Arthur Kimes

Default Subwoofer miniplug mystery

I have HK195 speakers that came with my computer. They have a
subwoofer output plug in the back of the right speaker (for use with a
powered subwoofer). The plug appears to be a mini-plug. I can plug a
male mini-plug into it, plug the other end of the cable in the subwoofer
input and the subwoofer works. Great. However, as soon as the cable is
plugged into the right speaker's subwoofer output there's a large drop
in volume - just in the right speaker. This occurs even if the cable
isn't plugged into the subwoofer.

I assume that this drop in volume isn't normal. Could it be
that the HK195 requires some special sort of plug - not a regular
mini-plug?

"All I wanted to do was sail my boat. Navigate by the stars, watch
dolphins swim alongside, maybe kill a few of 'em." -Cisco