Peter

Default Marantz "Professional" CD Players - High End or Not?

I recently discovered that Marantz manufactures a number of CD players under
their "professional" banner that even include "niceties" such as "XLR
balanced output" and "index search", features which are frequently only
available on rather expensive "high end" CD players.

It should be noted that these "professional" CD players are priced in the
$500 to $700 dollar range, i.e. much lower than the Marantz "audiophile"
high end CD players.

Hence I wonder if anyone reading this might have had some personal
experience with these "professional" CD players including Models PMD325 and
PMD340?

Thanks in advance for your input.

ftran999

"Peter" wrote in message
I recently discovered that Marantz manufactures a number of CD players

under
their "professional" banner that even include "niceties" such as "XLR
balanced output" and "index search", features which are frequently only
available on rather expensive "high end" CD players.

It should be noted that these "professional" CD players are priced in the
$500 to $700 dollar range, i.e. much lower than the Marantz "audiophile"
high end CD players.

Hence I wonder if anyone reading this might have had some personal
experience with these "professional" CD players including Models PMD325

and
PMD340?

Thanks in advance for your input.

This does not answer your question per se as I am not familiar with the
Marantz line of CD players. However, when a manufacturer of any product,
audio or anything else, puts out a product that is deemed to be part of the
"professional" line, while it may have features more advanced than its
consumer counterparts, what makes it "professional" is its build quality
which makes it stand up to more frequent use. To give you an example, take
photography for instance. Nikon for example makes and has made the F line
of SLRs which cater to pro photogs. Now all things being equal does a Nikon
f4s necessarily take better photos than say an N50. Not necessarily so.
What makes the F series professional is that while the amateur may take one
roll per week or month,a pro will burn several rolls per day. Therefore
Nikon has to come up with an SLR that can handle such excessive use. Now
back to the Marantz.
I am assuming that the professional line is one that is made to cater to DJs
and radio stations. That is they are used very frequently and like the nikon
pro SLRs are built to withstand this constant use and may not necessarily
sound better the the consumer models.

Norman Schwartz

"Peter" wrote in message
I recently discovered that Marantz manufactures a number of CD players

under
their "professional" banner that even include "niceties" such as "XLR
balanced output" and "index search", features which are frequently only
available on rather expensive "high end" CD players.

It should be noted that these "professional" CD players are priced in the
$500 to $700 dollar range, i.e. much lower than the Marantz "audiophile"
high end CD players.

Hence I wonder if anyone reading this might have had some personal
experience with these "professional" CD players including Models PMD325

and
PMD340?

I own the Marantz Professional PMD331. I bought it primarily for the feature
you describe, i.e., allowing for "index" number access (on those CDs which
have them). It's a "cool" player.

Al Lasky

I just recently purchased bought a Marantz Pro PMD 320 CD Player at a very
good discount - the main reason I bought it. Yes, the "professional"
designation basically refers to heavy use as with D.J.s. My model has no
remote - not really needed for D.J.s. It's ruggedly built and also has a
pitch control. It's a nice machine, but not an outstanding one ; and, it's
built to last (I hope).
"Peter" wrote in message
I recently discovered that Marantz manufactures a number of CD players

under
their "professional" banner that even include "niceties" such as "XLR
balanced output" and "index search", features which are frequently only
available on rather expensive "high end" CD players.

It should be noted that these "professional" CD players are priced in the
$500 to $700 dollar range, i.e. much lower than the Marantz "audiophile"
high end CD players.

Hence I wonder if anyone reading this might have had some personal
experience with these "professional" CD players including Models PMD325

and
PMD340?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Norman Schwartz

"Al Lasky" wrote in message
I just recently purchased bought a Marantz Pro PMD 320 CD Player at a very
good discount - the main reason I bought it. Yes, the "professional"
designation basically refers to heavy use as with D.J.s. My model has no
remote - not really needed for D.J.s. It's ruggedly built and also has a
pitch control. It's a nice machine, but not an outstanding one ; and, it's
built to last (I hope).

I own a PMD 331 and shortly will have some "high-end" players for audition
purposes. I hope you might be kind enough to point out those areas where it
"falls short" in a comparison to "high-end" players which are considered
"outstanding". A short while back several posters found the $12 Coby to be
good sounding. I would like to learn what I should be listening to in making
my comparison. Perhaps you might also let us know the speaker/and or
headphones you use to discern audible differences. (If my system belongs in
the "minor leagues" my hopes in learning what to listen for can never be
realized.)
Since the Model 320 which you describe using sells for only $270, it would
be unusual if it were "truly" outstanding.
http://www.american-digital.com/prod...egory.asp?c=66
You can obtain a remote control, RC330, from Marantz Professional for use
with your unit for less that $30.