Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

Default Ultimate Convergence Device

I just got my HTC Wizard, see
http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/pda/wizard/index.htm

This Pocket PC/world phone is small, yet so powerful, it is more like an
abstract concept than a tangible object. Since it has no "heft", and fits in
a shirt pocket, one simply has value it according to the functionality it
provides. This gadget of negligible appearance can:

Play mpg3, wav, and an assortment of other formats.
Play beautiful video, which I encode myself using the new XviD 4th
generation codec; also, mpg, DivX, etc. Has a 2D video accelerator with zoom
function. The display is as bright and sharp as a laptop. Unlike a laptop,
whch drains quickly watching videos, the Wizard loses only 15% per hour at
standard display brightness.

Browse the web with my choice of browsers: IE, Minimo, Opera.
Connect via 802.11b/g, Bluetooth 2.0 (enhanced data rate)
Act as a wifi finder when walking around town with my laptop.
Run Remote Desktop to Windows PCs.

Store 2 gb per swappable MiniSD card, though I'm using special high speed
(150X) cards, which are currently 1gb. I can store four full length feature
movies on a card, which is the size of a big-toe nail.
Take stills and videos.
Records sound.

The bass ported earbuds are largish and sound beautiful. The bass is HUGE;
the highs are SMOOTH. There's a little mic hanging on the cord. Why is that?

Because it's a PHONE. When I'm playing a movie, if the phone rings, I take
the call, and it automatically resumes when I hang up.
It's an unlocked, quad-band world phone, which means that I can take it to
any GSM country ( 250), put in a local sim card, and I'm in business.

It also puts my laptop on the web, acting as a Class 10 EDGE cell modem, at
speeds up to 216 kb/second.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a pretty cool device Bob, but its already obsolete if it won't
support WCDMA (UMTS) or CDMA 1XeVDO which offer speeds
well above EDGE. EDGE is considered a 2.5 G technology that
just allocates time slots to data. To get the kind of rates you're quoting
the provider would have to allocate that frequencies entire timeslots
to data. None are allowing this and rates will vary as voice
demands vary. Voice is still king in cellular, users will tolerat a lot of
crap and funky data service but won't tolerate
voice degradatation so data users who share
their capacity have to bow to voice demand. EvDO doesn't share
voice capacity and 1XRTT quadrupled voice capacity while EDGE
did nothing to increase capacity. And later this year MediaFlo will
be on in major markets and you'll be further obsolete.

Mobile devices is where the technology is really moving lately.
Its interesting to note that the new PC I got on my desk last
week is essentially the same (except for the display) system
I got for gaming at home 2 years ago... and I didn't consider
it bleeding edge then. PC technology uptake has really slowed.

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"ScottW" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message
I just got my HTC Wizard, see
http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/pda/wizard/index.htm

This Pocket PC/world phone is small, yet so powerful, it is more like an
abstract concept than a tangible object. Since it has no "heft", and fits
in a shirt pocket, one simply has value it according to the functionality
it provides. This gadget of negligible appearance can:

[snip]

Because it's a PHONE. When I'm playing a movie, if the phone rings, I
take the call, and it automatically resumes when I hang up.
It's an unlocked, quad-band world phone, which means that I can take it
to any GSM country ( 250), put in a local sim card, and I'm in business.

It also puts my laptop on the web, acting as a Class 10 EDGE cell modem,
at speeds up to 216 kb/second.

Sounds like a pretty cool device Bob, but its already obsolete if it
won't
support WCDMA (UMTS) or CDMA 1XeVDO which offer speeds
well above EDGE.

It's not obsolete, Scott; it is not state of the art. There is a difference.
In choosing between EVDO, UMTS, and EDGE, I had to go for the solution with
the most coverage and the least onerous Terms of Service.. If you look at
Verizon or Sprint EVDO coverage maps, they are strictkly metro offerings.
And while EVDO falls back to 1xRTT, Verizon is noted as the carrier with
the most data holes, and Sprint isn't much better. I had to have a solution
that is as omnipresent as possible. And Cingular HSPDA/UMTS is barely
present at all. Also, UMTS bands have not been harmonized between the U.S.
and the rest of the world. This means that an HTC Universal, deployed in the
U.S., is capable of running only basic GPRS (no EDGE).

Verizon, Sprint, and Cingular offer "unlimited web browsing" for $60 a
month. They specifically prohibit large file downloads. People who go over 1
gb/month on Verizon are summarily disconnected, with no appeal. Sprint caps
at 2 gb; they simply freeze the account until the next billing cycle. While
T-Mobile EDGE is the slowest, T-Mobile has no usage restrictions. This is
because EDGE/GPRS works by stealing unused time slots. Since the network is
capable prioritizing voice traffic, T-Mobile is not forced to manage EDGE
usage by restrictive TOS.

For $30/month, T-Mobile gives me unlimited EDGE/GPRS ***AND*** unlimited
hotspot access. I find this highly satisfactory. Other users have other
profiles. For example, EVDO seems to be a favorite for sales/service support
in metropolitan areas.

One of the pleasures in technology is anticipation. The field moves so
rapidly that state-of-the-art is almost never available in a fully deployed,
debugged fashion. Yes, my T-Mobile MDA has a short lifetime as my optimal
solution. But I look forward with anticipation to the next round, where
higher data speeds and faster mobile processors will convince me to replace
it. In the next year, we can look forward to Novatel five-band radio chips,
which will allow the construction of devices that support UMTS/HSPDA/EDGE
on both U.S. and international frequency bands.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Mike Gilmour

"ScottW" wrote in message

[...]

Nice device :-) In the US you have so much more use on your PDA's, live TV
for example, here in the UK its quite costly to use GPRS much. I use a
unlocked Treo 650 GSM and I'm delighted with it. I did look at the Treo 700
windows device and others but like the author I'm not decided yet. I've
downloaded full movies onto the 650's card, excellent when viewed using
TCPMP. I'm aware technology moves on rapidly but I'm going to take a lot of
advancement before my Treo 650 is traded. That said it could do with a
better quality speaker for watching movies but I guess space doesn't allow,
but its fine using phones.
Mike

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"ScottW" wrote in message

[...]

Ok... I've seen demos of EDGE vs EVDO on quite a
few devices... Theres a reason EDGE doesn't bitch
about large files. Its so slow.. no one will bother
for long. I am biased but I think the Brew apps
verizon offers is very cool.

There is a difference. In choosing between EVDO, UMTS, and EDGE, I had to
go for the solution with the most coverage and the least onerous Terms of
Service.. If you look at Verizon or Sprint EVDO coverage maps, they are
strictkly metro offerings. And while EVDO falls back to 1xRTT, Verizon is
noted as the carrier with the most data holes, and Sprint isn't much
better.

Don't trust the maps... Verizon is more aggressive than Sprint with
data coverage... Sprint update the maps with planned offerings
and Verizon waits till they test the area.

I had to have a solution that is as omnipresent as possible.

That is a problem...even when the terminal can technically support it
...good luck getting the service provider cross network agreements to
work. Maybe in time but that remains a mess.

And Cingular HSPDA/UMTS is barely present at all. Also, UMTS bands have
not been harmonized between the U.S. and the rest of the world.

And they never will.

This means that an HTC Universal, deployed in the U.S., is capable of
running only basic GPRS (no EDGE).

Verizon, Sprint, and Cingular offer "unlimited web browsing" for $60 a
month. They specifically prohibit large file downloads. People who go over
1 gb/month on Verizon are summarily disconnected, with no appeal. Sprint
caps at 2 gb; they simply freeze the account until the next billing cycle.
While T-Mobile EDGE is the slowest, T-Mobile has no usage restrictions.
This is because EDGE/GPRS works by stealing unused time slots. Since the
network is capable prioritizing voice traffic, T-Mobile is not forced to
manage EDGE usage by restrictive TOS.

It also means your worst service experience in peak traffic areas.
You may be left with no data service at times.

For $30/month, T-Mobile gives me unlimited EDGE/GPRS ***AND*** unlimited
hotspot access. I find this highly satisfactory. Other users have other
profiles. For example, EVDO seems to be a favorite for sales/service
support in metropolitan areas.

One of the pleasures in technology is anticipation. The field moves so
rapidly that state-of-the-art is almost never available in a fully
deployed, debugged fashion. Yes, my T-Mobile MDA has a short lifetime as
my optimal solution. But I look forward with anticipation to the next
round, where higher data speeds and faster mobile processors will convince
me to replace it. In the next year, we can look forward to Novatel
five-band radio chips, which will allow the construction of devices that
support UMTS/HSPDA/EDGE on both U.S. and international frequency bands.

Novatel doesn't make chips AFAIK. They use Qualcomm's
http://www.cdmatech.com/products/index.jsp

http://www.cdmatech.com/news/release...el_msm6200.jsp

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"ScottW" wrote in message

[...]

Not true. I've been in motel rooms 500 miles off the Verizon EVDO map, and
downloaded 30 megs at a time. It is slow, but it does not disconnect. I go
over the Verizon data cap every other month.

I am biased but I think the Brew apps
verizon offers is very cool.

You're not biased, you're right! And it is superior technology, that happens
to make a lot of sense for people who rapidly move within the boundaries of
major urban centers.

There is a difference. In choosing between EVDO, UMTS, and EDGE, I had to
go for the solution with the most coverage and the least onerous Terms of
Service.. If you look at Verizon or Sprint EVDO coverage maps, they are
strictkly metro offerings. And while EVDO falls back to 1xRTT, Verizon
is noted as the carrier with the most data holes, and Sprint isn't much
better.

Don't trust the maps... Verizon is more aggressive than Sprint with
data coverage... Sprint update the maps with planned offerings
and Verizon waits till they test the area.

They are both metro offerings, defaulting to 1xRTT, which is actually a
little slower than EDGE.

I had to have a solution that is as omnipresent as possible.

That is a problem...even when the terminal can technically support it
..good luck getting the service provider cross network agreements to
work. Maybe in time but that remains a mess.

EDGE works very well, roaming off of Cingular. It is sometimes necessary to
adjust TTL upwards.

And Cingular HSPDA/UMTS is barely present at all. Also, UMTS bands have
not been harmonized between the U.S. and the rest of the world.

And they never will.

On June 9, the FCC auctions off two blocks of 2100 spectrum. While Cingular
will probably stick with in-band 1900 for their HSPDA, it appears T-Mobile
will go in the international band.

This means that an HTC Universal, deployed in the U.S., is capable of
running only basic GPRS (no EDGE).

Verizon, Sprint, and Cingular offer "unlimited web browsing" for $60 a
month. They specifically prohibit large file downloads. People who go
over 1 gb/month on Verizon are summarily disconnected, with no appeal.
Sprint caps at 2 gb; they simply freeze the account until the next
billing cycle. While T-Mobile EDGE is the slowest, T-Mobile has no usage
restrictions. This is because EDGE/GPRS works by stealing unused time
slots. Since the network is capable prioritizing voice traffic, T-Mobile
is not forced to manage EDGE usage by restrictive TOS.

It also means your worst service experience in peak traffic areas.
You may be left with no data service at times.

Has never happened to me with EDGE. Even while driving 101 in the LA rush
hour, I still clocked 44 kbs, while moving at 50 mph. OTOH, Verizon EVDO
customers in LA report virtual shutdown at peak periods.

[...]

Thanks for the correction.

http://www.cdmatech.com/news/release...el_msm6200.jsp

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Mike Gilmour" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

[snip]

Nice device :-) In the US you have so much more use on your PDA's, live
TV for example, here in the UK its quite costly to use GPRS much. I use a
unlocked Treo 650 GSM and I'm delighted with it. I did look at the Treo
700 windows device and others but like the author I'm not decided yet.
I've downloaded full movies onto the 650's card, excellent when viewed
using TCPMP. I'm aware technology moves on rapidly but I'm going to take a
lot of advancement before my Treo 650 is traded. That said it could do
with a better quality speaker for watching movies but I guess space
doesn't allow, but its fine using phones.
Mike

The lack of cost-aggressiveness by European operators is puzzling. There's
an old truism that, the more primitive the country, the more expensive the
phone service, but that doesn't apply here. Why are the European operators
so resistant to cutting the price? Is it because they want to keep the
networks lightly loaded, in order to avoid compromising quality of service?
Here, there seems to be more of a "stretch it till it breaks, and by then,
we'll have the next big thing."

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Mike Gilmour

[...]

Who knows why? One thing I do know is, our high costs keeps us in a
communication backwater. Orange 'pay as you go' charges us (robs?) over £3
($5+) per MB! There are slightly better packages but IMO and for my
purposes they are still not considered cost effective except for receiving
emails on the move. Could be that demand is exceeding network capability at
present? Maybe they are waiting for the big analogue switch off to shuffle
frequency bands...I really don't know.

Mike