Posted to rec.audio.tubes
22/7

Default Power tube for guitar amp be used on Hi-Fi amp

My understanding is that there is no such thing as power tube for
guitar amp only as a tube is a tube.

However, when I try to order some power tubes from a guitar store (as
the price is good), I have to choose between hard, medium or soft.
Apparently, the choice is about distortion and thus the sound coming
out. So what is a good choice for using these kind of tubes for Hi-Fi
amp or is it a stupid idea to use tubes intended for guitar amp on
Hi-Fi (or mid-fi) amp?

Thanks,

P. I.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"22/7" wrote in message
ups.com...
My understanding is that there is no such thing as power tube for
guitar amp only as a tube is a tube.

However, when I try to order some power tubes from a guitar store (as
the price is good), I have to choose between hard, medium or soft.
Apparently, the choice is about distortion and thus the sound coming
out. So what is a good choice for using these kind of tubes for Hi-Fi
amp or is it a stupid idea to use tubes intended for guitar amp on
Hi-Fi (or mid-fi) amp?

Thanks,

P. I.

AFAIK there is no such thing as a tube meant for one kind of amp over
another. The whole reason to have a tube amp for guitar is because of the
distortion. There are som solid state amps that are capable of emulating
the sound of classic tube amps, you might want to look into.

If you are going to stay with a tube amp, try a couple different ones, say a
medium and a soft to see what if any difference you hear.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Jere's a link to the kind of amp I was talking about. It will can make your
guitar sound like it's being played through any of 32 different classic
amps. http://www.behringer.com/LX1-PRO/index.cfm?lang=ENG List is $249.00
but you could get it here http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHVAMPPRO for
$169.99. Or maybe something like this would be better
:http://www.behringer.com/GX210/index.cfm?lang=ENG .

It boils down to a choice between real tubes that eventuallyt have to be
repalced or an amp that can make it sound like you're using any of several
tube amps in various cabinets, that will probably outlast the tubes. Worth
investigating. YMMV

wrote in message
nk.net...

"22/7" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Pooh Bear

22/7 wrote:

My understanding is that there is no such thing as power tube for
guitar amp only as a tube is a tube.

However, when I try to order some power tubes from a guitar store (as
the price is good), I have to choose between hard, medium or soft.
Apparently, the choice is about distortion and thus the sound coming
out. So what is a good choice for using these kind of tubes for Hi-Fi
amp or is it a stupid idea to use tubes intended for guitar amp on
Hi-Fi (or mid-fi) amp?

Guitar amplifiers use the same ( range of tubes ) that are available to
everyone else. Different amplifiers use different tubes for a variety of
reasons but notably because different output powers require tubes with
appropriate ratings. Some esoteric guitar amplifiers do, I believe have
biasing options that will affect the sound but that doesn't require
different tubes to be fitted

What's the part number of the tube you want to buy ?

Oh - and now I can retract all I said ! I had half an idea ......

This company.....
http://www.groovetubes.com/tubes_lis...ctGroup_ID=108
Makes 'customised' version of tubes. I'll bet these are the tubes your
guitar dealer is referring to.

They *aren't* 'standard' tubes. Avoid them for hi-fi. Just buy the 'stock'
no-nonsence version. I'm sure many ppl here can advise on a good supplier.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
robert casey

Pooh Bear wrote:

22/7 wrote:

My understanding is that there is no such thing as power tube for
guitar amp only as a tube is a tube.

That's essentially correct. DIfferent manufacturers' tubes *may*
behave slightly differently when driven into distortion regions.
Back in the day they wouldn't have worried about such behavior deviating
from the industry standard for a specific 6V6 beyond that the tube
shouldn't blow up unless being really abused. They would have
focused on tube behavour in the normal linear operating regions
most users would use the tubes for (linear hifi audio amps).

[...]

I doubt that they actually manufacture tubes. Maybe hand pick
tubes (or pick various manufacturers' for differing characteristics
outside the normal operating regions) for their various different
"flavors" for guitar amp use.

I'll bet these are the tubes your
guitar dealer is referring to.

They *aren't* 'standard' tubes. Avoid them for hi-fi. Just buy the 'stock'
no-nonsence version. I'm sure many ppl here can advise on a good supplier.

Graham

They may work fine for hifi use, but you should be able to get
better prices elsewhere.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RapidRonnie

wrote:
Jere's a link to the kind of amp I was talking about. It will can make your
guitar sound like it's being played through any of 32 different classic
amps.
http://www.behringer.com/LX1-PRO/index.cfm?lang=ENG List is $249.00
but you could get it here http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHVAMPPRO for
$169.99. Or maybe something like this would be better
:http://www.behringer.com/GX210/index.cfm?lang=ENG .

It boils down to a choice between real tubes that eventuallyt have to be
repalced or an amp that can make it sound like you're using any of several
tube amps in various cabinets, that will probably outlast the tubes. Worth
investigating. YMMV

Modelling based guitar effects devices (standalone, built into the
amp, or built into the guitar itself) approximate the real thing about
like a middle finger approximates an erect penis.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RapidRonnie

robert casey wrote:
Pooh Bear wrote:

22/7 wrote:

[...]

Groove Tubes buys large quantities of cheap foreign tubes (for the
most part), sorts out and peddles or destroys the duds, and "grades"
and matches them according to the biasing needed for roughly
approximate equal quiescent current and for distortion overload
spectra. Theoretically, hi-fi users do not operate tubes in this region
making it irrelevant.

Other vendors approximate the approximateness of Groove Tubes.

Generally better sources for tubes exist for any user, guitar or
hi-fi, with the technical knowledge and willingness to use it as to
bias amps correctly. In reality, because Aspen Pittman is almost wholly
ignorant of basic electronics, they are a marketing/sales organization
with a good line of BS and the dealer support and advertising to
generate sales in the MI market.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"RapidRonnie" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

And your proof of this is where?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
robert casey

Modelling based guitar effects devices (standalone, built into the
amp, or built into the guitar itself) approximate the real thing about
like a middle finger approximates an erect penis.

Depends on how good the models are....
"I saw mommy blowing Santa Claus....."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Armand

In article et,
says...

"RapidRonnie" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

In the listening. Modeling amps sound absolutely phony compared to a
a good tube amp.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret Ludwig

Armand wrote:
snip

And your proof of this is where?

In the listening. Modeling amps sound absolutely phony compared to a
a good tube amp.

Actually they have went in the last five years or so from being so
blatant no one could stand to use them to passable if you are playing
airport lounge casuals gigs. But they have about plateaued as far as I
can tell.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RapidRonnie

Bret Ludwig wrote:
Armand wrote:
snip

And your proof of this is where?

In the listening. Modeling amps sound absolutely phony compared to a
a good tube amp.

Actually they have went in the last five years or so from being so
blatant no one could stand to use them to passable if you are playing
airport lounge casuals gigs. But they have about plateaued as far as I
can tell.

Unfortunately FAA noise regs no longer allow airplanes loud enough to
drown out the band sound that much.....Modeling amps are, if anything,
WORSE than analog attempts to duplicate tube sound, like the Paul Reed
Smith amps.