Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

Default Questions about Alpine 9857 Head Unit

First, does anyone here have this model ? I know that the 9853 is well
thought of, but I hear of complaints about the weird way the controls are
used, and the learning curve of operating the unit being difficult. I am
not sure, but I think the 9857 has easier controls, am I correct ?

My other question relates to how this radio will use a cd changer. Is
there an Alpine remote cd changer that can be controlled by this radio ? I
have explored Crutchfield and the Alpine websites, but cannot find any info
on an external cd changer for this model radio. I would appreciate any info
on this please.

Thank you very much for any comments !!

--james--

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Well, here are my thoughts on the 9857 (and the newer Alpine units in
general).

First (and this is JUST a personal thing), I don't care for the new design.
it looks like the volume knob suddenly grew larger and distorted everything
on the left side. The right-hand side of the deck looks fine, but I just
don't like the way everything curves on the left side. But, again, some
people may dig the new look. I think they should have stuck to the style of
the 9855/9853, etc. I just don't like curves in a HU. But, not a big deal.

What IS a big deal, however, is the way Alpine has decided to do away with
the Bass Engine Pro features on it's higher end models. BIG MISTAKE, IMHO.
I have NO DOUBT that their marketing research told them that people thought
all of those functions (parametric EQ, time alignment, x-over, etc.) were
too confusing to use. So they REALLY dumbed down these new decks. Now
instead of focusing on all the sound shaping features (OK, they brought BBE
back), Alpine is hyping their deck's "integration features" such as iPod,
Bluetooth and HD/sat radio integration. I say, BIG DEAL!!! You could
ALWAYS hook an iPod to an Alpine deck by just using RCA inputs (adaptor
required of course).

Anyway, in an effort to make these new decks easier to use I really believe
Alpine made a BIG MISTAKE by not including these sound shaping tools. I
mean, when I was shopping for a new HU (last year) there were lots of decks
with flashier displays than Alpine (Pioneer has really led the way in this
department and has some INCREDIBLE displays on their newer decks). But I
went with Alpine, partly because I have owned other Alpine decks in the past
that were great, but also because of the comprehensive sound shaping
features that other decks simply lacked (in particular, I found virtually no
other decks that had x-over, time alignment AND a true parametric EQ). The
9853 honestly had EVERYTHING on my "wish list" at the time.

Again, I think Alpine is making a big mistake. If I were you, I would try
to find a new 9855 or 9853 that some store (online or otherwise) still has
lying around.

My $.02,

MOSFET

"James" wrote in message
. ..

First, does anyone here have this model ? I know that the 9853 is well
thought of, but I hear of complaints about the weird way the controls are
used, and the learning curve of operating the unit being difficult. I am
not sure, but I think the 9857 has easier controls, am I correct ?

My other question relates to how this radio will use a cd changer. Is
there an Alpine remote cd changer that can be controlled by this radio ?

have explored Crutchfield and the Alpine websites, but cannot find any

info
on an external cd changer for this model radio. I would appreciate any

info
on this please.

Thank you very much for any comments !!

--james--

Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

MOSFET:

I wonder if you have the model numbers mixed up? I looked at my Crutchfield
catalog, and the Alpine 9857 DOES have the "Bass Engine" (but it does
not say "Bass Engine Pro")

Is there a difference here ?

What about my question about a cd changer ?

Thanks.

--James--

Posted to rec.audio.car
KOA KOA is offline

i agree with the previous poster. current HU wise i would go with
kdcx990 kenwood excelon. or pioneer dehp780 or 880prs. then there is
the dehp980bt which has built in bluetooth handsfree phone kit and
bluetooth wireless streaming audio and all the features of the 780.
the bluetooth hands free is the best sounding one ive tried. if older
models are an option i might go with the kenwood xxvo1d 25th aniversary
edition or cda 9835 9855 or 9853. if even older is an option you could
try finding a cd8053. all of this is subjective of course. the
kenwoods have a good parametric and dual 24bit burr browns.

--
KOA
Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

Thanks KOA, but I have had both Kenwood and Pioneer radios in the past, and
didn't care for them at all. I thought perhaps the Alpine would be a step
up, and thus my questions relate to the Alpine brand.

Thanks again !!

--james--

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

There is a HUGE difference between Bass Engine and Bass Engine Pro. All
Bass Engine is is just adjustable tone controls. That's it.

Check it out.

MOSFET

"James" wrote in message
. ..
MOSFET:

I wonder if you have the model numbers mixed up? I looked at my

Crutchfield
catalog, and the Alpine 9857 DOES have the "Bass Engine" (but it

does
not say "Bass Engine Pro")

Is there a difference here ?

What about my question about a cd changer ?

Thanks.

--James--

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Do you have an OLDER edition of the Crutchfield catalog? One that has a
little older Alpine units? That will set you straight. That explains the
differences between:

Bass Engine - Good
Bass Engine Plus - Better
Bass Engine Pro - Best

And trust me, if it doesn't say Bass Engine Pro, it ain't.

MOSFET

"James" wrote in message
. ..
MOSFET:

I wonder if you have the model numbers mixed up? I looked at my

Crutchfield
catalog, and the Alpine 9857 DOES have the "Bass Engine" (but it

does
not say "Bass Engine Pro")

Is there a difference here ?

What about my question about a cd changer ?

Thanks.

--James--

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Sorry for all these posts. Here, this explains it all, it is a product
description of the 9855 from Crutchfield (note the Bass Engine Pro features
that the 9857 DOES NOT have):
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5QZKMMC...0CDA98 55#Tab

MOSFET

"James" wrote in message
. ..
MOSFET:

I wonder if you have the model numbers mixed up? I looked at my

Crutchfield
catalog, and the Alpine 9857 DOES have the "Bass Engine" (but it

does
not say "Bass Engine Pro")

Is there a difference here ?

What about my question about a cd changer ?

Thanks.

--James--

Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

Thanks MOSFET, that is all very helpful, and does summarize it all very
well.

Your points are well taken.

Any experience with the cd changers that are controlled by the Alpine HU
??

--james--

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

"James" wrote in message
Thanks MOSFET, that is all very helpful, and does summarize it all very
well.

Your points are well taken.

Any experience with the cd changers that are controlled by the Alpine HU
??

--james--

Gosh, no. I've never used a changer in my life. Frankly, it seems to me

that with the ability to put 100+ songs on a burned MP3 disc, who needs a
changer? But, of course, the sound quality of CD's IS better (I guess) than
MP3's and I can certainly see some people wanting a CD changer.

In fact, I don't have one single regular CD in my car right now, they are
ALL burned MP3 discs and MPEG music videos I play on my DVD player. My 38
year old years just can't hear any difference between an MP3 and a CD.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

Yes, good points MOSFET. I will use my iPod, but I want the option of a cd
changer in the future.

--james--

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Just one more thing...

The digital time correction that the BassEngine Pro units have is REALLY
COOL!!! I mean, some of the other Bass Engine Pro features are not really
that necessary, especially the crossover feature as almost all amplifiers
today have built in crossovers. The parametric EQ is important to me (and
if used right, can make a big difference), but others may find it cumbersome
and want plain old bass and treble controls. This is especially true
considering that a spectrum analyzer is really needed to set it properly and
it's VERY easy to actually make your system sound worse if you don't know
what your doing.

But the time alignment is a great feature that can make a big difference in
just about ANY system and does not take any fancy equipment for set-up.
It's most important function, in my opinion, is delaying the front and rear
speakers a little (a few milliseconds) to give the bass in the rear (coming
from subwoofers) a chance to catch up. This is a tremendous tool as it
makes a huge difference in making the soundstage more coherent AND by
synchronizing all the speakers, you do not get the impression the bass is
coming from the rear. It also does an AMAZING job in my system of giving me
a PERFECT center-image. This is done by delaying the left-hand side
speakers (driver side) just a bit more than the right.

It is truly amazing the difference time alignment has on my system. I often
compare how it sounds with the TA (time alignment) out, and then in. It's
startling the difference. It seems to sound muddy and diffused without TA,
but once engaged it's like the music becomes perfectly etched in space right
in front of you (you can close your eyes and point to each musician, like
they are right there).

I tell you this because if you are deciding on a new Alpine unit, I think
the time alignment feature (included in Bass engine Pro and Plus) can make
the biggest impact on sound (definitely more than BBE, which I used to have
on my Alpine 7863 bought in 2001, it was the HU I had right before I bought
the 9853). BBE does make a difference and can improve SQ, but it is NO
SUBSTITUTE for time alignment custom tailored to your car and system.

If Alpine does not bring back TA, my next HU WILL NOT be an Alpine (despite
the fact the last three HU's I've owned have been Alpine's and all have been
great). This feature, to me, is a MUST HAVE!

MOSFET

. ..

Is this Overkill? Dan Erick Car Audio 44 May 28th 04 11:18 PM
rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 4/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 06:54 AM
help connecting power to 2nd head unit Paul Vina Car Audio 1 July 9th 03 08:34 PM
gps install: how to mix its audio (voice prompting) with head unit audio-out? bryan Car Audio 0 July 3rd 03 05:46 PM