Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Audigy ZS + FBQ6200 Ultra-Musical 31-Band Stereo EQ

Hello people,

I'm heading towards buying a hardware stereo equalizer (31-band per
channel) from Behringer and I was wondering if there would be any
problem plugging the soundcard (Audigy ZS PCMCIA) directly to the EQ
and then plug the EQ directly into my BOSE triport headset. I'm not
very good with those specs just yet so I was wondering if anybody had
any thoughts on input/output limitations, signal quality and the such.

Or is it just not a good idea?

The whole idea is to enhance tunability and depth of sound on my
already decent headset. Would I get a plus value to my sound by going
for a full blown hardware EQ altogether, or should I go for something
else.

The next step will be Sennheiser HD650 when I have enough money to
spend on such things .

SPECIFICATIONS FOR AUDIGY ZS PCMCIA

* High Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) exceeding 104 dB using high
linearity, low distortion 24-bit converters with resolutions of up to
192 kHz
* Playback: 24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of digital sources at
96 kHz to analog 7.1 speaker output, 192kHz for Stereo DVD-A
* Recording: 24-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion of stereo analog
inputs at 96 kHz sample rate
* Supports Sony/Philips Digital Interface (SPDIF) format of up to
24-bit/96 kHz quality at selectable sampling rate of 44.1, 48 or 96 kHz

Note: SPDIF output is not available during playback of protected
digital audio contents authored with Microsoft DRM (Digital Rights
Management) technology.

Audio Performance
Signal-to-noise Ratio (AES17, A-Weighted, 20kHz bandwidth) = 104dB (2V
Rated Output)
Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise @ 1kHz (AES17) = 0.006% (2V Rated
Output)
Frequency Response (+/-3dB, 24-bit/96kHz input) = 10Hz to 46kHz (2V
Rated Output)

There's a pdf version of the Graphics EQ manual on this website

http://www.behringer.com/02_products...NG&id=FB...00&

Sensitivity for the BOSE triport headset is 97 dB with a variable
frequency response range.

Many thanks
Jean-Francois Michaud

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jean-François Michaud

Sorry, for some reason the link didn't paste properly.

http://www.behringer.com/02_products...Q6200&type=310

Regards
Jean-Francois Michaud

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
Hello people,

I'm heading towards buying a hardware stereo equalizer
(31-band per channel) from Behringer and I was wondering
if there would be any problem plugging the soundcard
(Audigy ZS PCMCIA) directly to the EQ and then plug the
EQ directly into my BOSE triport headset. I'm not very
good with those specs just yet so I was wondering if
anybody had any thoughts on input/output limitations,
signal quality and the such.

According to the user's guide at www.bose.com the input impedance of these
headphones is in the 150 to 450 ohm region. This may be too low for the
output of the equalizer. The use of a headphone amplifier like one of
Behringer's might be indicated.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jean-François Michaud

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com
Hello people,

I'm heading towards buying a hardware stereo equalizer
(31-band per channel) from Behringer and I was wondering
if there would be any problem plugging the soundcard
(Audigy ZS PCMCIA) directly to the EQ and then plug the
EQ directly into my BOSE triport headset. I'm not very
good with those specs just yet so I was wondering if
anybody had any thoughts on input/output limitations,
signal quality and the such.

According to the user's guide at www.bose.com the input impedance of these
headphones is in the 150 to 450 ohm region.

Hmmm In the owners manual, here

http://www.bose.com/controller?event..._inthebox#tabs

sees to say that it is:

Specifications:

Max. input power: 100mW
Impedance: 32 ohms

Where did you see that it was in the 150 to 450 ohms region?

[snip]

As far as tunability goes, do you th ink it is a good idea altogether
to the this EQ?

Regards
Jean-Francois Michaud

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Jean-François Michaud" wrote in
message
ups.com
Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Different manual for different headphones.

Apparently Bose applies the "triport" label to more than one product.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jean-François Michaud

[snip]

sees to say that it is:

Specifications:

Max. input power: 100mW
Impedance: 32 ohms

Where did you see that it was in the 150 to 450 ohms
region?

Different manual for different headphones.

Apparently Bose applies the "triport" label to more than one product.

Ahh, I see. is 32 ohms still an issue though. Since it resists less,
will it be enough? Could you explain to me how to figure this out
myself. I have basic knowledge in electronics, and should be able to
follow what you say if you explain it to me. If I'm a little bit off
i'll research the missing information.

Many thanks.

Regards
Jean-Francois Michaud

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Jean-François Michaud" wrote in
message
oups.com
[snip]

sees to say that it is:

Specifications:

Max. input power: 100mW
Impedance: 32 ohms

Where did you see that it was in the 150 to 450 ohms
region?

Different manual for different headphones.

Apparently Bose applies the "triport" label to more than
one product.

Ahh, I see. is 32 ohms still an issue though.

Big time.

Since it resists less, will it be enough?

Not at all. A lower impedance load will have a more profound adverse effect
on the equipment driving it.

Could you explain to me
how to figure this out myself. I have basic knowledge in
electronics, and should be able to follow what you say if
you explain it to me. If I'm a little bit off i'll
research the missing information.

Bottom line, if you want to drive 32 ohm phones with a device like the
Behringer equalizer that has so-called line output, you need a headphone
amp.