Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ben Ben is offline

Default how to test 4cx250B in ct160

Hi group,

I noticed quite a number of CT160 valve tester users in this group, I
need to test a 4cx250B with a CT160 but I cannot find it in the
manual.

Is there anyone in this group who can help me with the right selector
switch for this tube ?

-ben

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Mar 2, 8:46 am, "Ben" wrote:
Hi group,

I noticed quite a number of CT160 valve tester users in this group, I
need to test a 4cx250B with a CT160 but I cannot find it in the
manual.

Is there anyone in this group who can help me with the right selector
switch for this tube ?

-ben

Do you have a setting for a 7203?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ben Ben is offline

On Mar 2, 3:15 pm, "Peter Wieck" wrote:
On Mar 2, 8:46 am, "Ben" wrote:

Hi group,

I noticed quite a number of CT160 valve tester users in this group, I
need to test a 4cx250B with a CT160 but I cannot find it in the
manual.

Is there anyone in this group who can help me with the right selector
switch for this tube ?

-ben

Do you have a setting for a 7203?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

No, unfortunately not. The book refers to it in a cross reference but
it is not listed.

-ben

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Mar 2, 8:46 am, "Ben" wrote:

Hi group,

I noticed quite a number of CT160 valve tester users in this group, I
need to test a 4cx250B with a CT160 but I cannot find it in the
manual.

Is there anyone in this group who can help me with the right selector
switch for this tube ?

-ben

Do you have a setting for a 7203?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

No, unfortunately not. The book refers to it in a cross reference but
it is not listed.

-ben- Hide quoted text -

Then I guess that same book also references the 4X250B? I will go
through my Hickok cross-reference directory tonight and see if any of
the above are listed. If so, I will attempt to determine any other
tubes with the same settings that are more commonly known. My revision
book was printed in 1978, so anything after that won't be listed.

AES lists these beasts at $100+. OUCH... no wonder you want to be
careful with testing them. Is the filament good? That, at least, you
can determine right away from the base diagram (F75).

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Yves Monmagnon Yves Monmagnon is offline

On Mar 2, 8:46 am, "Ben" wrote:

[...]

Same pinout that 4X150, of course you already know . . .

I was told that air flow must be applied to theses tubes even with the
heather powered alone.
I've used some in RF amplifier but never dare to check that.

Yves

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Ben wrote:

I noticed quite a number of CT160 valve tester users in this group,
need to test a 4cx250B with a CT160 but I cannot find it in the
manual.

Is there anyone in this group who can help me with the right
selector
switch for this tube ?

In spite of the weirdness of its modus operandi, the CT160 should tell
the same story as the valve's published characteristics. The AVO
manual is simply a list of pinouts and typical operating points, which
incidentally for some valves with very low Ra turned out to be
inappropriate.

So you should be able to pick an operating point within the range of
the instrument from published characteristics such as:

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...049/7/7203.pdf

Presumably you know the pinout.

Can the CT160 cope with the 2A heater?
Is it realistic to test this valve at the CT160's max Va of 400V?
It's still half asleep at that voltage.

cheers, Ian