Hydebee

Default recently i aquired a fisher 400 tube receiver in great condition , all tubes light etc but no sound at all anyone give me advice on what to checkhelp me on fisher 400 tube receiver

recently i acquired a fisher 400 tube receiver in great condition , all
tubes light etc but no sound at all anyone give me advice on what to check
email me at

slbender

Hi Hydebee -

First make sure speakers are connected properly! If there is a speaker
switch, make sure it is on and set to the contacts where the speakers
are attached.

Next, check that all control switches are in the proper position for
listening. Being in "Tape Monitor" instead of "Source" would cause a
lack of sound out.

Next, one would have to check tubes, bad tubes would cause problems,
but most likely, something would be heard, hum, distortion, noise, etc.

If you still have no sound, the set must be opened up to check for
burned / blown cathode resistors, open coupling capacitors, or missing
voltages. If any voltages are not present, well that can cause problem
or lack of sound. The Fisher 400 circuit is simple compared to the
500c or 800c series as it is a simplified circuit, so some checking
compared with the schematic should produce some answers.

BUT... only if you are very capable in the technical areas. Voltages
inside a tube set can kill if you don't know what you are doing, and
parts can explode in your face! So JUST DON'T if you have a total lack
of knowledge here. Often a missing voltage or bad coupling caps will
cause lack of sound, but then so would a defective switch or defective
output transformer.

If at this point it still doesn't look promising, the set must be
repaired by someone who knows what they are doing, someone who won't
kill himself in the process. Replacing power tubes, burned/blown
resistors, the selenium bridge, the coupling caps, or an Output
Transformer is NOT work for the novice. I have a pair of working OP
transformers removed from a Fisher 400 that I never got to use in a
project, so yes, even 40 years later, parts can be found, and the
proper tech can make your Fisher 400 set sing again.

-Steven L. Bender