Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath David E. Bath is offline

Default [Admin] RAHE hiatus until May 4 2008

Due to my unavailability starting on April 25 and lasting thru May 3,
RAHE will be on hiatus. Posts received after 7 pm April 24 will not
be processed until the morning of May 4.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:03:10 -0700, David E. Bath wrote
(in article Ok8Qj.7558$Ks1.5827@trnddc01):

Due to my unavailability starting on April 25 and lasting thru May 3,
RAHE will be on hiatus. Posts received after 7 pm April 24 will not
be processed until the morning of May 4.

And this is what is wrong with a moderated newsgroup. It's unreliable due to
the incursion by a third party.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:03:10 -0700, David E. Bath wrote
(in article Ok8Qj.7558$Ks1.5827@trnddc01):

Due to my unavailability starting on April 25 and
lasting thru May 3, RAHE will be on hiatus. Posts
received after 7 pm April 24 will not be processed until
the morning of May 4.

And this is what is wrong with a moderated newsgroup.
It's unreliable due to the incursion by a third party.

David is all that keeps this place from being another RAO.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath David E. Bath is offline

In article ,
Sonnova writes:
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:03:10 -0700, David E. Bath wrote
(in article Ok8Qj.7558$Ks1.5827@trnddc01):

Due to my unavailability starting on April 25 and lasting thru May 3,
RAHE will be on hiatus. Posts received after 7 pm April 24 will not
be processed until the morning of May 4.

And this is what is wrong with a moderated newsgroup. It's unreliable due to
the incursion by a third party.

Actually this was caused by the lack of a second full time moderator.
Anyone who is Unix or Linux literate that wants to volunteer please
let me know.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:03:10 -0700, David E. Bath wrote
(in article Ok8Qj.7558$Ks1.5827@trnddc01):

Due to my unavailability starting on April 25 and
lasting thru May 3, RAHE will be on hiatus. Posts
received after 7 pm April 24 will not be processed until
the morning of May 4.

And this is what is wrong with a moderated newsgroup.
It's unreliable due to the incursion by a third party.

David is all that keeps this place from being another RAO.

I agree that David is excellent at keeping the discourse civil, Arny.

Moderation has its disadvantages, but the generally civil mood that it
brings is welcome.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 4 May 2008 19:45:34 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:03:10 -0700, David E. Bath wrote
(in article Ok8Qj.7558$Ks1.5827@trnddc01):

Due to my unavailability starting on April 25 and
lasting thru May 3, RAHE will be on hiatus. Posts
received after 7 pm April 24 will not be processed until
the morning of May 4.

And this is what is wrong with a moderated newsgroup.
It's unreliable due to the incursion by a third party.

David is all that keeps this place from being another RAO.

Sure, but what he needs is back-up.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:03:10 -0700, David E. Bath wrote
(in article Ok8Qj.7558$Ks1.5827@trnddc01):

Due to my unavailability starting on April 25 and
lasting thru May 3, RAHE will be on hiatus. Posts
received after 7 pm April 24 will not be processed
until the morning of May 4.

And this is what is wrong with a moderated newsgroup.
It's unreliable due to the incursion by a third party.

David is all that keeps this place from being another
RAO.

Sure, but what he needs is back-up.

I suspect that the Linux thing is a stopper for many.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 6 May 2008 15:50:35 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:03:10 -0700, David E. Bath wrote
(in article Ok8Qj.7558$Ks1.5827@trnddc01):

Due to my unavailability starting on April 25 and
lasting thru May 3, RAHE will be on hiatus. Posts
received after 7 pm April 24 will not be processed
until the morning of May 4.

And this is what is wrong with a moderated newsgroup.
It's unreliable due to the incursion by a third party.

David is all that keeps this place from being another
RAO.

Sure, but what he needs is back-up.

I suspect that the Linux thing is a stopper for many.

I have a Mac which gives me direct access to command-line Unix, but I don't
know what the requirements are for moderating a group.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:03:10 -0700, David E. Bath wrote
(in article Ok8Qj.7558$Ks1.5827@trnddc01):

Due to my unavailability starting on April 25 and
lasting thru May 3, RAHE will be on hiatus. Posts
received after 7 pm April 24 will not be processed
until the morning of May 4.

And this is what is wrong with a moderated newsgroup.
It's unreliable due to the incursion by a third party.

David is all that keeps this place from being another
RAO.

Sure, but what he needs is back-up.

I suspect that the Linux thing is a stopper for many.

I've actually got dual-boot Windows/Linux setups on my computers now, but
it's the time committment that gives me pause.

--
-S
maybe they wanna rock.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:03:10 -0700, David E. Bath wrote
(in article Ok8Qj.7558$Ks1.5827@trnddc01):

Due to my unavailability starting on April 25 and
lasting thru May 3, RAHE will be on hiatus. Posts
received after 7 pm April 24 will not be processed
until the morning of May 4.

And this is what is wrong with a moderated newsgroup.
It's unreliable due to the incursion by a third party.

David is all that keeps this place from being another
RAO.

Sure, but what he needs is back-up.

I suspect that the Linux thing is a stopper for many.

I have a Mac which gives me direct access to command-line Unix, but I don't
know what the requirements are for moderating a group.

As I said in a reply to another post to this thread, please contact me
for info if one is interested in being a moderator.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Steven Sullivan writes:

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:03:10 -0700, David E. Bath wrote
(in article Ok8Qj.7558$Ks1.5827@trnddc01):

Due to my unavailability starting on April 25 and
lasting thru May 3, RAHE will be on hiatus. Posts
received after 7 pm April 24 will not be processed
until the morning of May 4.

And this is what is wrong with a moderated newsgroup.
It's unreliable due to the incursion by a third party.

David is all that keeps this place from being another
RAO.

Sure, but what he needs is back-up.

I suspect that the Linux thing is a stopper for many.

I've actually got dual-boot Windows/Linux setups on my computers now, but
it's the time committment that gives me pause.

Actually it doesn't take me much more time to process posts than I
would just reading the group assuming one reads all of the posts
anyway. Not many posts get rejected nowadays besides off-topic stuff
which is rare. Spam gets filtered before a moderator sees it. I rarely
spend more than a hour a day on RAHE moderating. Now if we had a
second moderator that could process posts during the work day like we
used to then the traffic could possibly double.

The only reason for the hiatus this time was that I was out of town
and I did not have computer access. Most of the time I leave town I do
have my laptop with me and so there is no interruption.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator