Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default defective speakers can blow out receiver?

I have an onkyo TXds797, about 5 years old. for the past year or so, I
have been getting a steady static ticking noise on the front left
channel. This only happens with a digital audio source. So I finally
took it in to the service center. after 10 days and $200 bucks, they
said it was repaired. Brought it home played for 30 minutes, sudden
white noise on all channels and it lost all audio through the digital
sources.

Took it back and the tech said they'll look at it again but also warned
it could be defective speakers or speaker wires that can cause damage
to the receiver circuits.

Is the second part total BS? hope someone can help me out here.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
I have an onkyo TXds797, about 5 years old. for the past
year or so, I have been getting a steady static ticking
noise on the front left channel. This only happens with a
digital audio source. So I finally took it in to the
service center. after 10 days and $200 bucks, they said
it was repaired. Brought it home played for 30 minutes,
sudden white noise on all channels and it lost all audio
through the digital sources.

Took it back and the tech said they'll look at it again
but also warned it could be defective speakers or speaker
wires that can cause damage to the receiver circuits.

Not digital inputs. If the other inputs work, but the digital inputs don't
work, then you've got a case of a defective repair job.

If you lost one output, or both outputs, or the receiver went totally dead,
then bad wiring or hookup could be the cause.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an onkyo TXds797, about 5 years old. for the past year or so, I
have been getting a steady static ticking noise on the front left
channel. This only happens with a digital audio source. So I finally
took it in to the service center. after 10 days and $200 bucks, they
said it was repaired. Brought it home played for 30 minutes, sudden
white noise on all channels and it lost all audio through the digital
sources.

Took it back and the tech said they'll look at it again but also warned
it could be defective speakers or speaker wires that can cause damage
to the receiver circuits.

Is the second part total BS?

**Yes and, no. In your particular case, it would appear that there is a
fault in the digital section. The digital parts of the amp are completely
separate from the audio output stages. However, a fault with speakers and/or
wiring can damage the audio output stages. That is almost certainly NOT your
problem though.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au