Iain M Churches

Default KT90

Does anyone have experience with the KT90 ?
How do they compare sonically with KT88
and 6550? Is there current production?

Iain

Jim McShane

Iain M Churches wrote...

Does anyone have experience with the KT90 ?
How do they compare sonically with KT88
and 6550? Is there current production?

Iain,

Check my tube page on my site. The KT90 Ei is
a great tube when it's made right, but sadly
the current production has problems. The EH
(not a typo, EH) is blah.

FWIW, I sold my quad of GEC KT-88s after
I got my first KT-90 Eis. I never regretted it.

Drop me a note if you need more than what's
on my site.

Jim McShane
Need Tubes? Got a H-K Citation (Pre) Amp?
Check http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane
Repro knobs for Citation gear in stock!

Iain M Churches

"Jim McShane" wrote in message
.. .
Iain M Churches wrote...

Does anyone have experience with the KT90 ?
How do they compare sonically with KT88
and 6550? Is there current production?

Iain,

Check my tube page on my site. The KT90 Ei is
a great tube when it's made right, but sadly
the current production has problems. The EH
(not a typo, EH) is blah.

FWIW, I sold my quad of GEC KT-88s after
I got my first KT-90 Eis. I never regretted it.

Drop me a note if you need more than what's
on my site.

Jim McShane

Hi Jim,

I have been asked to look out for some KT90s
for a small batch of 50W amps currently being
built.

I had the feeling that Svetlana made them too
but apparently not. (Their EL34 is exceptionally
good, and of very consistent quality)

Excellent website:-)

Iain

Patrick Turner

Iain M Churches wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the KT90 ?

Yes, KT90EH seem ok.

How do they compare sonically with KT88
and 6550? Is there current production?

More percieved bass definition.

Otherwise not much difference imho.
More brute force.

Patrick Turner.

Iain

Patrick Turner

Iain M Churches wrote:

[...]

One can get 40 watts class AB with a pair of KT90 in triode.

I have tried a pair in a Quad II amp which is ok because
they fit OK, and have 1.6A of heater current, same as KT66.
But ONE KT90 is like TWO KT66,
so you get about 25% more power in an Quad amp
using the same idle current as the KT66.
The limiting factor is anode voltage swing and the crummy Quad II OPT.
But Ro is also about 2/3 the KT66 case.
They are no harder to drive than KT66, KT88 etc.

I prefer the KT90EH to the Ei, the EH is like a new type of tube;
the internals looks like the anode is simply 10mm taller than in the
KT88/6550EH
which as far as I know are exactly the same internally.

The extra 10mm of metal means the plate dissipation is better.
The KT90EH could be allowed to idle at 35 watts.

Having 550V on the anode and screen is also OK for triode and UL.

Patrick Turner.

Iain

fryzz

I use them in my Citation II, they sound great.

Frank

DanF

Jim McShane wrote:

Iain,

Check my tube page on my site. The KT90 Ei is
a great tube when it's made right, but sadly
the current production has problems. The EH
(not a typo, EH) is blah.
Drop me a note if you need more than what's
on my site.

!

Hello,
How can one tell the difference between the Type I, II, and III Ei
KT-90 tubes? Are there markings, writing, structure differences? Can
somebody post pictures?
Thanks, Daniel

New Tung- Sol 6550? Mark S Vacuum Tubes 13 April 13th 05 03:10 PM
WTB quad KT90 gmgenett Vacuum Tubes 4 December 26th 04 04:49 PM
Light glow inplates of KT90's Dan Nicotera Vacuum Tubes 21 September 25th 04 01:31 PM
KT88 or KT90 for scratch built bass amp??? OvrReactor Vacuum Tubes 14 July 8th 04 07:02 AM
EH KT90 Patrick Turner Vacuum Tubes 9 November 21st 03 05:19 AM