Posted to rec.audio.tech
ansermetniac

Default Revox A77 Update

If you recall, last month I asked for help with a motion problem. The
fuse would blow when I pressed play.

Lucky me. Someone was offering a motion board, the one with the relays
and push switches on Ebay. I replaced the board and all is well.

Thanks to those who gave their advice.

Nothing sounds likea Revox. it's weakness? the crosstalk of the bass
frequencies of the tracks going in the other direction. My Akai 630D
is better here. But that Revox sound.

you would not believe what Buddy Collette and the 4 Swinging Shepherds
or Ansermet's 1956 Copelia Sounds like offf the revox A77

let me plug the ebay seller corylinda. they oid everything to make me
happy including sending me the page of the service manual with the
color coding for the wires

Abbedd
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias

ansermetniac wrote:
Nothing sounds likea Revox. it's weakness? the crosstalk of the bass
frequencies of the tracks going in the other direction. My Akai 630D
is better here. But that Revox sound.

Abbedd

That's why 1/2 track is considered professional and 1/4 track a consumer
format.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ansermetniac

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:53:56 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

ansermetniac wrote:
Nothing sounds likea Revox. it's weakness? the crosstalk of the bass
frequencies of the tracks going in the other direction. My Akai 630D
is better here. But that Revox sound.

Abbedd

That's why 1/2 track is considered professional and 1/4 track a consumer
format.

Mark Z.

I agree. But find me some half track prerecorded tapes

Abbedd
Posted to rec.audio.tech

ansermetniac wrote:
Nothing sounds likea Revox. it's weakness? the crosstalk of the bass
frequencies of the tracks going in the other direction. My Akai 630D
is better here.

Of the many, many Revoxes I have measured and serviced, this
was never a problem. This leads me to suspect that you're not
done yet: your machine needs a proper alignment. This is not
a difficult task for an experienced, diligent technician equipped
with a proper, calibrated alignment tape and a service manual.

Once done, my experience is that the crosstalk acorss the band
is at or below the machine's basic boradband noise level, which
is itself probably the lowest for a "consumer" tape machine.

But that Revox sound.

Well, properly set up, the Revox is about as devoid of a "sound"
as any machine that's remotely affordable, but that's it's strength.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D

Nothing sounds likea Revox. it's weakness? the crosstalk of the bass
frequencies of the tracks going in the other direction. My Akai 630D is
better here. But that Revox sound.
======================================
If you're noticing this will all the tapes you play, including
pre-recorded tapes, you may be able to lessen the crosstalk yourself,
with a little tweaking on the playback head. mark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D

I assume any 4 track, and even a 2 track machine, that there will be
crosstalk to some degree, but with the 2 track machine, this effect
would be lessened considerably.

Sure, even with my own 2 TEAC Decks, both 4 track 4 channel units, the
3340S, and A2340R it is audible, and is normal.

These are the typical characteristics of R-R Playback, and another nasty
milady to watch for is Tape Squeal on re-winding-fast forwarding. A
good way to easily burn out a set of tweeters, as it happened to me once
with a pair of JBL L-26 Decade Speakers some 30 years ago. Always make
sure to turn the volume down to zero!

About the only way around lessening it with a 4-track machine, would be
when doing home recordings, just record one side only, but that could
get awfully expensive. lol

It usually is only noticeable when the other side first begins to play,
and you're hearing perhaps the end of the other side of the tape, and
also during very quiet passages.

When I bought my 3340S, I lusted after a A77 Revox, but back then it was
just slightly beyond my financial abilties, at about $1800 in '74-'75.
I walked out the door with the new 3340S for $1000. I always thought
the tape transport system on the Revox was very nicely done, and the
Spun Aluminum NAB Adapters were very pretty. Would love a mint pair for
my TEAC. Mark