Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] rassclaht2@gmail.com is offline

Default Who makes the best DAC chips?

Hello,

I am in the market for a DAC. And like most computer hardware, only a
few manufacturers make DAC chips. Many people design different output
stages for the DACs but even the best designed output stage is only
as good as the source feeding it. So I got to wondering: who makes the
best DAC chips?

This DAC would be for regular CD format, not SACD.

Thanks and regards,

Dean
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

Hello,

I am in the market for a DAC. And like most computer
hardware, only a few manufacturers make DAC chips. Many
people design different output stages for the DACs but
even the best designed output stage is only as good as
the source feeding it. So I got to wondering: who makes
the best DAC chips?

This DAC would be for regular CD format, not SACD.

It's a competitive battle, with the major players being Crystal, AKM, and
TI. However released a SOTA chip last is probably the winner, this week.
;-)

Good DAC chips for 16/44 are just about at the jelly bean level. Most
recent optical players I look inside are using AKM chips that convert as
high as 24/192, but have about 96 dB dynamic range, so that means that they
do a good job with CDs, and technically degrade the higher resolution
formats, as if it makes any sonic difference.