Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Is hum from the heater circuit capacitively coupled ?

The thread title says it all. Hot referring to DHTs of course !

Obviously capacitance plays its part but is there another mechanism at play ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] shoppa@trailing-edge.com is offline

On Mar 2, 9:57 am, Eeyore
wrote:
The thread title says it all. Hot referring to DHTs of course !

Obviously capacitance plays its part but is there another mechanism at play ?

Graham

Some general points:

1. Yes, capacitive coupling from the heater to other tube elements is
certainly a source of hum.

2. Another in-tube source you do not mention: heater-cathode leakage

3. Another in-tube source you do not mention: heater-cathode emission

4. Another in-tube source you do not mention: the 60Hz magnetic field
of the heater modulating/steering the electron flow

5. An out of tube source you do not mention: capacitive coupling from
heater wiring under chassis to any high-impedance low-level circuit

6. An out of tube source you do not mention: inductive coupling from
heater wiring or filament transformer field to any circuit loop. This
can be very insidious because altering layout to remove large-area
loops is something that has to be dealt with at design-layout time and
is impossible to correct later.

7. Finally there are lots of ways that hum in any power supply could
find its way to amplifier output.

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Hi RATs!

DHT's have no heater-cathode issues ...

Some basic premises used in retail amplifier design are not the result
of careful design critique, simply quick and dirty ways to get a
product out the door and sucking in ill-gotten revenue.

I am responding to my medications for a long term sinus infection and
feel glee at being able to rant, so: Enjoy!

1. One box is all any amp needs. This is real smart, huh? Power
transformers, rectifiers and filter networks really need to be real
close to amplifier circuits, because ... it is cheaper! No good
reason. Just bean counter power trips.

2. Heaters need to be heated with unfiltered AC, because ... it is
cheaper! No good reason. Beans, again ...

3. Heater circuits do not need to be shielded, because ... it is
cheaper ...

4. Heater circuits need to be in parallel strings, because ... can you
guess?

5. Heaters do not need their own transformers, rectifiers and filter
networks, because ... you ought to know by now ...

I do not think it is impossible to enjoy music played through a cheap,
one box solution.

I do think pretending cheap, one box solutions are the only possible
design worth considering is a bit silly.

Cheap and smart are not synonyms.

Only cheap people assume they must be

Smart people look at the evidence, not the bottom line

You may get rich, but you can still be stupid ...

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Mar 2, 12:34 pm, "tubegarden" wrote:
2. Heaters need to be heated with unfiltered AC, because ... it is
cheaper! No good reason. Beans, again ...

5. Heaters do not need their own transformers, rectifiers and filter
networks, because ... you ought to know by now ...

At the same time, having a high-current (several amps) DC filament
power supply means that you've got filter capacitors drinking large
chunks of current in gulps that are several times larger than the
average current. This means a lot of harmonics spiking 60 or 120 times
a second, and the OP's point about capacitive coupling is even more
relevant to the higher frequency harmonics being generated, because
the higher frequencies get more capacitve coupling.

Sometimes a clean 60Hz sine wave is truly the right thing to power
your filaments with. Simplicity has its benefits and making your power
supply more complicated than your amp is surprisingly uninteresting to
me!

At the same time, getting clean 60Hz out of a wall socket or
transformer may prove to be more difficult for some than others :-)

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell Ian Bell is offline

wrote:

1. Yes, capacitive coupling from the heater to other tube elements is
certainly a source of hum.

2. Another in-tube source you do not mention: heater-cathode leakage

3. Another in-tube source you do not mention: heater-cathode emission

4. Another in-tube source you do not mention: the 60Hz magnetic field
of the heater modulating/steering the electron flow

Not much you can do about these except buy decent NOS valves.

5. An out of tube source you do not mention: capacitive coupling from
heater wiring under chassis to any high-impedance low-level circuit

The simplest way to combat these is to use screened heater connections. The
screen should not be carrying heater current so two core screend cable is
suitable. Connect the screen to ground at one end only.

6. An out of tube source you do not mention: inductive coupling from
heater wiring or filament transformer field to any circuit loop. This
can be very insidious because altering layout to remove large-area
loops is something that has to be dealt with at design-layout time and
is impossible to correct later.

Very hard to screen a magnetic field so the usual approach is to minimise
it. Used closely twisted pairs of wires to connect to the heaters (so now
you want a twisted screened pair cable). Also consider a centre tapped
heater supply or a pot across the heater supply with its wiper grounded.

You only get induction with a changing magnetic field so the best thing is
to make it not change - use dc heater supply.

ian
7. Finally there are lots of ways that hum in any power supply could
find its way to amplifier output.

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] shoppa@trailing-edge.com is offline

On Mar 2, 2:24 pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
6. An out of tube source you do not mention: inductive coupling from
heater wiring or filament transformer field to any circuit loop. This
can be very insidious because altering layout to remove large-area
loops is something that has to be dealt with at design-layout time and
is impossible to correct later.

Can you elaborate on why you say this "is impossible to correct later"?

If you've laid out the tubes/sockets/transformers to form such a loop,
and the loop has a large area, it's nearly impossible to add magnetic
shielding to remedy the problem. You pretty much have to start over
punching new holes in a new chassis.

Same thing happens with magnetic fields and poorly-laid-out solid-
state amps (although these do not have filament supplies they still,
if AC-powered, have a transformer and in fact larger pulsating
60/120Hz currents).

In case you haven't read between the lines: all the above learned from
the school of hard knocks, a couple decades ago for me! It's very
disappointing to find out that there is NO practical fix to the
inductive-loop susceptibility other than starting over. Contrast with
capacitive coupling where you can start band-aiding via electrostatic
shields etc.

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] shoppa@trailing-edge.com is offline

On Mar 2, 3:05 pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article om,
I don't understand why one can't avoid large area loops in the heater
wiring by simply insuring that both wires feeding the heater of any
given tube are placed in close proximity to each other, preferably
twisted, eliminating any large area loop?

The loop I was talking about was not the heater wiring (you're 100%
right, run this in twisted pairs and the hum from their loop mostly
cancels out) but the susceptibility in loops in non-heater circuitry
to 60Hz from power transformers and chokes.

The 60Hz transformers (including the heater transformer but also the
other ones) on the chassis or even nearby chassis have a pretty good-
sized near-field. Make a signal loop in that near-field and you'll
pick up hum.

One workaround that I neglected to mention, which isn't practical in
every case but not as impossible as I was saying!, is toroidal power
transformers which will have less field. But it's still better to not
have the susceptibility from the get-go. A good sign of a design
susceptible to magnetic interference is that they have applied the
band-aid of toroidal power transformers :-).

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
robert casey robert casey is offline

5. Heaters do not need their own transformers, rectifiers and filter
networks, because ... you ought to know by now ...

I do not think it is impossible to enjoy music played through a cheap,
one box solution.

I do think pretending cheap, one box solutions are the only possible
design worth considering is a bit silly.

Cheap and smart are not synonyms.

Of course bean counting impacts the design. Really smart engineers
know how to get great quality from limited budgets. Twisted heater
wiring is done to reduce magnetic and electrostatic hum fields. Some
amps with preamps use the preamp tube heaters as cathode resistors for
the output tubes as an easy and cheap way to get DC heater current for
the preamp tube heaters. And they save money they would have to spend
on power resistors. Oh, you'll need a bypass electrolytic to keep audio
from the output tube from feeding back into the preamp, put that in the
"downside" column. And so on. Experienced designers know where they
can cut corners and what needs attention.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Mar 2, 11:05?am, wrote:

Sometimes a clean 60Hz sine wave is truly the right thing to power
your filaments with. Simplicity has its benefits and making your power
supply more complicated than your amp is surprisingly uninteresting to
me!

At the same time, getting clean 60Hz out of a wall socket or
transformer may prove to be more difficult for some than others :-)

Tim.

Hi RATs!

Simplicity is wonderful, when it works.

The OP was just feeding chum to the sharks, or tadpoles, whatever

Making anything more complicated is boring to me, too. Trying to fool
consumers is a great hobby, but, so is listening to recordings.

If something does not function as you wish, you may modify it until it
does. Or, until you die

Multiple power transformers are not "more complicated" than one with
multiple taps. They just take up more space. Even the SS guys should
be able to comprehend that concept

I modify stuff for the thrill of physical activity in this rather
strange time/space thing. Sometimes I am mortified by failure, once in
a while my soul shines brightly.

It is a crap shoot

Happy Ears!
Al

PS First rule: No Rules!

PPS "Clean" 60 Hz? What planet are you on?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

tubegarden wrote:

Hi RATs!

DHT's have no heater-cathode issues ...

Idiot !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

On Mar 3, 9:43?am, Eeyore
wrote:

Idiot !

Graham

Hi RATs!

Always happy to share the sunshine of tube love with the truly
desperate denizens of the Dark Future

Happy Ears!

Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

On Mar 3, 9:42?am, Eeyore
wrote:

I know. I was specifically interested in the heater aspect inside the tube alone in
isolation.

Hi RATs!

Some people are so pithy no one can understand them. At least they
don't waste too much of our time ...

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

John Byrns wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Byrns wrote:
wrote:

6. An out of tube source you do not mention: inductive coupling from
heater wiring or filament transformer field to any circuit loop. This
can be very insidious because altering layout to remove large-area
loops is something that has to be dealt with at design-layout time and
is impossible to correct later.

Can you elaborate on why you say this "is impossible to correct later"?

Run the heaters on DC !

That won't help because the actual problem he was talking about is the
field from the power transformer being picked up in the signal wiring.

No he was talking about the radiated field from the AC heater wiring !

Stray field from the power transformer is quite another issue.

Do please try to keep up !

Oh floppy eared one, I suggest it is you who are not keeping up! This
thread has more than one branch, and if you read them all my comment
should make perfect sense to you. To make it easy for you I will quote
what he actually said that I was referring to.

"The loop I was talking about was not the heater wiring (you're 100%
right, run this in twisted pairs and the hum from their loop mostly
cancels out) but the susceptibility in loops in non-heater circuitry
to 60Hz from power transformers and chokes."

"The 60Hz transformers (including the heater transformer but also the
other ones) on the chassis or even nearby chassis have a pretty good-
sized near-field. Make a signal loop in that near-field and you'll
pick up hum."

If you are going to start a thread you would do well to read all the

Regards,

John Byrns

--
Surf my web pages at,