Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steve[_15_] Steve[_15_] is offline

Default do all pre-amps sound the same?

Hi

It occurs to me that all the arguments here about amps sounding the
same refer to power amps not pre amps, come to think of it all the
articles I have seen on this topic refer to power amps too. I am
interested has anyone tried this on pre-amps? Or on integrated amps
which combine the two?

Steve
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi

It occurs to me that all the arguments here about amps sounding the
same refer to power amps not pre amps, come to think of it all the
articles I have seen on this topic refer to power amps too. I am
interested has anyone tried this on pre-amps? Or on integrated amps
which combine the two?

Steve

The issue of all amplifiers sounding the same is one of thresholds of
hearing. All modern electronics, unless specifically designed to be so, will
have an essentially flat frequency response, low distortion in all its forms
and low noise. As these are well below the threshold of audibility, it
follows that all electronics will sound the same once level matched and used
within their design parameters. This will apply even more to pre-amps which
by their very nature have an easier task than power amps.

The sole proviso to the above is the RIAA equalisation and cartridge loading
that some pre-amps still provide if they have phono inputs. The RIAA
accuracy will determine the overall phono frequency response, and the
cartridge loading will determine how the cartridge performs. Consequently, I
would expect that if there are any differences when levels are accurately
matched and under suitably blind conditions, then it is most likely due to
the RIAA eq or cartridge.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:43:09 -0700, Serge Auckland wrote
(in article ):

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

That's a reasonable assumption.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Steve[_15_] Steve[_15_] is offline

Consequently, I
would expect that if there are any differences when levels are accurately
matched and under suitably blind conditions, then it is most likely due to
the RIAA eq or cartridge.

S.

That's a reasonable assumption.- Hide quoted text -

I forgot about the phono input but leaving that aside are there no
differences likely in a well designed pre? And if so presumably no
lilely differences between a pre/power combo and an integrated combo
providing they have the same specs?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message

snip

[...]

Don't forget the interface.....output impedances of preamps can vary widely
with frequency response and vary greatly from model to model. This makes
matching up with the input impedances of power amps iffy in some cases. I
have Onkyo preamps, for example, that work fine with most power amps but
roll off noticeably when mated with Outlaw monoblocks. Yet the preamps
rated output impedance (at 1000 ohms) is the standard "100 ohms" and the
input impedance of the amps is the standard "10k ohms".

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Mar 30, 10:13*am, Steve wrote:
Hi

It occurs to me that all the arguments here about amps sounding the
same refer to power amps not pre amps, come to think of it all the
articles I have seen on this topic refer to power amps too. I am
interested has anyone tried this on pre-amps? Or on integrated amps
which combine the two?

Steve

Hmmm... I would state that pre-amps are much more subject to component
condition, circuit design and quality. A prime example of this might
be the venerable PAT-5 (Dynaco) vs. the PAT-5 BiFET. The latter
sounded pretty flat pretty universally. The former could sound
anything from flat to glass-in-a-blender depending on the specific
quality of a couple of transistors in the driver circuit - the FET mod
cured this variance. I have cleaned up any number of tube pre-amps and
made remarkable differences to their sound simply by careful capacitor
replacement, component cleaning, tube replacement (if required) and so
forth.

But all of the above really does not answer your question directly.

I keep at present a total of six pre-amps - the solid-state units
pretty much sound of-a-piece. The tube units also pretty much sound of-
a-piece. But there is a difference that I (believe I) can pick out
100% of the time between them (tube & SS) but not hardly that
accurately within them. Which is better? Mpffff.... I like 'em both.

Neither does that as I won't say a flat "yes". But I do not subscribe
the every-component-is-sonically-different position either.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
[...]

If there is roll-off with the Outlaw monoblocks, then there are several
possibilities:-

1) The roll-off is a subjective impression which is not there when measured.
By the way, I assume you meant (at 1000 Hz) not 1000 ohms.

2) You are using a very long length of cable between your preamp and Outlaw
power amp ;-) With an output impedance of 100 ohms into 10k, there should be
no roll off in the audio band unless the capacitance is pretty high. I
calculate a 3dB drop at 20kHz needs a capacitance of 79nF. With typical
100-150pF/metre capacitance, that's 527-790 metres of cable!

3) The output impedance of the preamp is not 100 ohms, but a great deal
higher.

4) The input of the Outlaw power amp has a very high capacitance. Normally
it would be a few pF, but if Outlaw for whatever reason put, for example,
100nF, then there would indeed be a noticeable roll-off even with short
cables.

If 1) above is not the case, then there's ALWAYS a measurable reason for any
effect.

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
[...]

It's either 3 or 4. Cables are short, and the monoblocks sound fine with my
ARC and Audionics preamps.

It may be a combination of both. The Onkyo preamps are their AV models from
the early 90's (I tried three with remote as a poor man's multichannel
amp...works well except for the rolloff). I doubt that they use a buffered
output, and suspect that impedance rises with frequency.

The outlaw monoblocks are a hybrid class A/AB up to 60 watts, then a digital
amp above that. Their stated input impedance is a bit low at 10k at 1000hz
(yep!) and may drop further at high frequencies.

Nonetheless, I think while most preamp/amp mismatches are more subtle than
mine, some variance can sometimes be found which can influence system
matching. That was my point.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not seeing strong evidence for 'rolloff' here. Possibility
#1 has by no means been discounted.

___
-S
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_sheep
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:08:40 -0700, Harry Lavo wrote
(in article ):

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
[...]

By digital, do you mean "class D"? So, this amp changes from class A and A/B
above 60 Watts to class D? I'd love to see how they accomplish THAT!

Nonetheless, I think while most preamp/amp mismatches are more subtle than
mine, some variance can sometimes be found which can influence system
matching. That was my point.

Well, I think that it would have to be SOME roll-off for anyone to actually
hear any attenuation above about 10KHz.

#1 has by no means been discounted.

Measurement, no. But in a system I know and has always sounded "one way"
with much other equipment, and suddenly it is dull and lifeless when these
preamps are inserted....careful listening was used to determine that I
wasn't just imagining it involving lots of swapping (yes, Steven, I am
objective enough that the thought occurred to me....I often start where you
leave off). There is a HF rolloff that is pretty severe and sonically very
degrading. And it is a design parameter, not a flaw...since it exists no
matter which of the three preamps are used with the Outlaws, and it doesn't
exist with any one of three other power amps or with other preamps used with
the same power amps. And it is infinitely repeatable.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

#1 has by no means been discounted.

Measurement, no. But in a system I know and has always sounded "one way"
with much other equipment, and suddenly it is dull and lifeless when these
preamps are inserted....careful listening was used to determine that I
wasn't just imagining it involving lots of swapping (yes, Steven, I am
objective enough that the thought occurred to me....I often start where you
leave off). There is a HF rolloff that is pretty severe and sonically very
degrading. And it is a design parameter, not a flaw...since it exists no
matter which of the three preamps are used with the Outlaws, and it doesn't
exist with any one of three other power amps or with other preamps used with
the same power amps. And it is infinitely repeatable.

and again...possibility #1 has by no means been discounted.

Let's assume the 'pretty severe' rolloff is real, though...
have you considered writing to Outlaw Audio? They could
confirm whether your claim that it's a 'design paramenter'
is true. If it's not not, maybe they'll fix your broken Outlaw
for you.

___

#1 has by no means been discounted.

Measurement, no. But in a system I know and has always sounded "one way"
with much other equipment, and suddenly it is dull and lifeless when these
preamps are inserted....careful listening was used to determine that I
wasn't just imagining it involving lots of swapping (yes, Steven, I am
objective enough that the thought occurred to me....I often start where
you
leave off). There is a HF rolloff that is pretty severe and sonically
very
degrading. And it is a design parameter, not a flaw...since it exists no
matter which of the three preamps are used with the Outlaws, and it
doesn't
exist with any one of three other power amps or with other preamps used
with
the same power amps. And it is infinitely repeatable.

So measure it and tells us what it is. If you can hear a roll-off, then you
can measure it. It's not that difficult, any half-decent sound card, an
attenuator and any of the free audio analysis programs will do it. You could
also ask Outlaw what the input capacitance of their amp is. If it's very
high, then it would give you a roll-off with almost any pre-amp.

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Thomas Tornblom Thomas Tornblom is offline

Sonnova writes:

The outlaw monoblocks are a hybrid class A/AB up to 60 watts, then a digital
amp above that. Their stated input impedance is a bit low at 10k at 1000hz
(yep!) and may drop further at high frequencies.

By digital, do you mean "class D"? So, this amp changes from class A and A/B
above 60 Watts to class D? I'd love to see how they accomplish THAT!

Apparently it is Class G:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/support/faq_200.html

#1 has by no means been discounted.

[...]

Again, Steven....I'm ahead of you. That was one of the first things I did.
They did not come right out and say it, but they did acknowledge that the
input impedance was lower than normal and that some preamps with a rising
high end impedance might affect frquency response.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Hi

It occurs to me that all the arguments here about amps sounding the
same refer to power amps not pre amps, come to think of it all the
articles I have seen on this topic refer to power amps too. I am
interested has anyone tried this on pre-amps? Or on integrated amps
which combine the two?

Steve

The question of preamps sounding the same has to be qualified. Apparently not all are built
with sensible input and output specs. I remember a Tascam mixing board that caused a HF
rolloff when driven from a Tascam 4-channel tape deck. It turned out that there were
capacitors, soldered physically right across the input jacks of the board. Go figure.
Maybe they were added at the last minute. Or maybe the guy who sold it to me had done it it
(I don't recall if the caps were in the schematic -- this was in the 70s -- but I kind of
think they were). Another issue is the argument that the rise in source (output) impedance
of some power amps at high frequencies can cause response changes as a function of the
differing HF driver loads of various speakers. Since amplifiers have an extremely low
source impedance, relative to the load impedance (4 Ohms, 8 Ohms, whatever), it would seem
negligible, unless it rises a whole lot, and this might be just another imagined problem,
rampant in these circles.

None the less, there can be problems interfacing sources with preamps, preamps with power
amps, as well as power amps with speakers. In a world of sensibly designed equipment, it
wouldn't happen, but occasionally does. A competent technician should be aware of the
potential problems, and check for them. Similarly, a competent technician will check the
output impedance of any source that's going to be driving a long cable, calculate it's
capacitance, and ensure that the resulting HF rolloff will be well above the audio range.
For plug-n-play people, these are potential situations, and in the final analysis, the
components can indeed sound different.

Properly interfaced, I believe they won't. Serge gave the details of that well in his first
follow-up.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

#1 has by no means been discounted.

[...]

How about you reprint what Outlaw actually wrote?

#1 has by no means been discounted.

[...]

Because I talked to them on the phone. Hard to "reprint" a phone
conversation.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

Don't forget the interface.....output impedances of
preamps can vary widely with frequency response and vary
greatly from model to model.

Yes and no. There are two relevant specs, the output impedance of the
preamp, and the range of impedances that the preamp is designed to drive.
These are two different things.

The output impedance of preamp exists mostly to predict the high frequency
losses due to capacitive loading. To a lesser degree, it predicts over-all
losses of gain due to resistive loading.

The range of impedances that the preamp is designed to drive helps predict
the low frequency response of the preamp, and its ability to deliver large
signals.

For example, consider a preamp that has an output impedance of 1000 ohms,
but is designed to drive loads of 100,000 ohms or above.

The 1000 ohm output impedance suggests that loads of as little as 10,000
ohms will be driven with something like a fairly minimal 1 dB loss, and that
a wide range of cable capacitances can be driven with few high frequency
losses. But 1000 ohms is not low enough for driving exceptionally long
cables, such as 100 feet. 100 ohms would be better.

The fact that the preamp is designed drive loads of 100,000 ohms or above
suggests that a load with 10,000 ohm input impedance may cause significant
low frequency losses, and that the preamp may be unable to deliver its full
rated output.

This makes matching up with
the input impedances of power amps iffy in some cases. I
have Onkyo preamps, for example, that work fine with most
power amps but roll off noticeably when mated with Outlaw
monoblocks.

That would be surprising if the Onkyo are reasonably modern SS designs. I
would expect that they would drive a 10,000 ohm load with full bandwidth
down to 20 Hz and below.

Yet the preamps rated output impedance (at
1000 ohms) is the standard "100 ohms"

No, 1000 ohms is not 100 ohms.

and the input impedance of the amps is the standard "10k ohms".

Agreed. It is not unusual to find power amps with input impedances as low
as 5,000 ohms, but not many below that.