Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Glass Audio on CD.

Glass Audio back issues have been put on CD and appears to be pretty
good value for anyone wanting to read about
tubecraft.

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...ues/BISGAM.htm

Its costs, but not much so don't whinge.

Have a great weekend,

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Mark S Mark S is offline

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 16, 4:09 am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Glass Audio back issues have been put on CD and appears to be pretty
good value for anyone wanting to read about
tubecraft.

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...ues/BISGAM.htm

Its costs, but not much so don't whinge.

It's a reasonable resource. I have tried to support them since they
are the last DIY audio business going of any size and kept it going
through the consumo years.

I have most all GA except the first few years. Kinda lost interest when it
all merged int AXpress. Damn, the ninety's were kind of a golden age for
tube audio rebirth I guess. Enjoyed that.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Engineer Engineer is offline

Location: Thornhill, Ontario

On Mar 16, 6:23 pm, "Mark S" wrote:
"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message

ups.com... On Mar 16, 4:09 am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Glass Audio back issues have been put on CD and appears to be pretty
good value for anyone wanting to read about
tubecraft.

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...ues/BISGAM.htm

Its costs, but not much so don't whinge.

It's a reasonable resource. I have tried to support them since they
are the last DIY audio business going of any size and kept it going
through the consumo years.

I have most all GA except the first few years. Kinda lost interest when it
all merged int AXpress. Damn, the ninety's were kind of a golden age for
tube audio rebirth I guess. Enjoyed that.

I was very tempted but they want US$16.00 to mail a CD to Canada!
Last one I mailed was less than $2.
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

"Engineer" wrote in message
ps.com...

4:09 am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Glass Audio back issues have been put on CD and appears to be pretty
good value for anyone wanting to read about
tubecraft.

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...ues/BISGAM.htm

Its costs, but not much so don't whinge.

It's a reasonable resource. I have tried to support them since they
are the last DIY audio business going of any size and kept it going
through the consumo years.

I have most all GA except the first few years. Kinda lost interest when

it
all merged int AXpress. Damn, the ninety's were kind of a golden age for
tube audio rebirth I guess. Enjoyed that.

I was very tempted but they want US$16.00 to mail a CD to Canada!
Last one I mailed was less than $2.
Cheers,
Roger

That's probably because of the recent crackdown by the RIAA for pirated
music (Mainly because of China's blatant disregard for intellectual
property). Why don't you write to AudioXpress? I think their customer
service is responsive. At least you might find out the reason for the
inflated shipping charges.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Engineer wrote:

On Mar 16, 6:23 pm, "Mark S" wrote:
"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message

ups.com... On Mar 16, 4:09 am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Glass Audio back issues have been put on CD and appears to be pretty
good value for anyone wanting to read about
tubecraft.

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...ues/BISGAM.htm

Its costs, but not much so don't whinge.

It's a reasonable resource. I have tried to support them since they
are the last DIY audio business going of any size and kept it going
through the consumo years.

I have most all GA except the first few years. Kinda lost interest when it
all merged int AXpress. Damn, the ninety's were kind of a golden age for
tube audio rebirth I guess. Enjoyed that.

I was very tempted but they want US$16.00 to mail a CD to Canada!
Last one I mailed was less than $2.
Cheers,
Roger

But what is $16? the price of two hamburgers?

As one guy said, the 1990s were a terrific re-birthing time
for tubecraft and such an era will never happen again
unless a younger more virile group of men become interested.
They'll be generation Xers of course, and they missed out
being around tubes in their formative years, and they barely rememember
anything analog or vinyl, and are by enlarge totally corrupted by money,
and by having no time for DIY or focused analysis, and only want digital
craperama..
Hence there is only maybe 3 posts per day about tubecraft at r.a.t,
and most about guitar amp bothers from people wanting a fix, and with no
time to learn.

I once paid $100 for a very poor condition 1960 Trio AM-FM stereo
receiver just so I could spend
2 months pulling it apart and re-building it totally, which I eventually
did twice,
while studying the old texts about how such gear actually worked.

That time and effort could have been worth $10,000 had I received wages
for the
time spent learning.

Someone 40 with a couple of kids and a mortgage and restless wife never
seems
to focus on anything much other than consumeristicatious survivalism,
because the one thing the world will never
run out of is wants, or if you like demand, for 1,001 things, and latter
generations X and Y
have been seriously hooked on the 1850s theme of "Putting on the agony,
Putting on the style."
Perhaps it was Tom Paxton who made this tune again popular in the 1960s
when i learnt to
sing it folk cafes. I also liked his song, "Little Boxes"
about the crass boring newly invented suburbs all with identical looking
houses
which made you feel like a number, not a person.
I got over that though and settled down, but rejected so many things
that everyone else
seemed to think I should have.
I was well criticised for being a "laid back minimalist."
( I thought it preferable to being an "up-tight maximalist",
and proceeded to work to live, rather than live to work..)

By saying "no", I gave myself time to reflect, to think, explore,
something rare in anyone I meet now.
"No" meant not having to find the time to earn the money for the vapid
style
of life other people have been sucked into living.
I rarely ever buy what I don't need, and I sure never buy what I don't
want.
I'd rather have a bicycle instead of a Porche.

And I have not found any better sound available
from speakers and amplifiers I didn't design and build.
I wish I could find something to force me to think again,
and at present I am pursuing hi-fi nivirna from a kit of ESL parts,
but finding better gets more difficult....

I will always present an alternative to a status quo if I can.

I also believe a society's art and craft prospers when people
have very little, but have time.

If you look at the past of eastern europe behind the "iron cutain" of
communism,
people were restricted, and had SFA, but they could still pull out an
old violin in Prague
and play on with their friends until dawn.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Patric Patric is offline

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 06:57:52 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Engineer wrote:

On Mar 16, 6:23 pm, "Mark S" wrote:
[...]

houses,sing it folk cafes. I also liked his song, "Little Boxes"
about the crass boring newly invented suburbs all with identical looking
houses,

Depends where you were living at the time, Patrick:=))
if I remember correctly it was Lonnie Donegan who had a hit with that
song,

that were all made of "ticky tacky", and they all. looked just the
same !Btw tthat one was was mainly from Pete Seeger, who sang with the
the Weavers, in the 50's and 60's and had a lot of solo hits such as
"turn, turn" the Ballad of Joe Hill, keep thoem wheels a turnin' and
others.
which made you feel like a number, not a person.
I got over that though and settled down, but rejected so many things
that everyone else
seemed to think I should have.
I was well criticised for being a "laid back minimalist."
( I thought it preferable to being an "up-tight maximalist",
and proceeded to work to live, rather than live to work..)

By saying "no", I gave myself time to reflect, to think, explore,
something rare in anyone I meet now.
"No" meant not having to find the time to earn the money for the vapid
style
of life other people have been sucked into living.
I rarely ever buy what I don't need, and I sure never buy what I don't
want.
I'd rather have a bicycle instead of a Porche.but you can have a Porsche bicycle if you want

And I have not found any better sound available
from speakers and amplifiers I didn't design and build.
I wish I could find something to force me to think again,
and at present I am pursuing hi-fi nirvana from a kit of ESL parts,
but finding better gets more difficult....

are those from Rob Mckinley's ER Audio in WA?

I will always present an alternative to a status quo if I can.

I also believe a society's art and craft prospers when people
have very little, but have time.

If you look at the past of eastern europe behind the "iron curtain" of
communism,
people were restricted, and had SFA, but they could still pull out an
old violin in Prague
and play on with their friends until dawn.

Patrick Turner.

Kind Regards
Patric Scully
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches Iain Churches is offline

ups.com... On Mar
16, 4:09 am, Patrick Turner wrote:
Glass Audio back issues have been put on CD and appears to be
pretty
good value for anyone wanting to read about
tubecraft.

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...ues/BISGAM.htm

Its costs, but not much so don't whinge.

Let's hope they have corrected the schematic errors which
appeared in almost every issue. Then there were corrections
published in the following issue, followed by discussions on
the letters page, and more corrections.

If you look at the past of eastern europe behind the "iron curtain" of
communism,
people were restricted, and had SFA, but they could still pull out an
old violin in Prague
and play on with their friends until dawn.

Have you been in Prague recently Patrick? It had benefitted
greatly from the Czech Republic joining the EU. One can find
perhaps 20 baroque and classical concerts on a single night,
and every second young person seems to be carrying a violin
case. (I cannot believe they *all* contain Thompson machine
guns:-)

Iain

Glass Audio JAS Vacuum Tubes 2 August 11th 06 05:32 AM
Glass Audio JAS Tech 1 August 6th 06 04:15 PM
Glass Audio JAS Marketplace 0 August 5th 06 06:28 AM
FS: Full set of Glass Audio & First 7 issues of Audio Express [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 0 February 12th 05 06:39 PM
FREE-Glass Audio Mike DeAngelis Vacuum Tubes 2 August 9th 03 12:22 AM