Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

Default Gold plated solid copper binding posts and spade lugs... Worth it?

I was wondering if it is worthwhile to replace the Gold plated solid brass
binding posts on the back of my speakers and the power amp with Gold plated
solid copper ones. At the same time replace the brass banana plugs with
Gold plated copper spade lugs.
I am only running the speaker wires 6 feet, but I know that brass is not a
good conductor, the large size of the binding posts probably make it not
worth it, but I wanted to check with others. I am using a 2.1 system,
$1700.00 pair of B & W bookshelf speakers and a $1700.00 B & W subwoofer
with a Parasound Amp and Preamp.

I've looked on the net and the best price for good binding posts was $55.00
a set. Gold plated copper spade lugs I was able to purchase locally for
$7.00 each.
Is this worth pursuing? Would it make an audible difference?

Thanks,

Shaun

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
cjt cjt is offline

On 01/23/2014 05:31 PM, news wrote:
[...]

I think it's safe to say you will not hear the difference. Calculate
how much the impedance of the complete connection system (including the
6 feet of speaker wire) will change. I think you will find it is the
equivalent of a very short change in the length of the speaker wires.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bob Lombard[_3_] Bob Lombard[_3_] is offline

On 1/23/2014 6:31 PM, news wrote:
[...]

It would make no audible difference.

bl

---

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

On 1/23/2014 6:31 PM, news wrote:
I was wondering if it is worthwhile to replace the Gold plated solid brass
binding posts on the back of my speakers and the power amp with Gold plated
solid copper ones. At the same time replace the brass banana plugs with
Gold plated copper spade lugs.

Is this worth pursuing? Would it make an audible difference?

Audible difference? No.

Worth pursuing? If you like to tinker with stuff, go ahead. It
certainly won't make it sound worse and if that's how you like to
was^H^H^H spend your time, go for it. I certainly wouldn't bother, but
YMMV.

--
//Walt

Copper plated poles UnsteadyKen Tech 7 March 27th 08 09:37 PM
FOR SALE: WBT Binding Posts Brian Oglow Marketplace 0 February 19th 06 06:08 PM
FS-TEFLON SILVER PLATED COPPER [email protected] Marketplace 0 August 23rd 05 09:43 PM
FS-TEFLON SILVER PLATED COPPER [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 05:46 PM
FS-TEFLON SILVER PLATED COPPER [email protected] Marketplace 0 November 6th 03 12:15 AM