electronic engineer. I realize
that tubes CAN be inferior to solid-state for bass. I also know that I
prefer
the musicality of good tube midrange and high-frequencies to that of
transistors. But I have solved the problem quite adequately in my own
system.
My Martin-Logan Vantage Hybrid Electrostatic speakers use my VTL tube 140s
down to their lower limit of about 40Hz. At around 70 Hz my solid-state
powered subwoofers take over down to below 30 Hz. The best of both worlds.

Similar to my setup, but mine is all solid-state. I fail to see how a
_properly designed_ solid state amp can be less "musical" than a tube amp,
especially given the fact that the distortion from the speakers is often
orders of magnitude greater than that of any decent amp, tube or
solid-state.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:56:26 -0700, H Davis wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

The amount of distortion (as long as it's below about 1%) in power amplifiers
doesn't seem to be as important as the KIND of distortion. This is far less
important than it used to be. But generally speaking, transistor distortion
is odd-order and not consonant with music, while tube distortion tends to be
mostly even-order which is consonant with music. The ear can tolerate a lot
of even-order distortion before noticing it, but can instantly hear even
small amounts of odd-order distortion. Of course modern tube and transistor
amps produce so little of either that you likely can't hear it anyway.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

The amount of distortion (as long as it's below about 1%)
in power amplifiers doesn't seem to be as important as
the KIND of distortion.

This is only true if the distortion is high enough to be audible.

IOW, it doesn't matter how relatively high the 100th harmonic is, if all
harmonics including it are so low that they are never heard/

This is far less important than
it used to be. But generally speaking, transistor
distortion is odd-order and not consonant with music,

That is false. Most good power amps are push-pull and have well-balanced
gain in both directions. That means that whether tube or SS, it is
difficult or impossible to generate much even-order distortion, and if they
have any audible distortion at all, it will be odd order.

while tube distortion tends to be mostly even-order which
is consonant with music.

Actually, tubes are nonlinear with a transfer function that is
well-approximated by exponentials, which do not reduce to simple power
series.

The ear can tolerate a lot of
even-order distortion before noticing it, but can
instantly hear even small amounts of odd-order
distortion.

This is unfortunately false. The ear *is* more sensitive to high order
distortion when simple sounds are reproduced. This is because high order
distortion is less likely to be masked by the natural harmonic structure of
music, which tends to favor lower orders. The ear instantly picks up both
even and odd order distortion, absent masking. Musical instruments are
generally rich producers of both even and odd distortion, depending on the
instrument. For example a flute produces considerable odd order distortion
which is why flutes tend to sound hollow. Music made by flutes or flute-like
instruments (other woodwinds, synths) will do a good job of masking odd
order distortion.

Of course modern tube and transistor amps
produce so little of either that you likely can't hear it
anyway.

Well the good ones. We do have a few pathological tube and transistor
amplifiers that seem to be designed to generate nonlinear and linear
distortion. One modern example of a class of modern audiophile power amps
that are designed this way are called "SETs". Note that in the natural
evolution of power amplifiers, SETs were relegated to cheap and outdated
products by the mid-1930s.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
cjt cjt is offline

Sonnova wrote:
snip
The amount of distortion (as long as it's below about 1%) in power amplifiers
doesn't seem to be as important as the KIND of distortion. This is far less
important than it used to be. But generally speaking, transistor distortion
is odd-order and not consonant with music, while tube distortion tends to be
mostly even-order which is consonant with music. The ear can tolerate a lot
of even-order distortion before noticing it, but can instantly hear even
small amounts of odd-order distortion. Of course modern tube and transistor
amps produce so little of either that you likely can't hear it anyway.

That last bit is the key, IMHO. The focus needs to shift to speakers.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
H Davis H Davis is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message
[...]

Truly small amounts of odd-order distortion are not immediately audible, but
eventually cause listener fatigue. This is generally due to such
nonlinearities as crossover distortion in the output stage. In properly
designed solid-state amps however, unless driven to clipping this distortion
is negligible.

Speakers are the source of most objectionable distortion, especially
even-order and of the lower frequencies. Many audiophiles have never heard
truly distortion-free reproduction of low bass, but once they do, their
standards of what constitutes high fidelity increase.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"H Davis" wrote in message

Truly small amounts of odd-order distortion are not
immediately audible, but eventually cause listener
fatigue.

That's an assertion with very little evidence to support it.

This is generally due to such nonlinearities as
crossover distortion in the output stage.

Crossover distortion is due to bias failure, and when it occurs it is not
vanishlingly small.

Speakers are the source of most objectionable distortion,
especially even-order and of the lower frequencies. Many
audiophiles have never heard truly distortion-free
reproduction of low bass, but once they do, their
standards of what constitutes high fidelity increase.

Agreed.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rockinghorse Winner[_3_] Rockinghorse Winner[_3_] is offline

While browsing rec.audio.high-end I came across this interesting post by Arny Krueger )
(Possibly *snipped* for brevity):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

Well the good ones. We do have a few pathological tube and transistor
amplifiers that seem to be designed to generate nonlinear and linear
distortion. One modern example of a class of modern audiophile power amps
that are designed this way are called "SETs". Note that in the natural
evolution of power amplifiers, SETs were relegated to cheap and outdated
products by the mid-1930s.

Some people like to cook their food in wood burning stoves. Other people
drive bikes to work? simpler technology? outdated? Maybe. But there could be
a quality of experience with older technology that you can't duplicate with
more modern stuff. So there.

*R* *H*
--
The 19th-century clown Joseph Grimaldi, when old and incurably depressed,
visited a doctor. The physician advised him to cheer himself up by seeing

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message

Well the good ones. We do have a few pathological tube and transistor
amplifiers that seem to be designed to generate nonlinear and linear
distortion. One modern example of a class of modern audiophile power amps
that are designed this way are called "SETs". Note that in the natural
evolution of power amplifiers, SETs were relegated to cheap and outdated
products by the mid-1930s.

Some people like to cook their food in wood burning stoves. Other people
drive bikes to work? simpler technology? outdated? Maybe. But there could
be
a quality of experience with older technology that you can't duplicate
with
more modern stuff. So there.

snip

What would your "quality of experience" be if you had
paid thousands for that outboard DAC on the premise
that "it was so transparent and revealing" that it could
"clearly reveal the difference in sound between cables"
only to discover that, in fact, it suffered from grossly
incompetent mixed signal design and circuit board layout
and that, in fact, it was a jitter cesspool?

First of all, Dick, I would judge it by how it sounded in my system as
configured....and if I read about which "magic cables" worked well with it,
I likely would have bought one of them as well. If not, I would have
experimented myself to find what worked well. If I was extremely happy with
it, that would be that. I might hesitate to buy from that manufacturer
again if I now knew (and subsequently determined with my own ears) that I
could have obtained equally satisfactory sound from much cheaper gear. But
that would be on a subsequent purchase. I might also tell my friends of my
findings. But it wouldn't stop me from enjoying my purchase.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stephen McElroy Stephen McElroy is offline

In article ,
Dick Pierce wrote:

George Tice's clock ...

... badly designed CD players ...

What would your "quality of experience" be if you had
paid thousands for that outboard DAC on the premise
that "it was so transparent and revealing" that it could
"clearly reveal the difference in sound between cables"
only to discover that, in fact, it suffered from grossly
incompetent mixed signal design and circuit board layout
and that, in fact, it was a jitter cesspool?

Another contribution to the decline of the High End might be the endless
discussion of twenty-year-old controversies.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
H Davis H Davis is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"H Davis" wrote in message

Truly small amounts of odd-order distortion are not
immediately audible, but eventually cause listener
fatigue.

That's an assertion with very little evidence to support it.

I cannot cite a reference, but I have read technical discussions of this and
have observed it for myself. Levels of distortion that are not immediately
obvious do have a cumulative effect on the listener that leads to wanting to
turn the music off.

This is generally due to such nonlinearities as
crossover distortion in the output stage.

Crossover distortion is due to bias failure, and when it occurs it is not
vanishlingly small.

Small amounts can be due to an incorrectly set output stage bias trimmer, or
even be inherent in the design. It need not be obviously visible on an
oscilloscope to be objectionable in long-term listening.

Speakers are the source of most objectionable distortion,
especially even-order and of the lower frequencies. Many
audiophiles have never heard truly distortion-free
reproduction of low bass, but once they do, their
standards of what constitutes high fidelity increase.

Agreed.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Rockinghorse Winner" wrote in
message

"Sonnova" wrote in message

Well the good ones. We do have a few pathological tube
and transistor amplifiers that seem to be designed to
generate nonlinear and linear distortion. One modern
example of a class of modern audiophile power amps that
are designed this way are called "SETs". Note that in
the natural evolution of power amplifiers, SETs were
relegated to cheap and outdated products by the
mid-1930s.

Some people like to cook their food in wood burning
stoves.

As do I. But I know that one chooses the right tool for the job.

If you like glowing bottles and unpredictable sound at a ludicrous price -
buy a SET.

If you want to listen to music and have the best chance of it sounding as
good as possible, avoid the SET.

Other people drive bikes to work?

I do ride a bike to work, but I don't claim that my bike is faster or rides
better than my Milan. When it rains or snows, I don't take the bike and
claim that it is more comfortable than the car.

simpler technology? outdated? Maybe.

No doubt. That there would be any question shows a rather profound need for
historical and technical education.

But there could be
a quality of experience with older technology that you
can't duplicate with
more modern stuff. So there.

Hey, wood fires can be a lot of fun. And if you are out in the woods and run
out of Isobutene... ;-)