Forty Winks

Default AKG 451EB with CK1. Resonance.

I've just picked up a fairly old 451EB body with a fairly new looking CK1
Capsule. As a quick test I've plugged it in and done a quick 'two' test
while holding the mic in my hand and listening on headphones.

If I gently tap the mic body or capsule you the mic outputs a metallic
'ping' sound. Is this normal? I also put the mic on a stand using the SA40
clip that came with it and strummed an acoustic guitar & talked in front of
it & all sounds well on first impressions.

The capsule cover is tight and secure & the capsule is securely screwed
onto the body. I've used these mics hundreds of times but never actually
tapped one while listening at the same time!

Any help would be most appreciated.
Phil Allison

"Forty Winks"

I've just picked up a fairly old 451EB body with a fairly new looking CK1
Capsule. As a quick test I've plugged it in and done a quick 'two' test
while holding the mic in my hand and listening on headphones.

If I gently tap the mic body or capsule you the mic outputs a metallic
'ping' sound. Is this normal?

** Yep.

I also put the mic on a stand using the SA40
clip that came with it and strummed an acoustic guitar & talked in front
of
it & all sounds well on first impressions.

The capsule cover is tight and secure & the capsule is securely screwed
onto the body. I've used these mics hundreds of times but never actually
tapped one while listening at the same time!

Any help would be most appreciated.

** The CK5 capsule is fully suspended and does not pinnnnnnnnng.