Shawn

Default Three things I learned buying audio gear on eBay

Nobody smokes in their studio
Everything has been kept in storage for at least ten years
Digital equipment has that "analog" sound
Alan Pearce

Dont forget: like new.............barely used............etc

"Shawn" wrote in message
m...
Nobody smokes in their studio
Everything has been kept in storage for at least ten years
Digital equipment has that "analog" sound

Max Arwood

Older Vintage Digital Equiptment.

"Shawn" wrote in message
m...
Nobody smokes in their studio
Everything has been kept in storage for at least ten years
Digital equipment has that "analog" sound

"Shawn" wrote in message
m...
Nobody smokes in their studio
Everything has been kept in storage for at least ten years
Digital equipment has that "analog" sound

Here's one I learned today: "...or best offer" doesn't really mean "or best
offer", it means the full price the guy is asking for it to begin with.

(You know who you are - yes, you.)

--

Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock

yuppie2000

"Steinberg Cubase SX 2.0 : Hardly used, good as new!"

They probably mean that the bits & bytes on the CD are still fresh and
have that new car smell!

"Max Arwood" wrote in message om...
Older Vintage Digital Equiptment.

"Shawn" wrote in message
m...
Nobody smokes in their studio
Everything has been kept in storage for at least ten years
Digital equipment has that "analog" sound

Logan Shaw

Max Arwood wrote:

Older Vintage Digital Equiptment.

A few months ago, a guy posted the following sentence (quoted
exactly) to a local forsale newsgroup:

MY FIANCE HAS QUITE A FEW ANTIQUES FOR SALE. SEWING MACHINE,
SECRETARY,ROCKER, COMPUTER HUTCH,ETC.

I suppose it would be a really BIG piece of furniture, with
maybe some drawers for storing spare vacuum tubes and punch
cards...

- Logan
William Sommerwerck

"I haven't tested it, but there's no reason it shouldn't be working perfectly."
Tommy B

"When I said put it in a case, I didn't just mean the guitar case!"

Tom

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"I haven't tested it, but there's no reason it shouldn't be working

perfectly."

Monte P McGuire

In article ,
Karl Winkler wrote:
(Shawn) wrote in message om...
Nobody smokes in their studio
Everything has been kept in storage for at least ten years
Digital equipment has that "analog" sound

And everything is "rare" such as a "Rare, Black-Faced ADAT Machine"

You reminded me of another one... the 'black faced' one is always
better. Even if they all came with black faces...

Regards,

Monte McGuire

Chris Stevens

I'll see your three, and add three more...

Unit has only 'slight' rack wear
Unit for sale is NOT unit in the picture
Unit's reserve price is higher than retail

--
Christopher Stevens
producer/engineer
"Shawn" wrote in message
m...
Nobody smokes in their studio
Everything has been kept in storage for at least ten years
Digital equipment has that "analog" sound

james

In article unZ9c.129059$po.850555@attbi_s52,
Chris Stevens wrote:

I'll see your three, and add three more...

Unit has only 'slight' rack wear

Wish they'd be specific, don't you? Obviously, the screws are going to
make round impressoins on the flanges. It's hard to avoid scratches on
the top, bottom or sides of anything. But are the flanges bent? Are
the corners of the unit 90 degree angles? One of my synths sags under
its weight enough to make the case tilt maybe 5 degrees when the front
panel is flat. It's not just the flanges bent :-) (No, it will never
be offered on Ebay or anywhere else, and I'm painfully honest in my auctions
anyway. My electronic gear usually just gets given to less fortunate friends,
so it's not an issue).

Unit for sale is NOT unit in the picture
Unit's reserve price is higher than retail

On a serious note, I appreciate when starting bids are
in the ballpark. I sort by price, and I'm looking for things
with prices in the middle of the bell, and particularly not at
a lower extreme. So a 99 cent item won't be noticed until there
are some bids.

I also have to say that I really and truly appreciate "Buy it Now."

I was never raised to be much of a competitive person, and the idea of
haggling isn't something that my culture embraces, so it's a chore that
I have to work at, and it's a skill that I lack. I'm *much* more
comfortable with, "here is the item as I represent it, and here is the
price that it will sell at to the first person who offers to buy it."

So I've quite often gone for buy-it-now items even though there were
auctions of the same stuff at lower apparent prices.

I also wonder how certain types of things end up being auctioned off to
begin with. I hardly buy *anything* that I don't intent to use until it
dies, or keep until *I* die. A piece of gear is either going to survive
my pounding on it, or it isn't. If it doesn't, my conscious won't allow
me to *sell* it to someone! If it *does* survive, it never leaves my
smoke-free studio and it is never placed into my climate-controlled
storage :-)

Iowa Recorder

"Works Great"

On arrival of a console nothing worked because it did'nt have a power
supply. So it "Works NOT AT ALL"

After finding power supply it powered up but very little of the
functionality worked. "Works Like Crap"

After cleaning the console it "Works OK"

sigh...
IR
anthony.gosnell

wrote
Here's one I learned today: "...or best offer" doesn't really mean "or

best
offer", it means the full price the guy is asking for it to begin with.

I think you are looking at it from the wrong point of view. The best offer
in his eyes would be significantly more than he was asking.

Anthony Gosnell

"Monte P McGuire" wrote in message
Karl Winkler wrote:
(Shawn) wrote in message

om...
Nobody smokes in their studio
Everything has been kept in storage for at least ten years
Digital equipment has that "analog" sound

And everything is "rare" such as a "Rare, Black-Faced ADAT Machine"

You reminded me of another one... the 'black faced' one is always
better. Even if they all came with black faces...

LOL! No kidding... when I was still a PARIS user, we would joke around on
the users group about that sort of thing after Emu came out with the newer
PARIS blue color scheme... "yeah, I've got one of the original vintage
blackface PARIS rigs - sounds much better than the blue, trust me."

--

Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock
http://www.saqqararecords.com

james

In article ,
Analogeezer wrote:

I mean how did an inch of plywood get chewed off most of the cabinet
if it was just used in a church install g

The rest of the story is probably all about church budgets ($0.00), and
that the stuff was well-used before it was donated.

mr c deckard

I also have to say that I really and truly appreciate "Buy it Now."

i'm beginning to only look at buy it now auctions -- simply because
i'm tired of stuff always getting sniped. (if i can rant a bit here)
it's so annoying everyone jumping in at the last minute because they
want to save $2. now, there's even a snipe site (justsnipe.com). i
signed up out of frustration, but i'm still holding to my guns that if
everyone just put in the maximum amount they were willing to pay,
everything would be fine. i have heard of auction sites that extend
the auction by 15 minutes if a bid is placed -- i wonder if ebay will
begin this in light of the snipe sites -- and the increased bandwidth
of people clicking reload every 10 secs in the last 2min of an
auction.

ok. i feel better.
cd /..

james

In article ,
J.W. wrote:

It's not a question
of bidder ethics---it's a question of math!

Something that bothers me about it: Opportunity cost.
If I bid on an item early, and I think I'm going to get it, I'm not able
to bid or buy on another item. The other items come and go, and I end
up shut out when someone snipes me. Happens a lot. I don't usually
*care*, but it does irritate me.

My solution is just to buy B-stock from Zzounds or whatever.

Logan Shaw

james wrote:
Something that bothers me about it: Opportunity cost.
If I bid on an item early, and I think I'm going to get it, I'm not able
to bid or buy on another item. The other items come and go, and I end
up shut out when someone snipes me. Happens a lot. I don't usually
*care*, but it does irritate me.

OK, but mathematically, there is no reason to bid until almost
the last minute. You just need time to start at the lowest
reasonable bid and move upwards toward the value you have decided
you will pay. If everyone decides in advance what they wish
to pay, it does not matter much when they bid as long as they
do it before the auction closes.

Anyway, it's an auction, so "I think I'm going to get it" doesn't
really make sense. There is not much of any way of predicting what
will happen, so having definite expectations is somewhat unrealistic.

- Logan
james

In article ,
Logan Shaw wrote:

If everyone decides in advance what they wish
to pay, it does not matter much when they bid as long as they
do it before the auction closes.

There's always some asshole who is willing to pay 25 cents more than my
initial bid :-) That asshole rarely enters his bid before the last
second of the auction. So, yeah, I have to decide "I will pay X amount,
and not 25 cents more than that", and enter the bid.

Anyway, it's an auction, so "I think I'm going to get it" doesn't
really make sense.

Opportunity cost. If I have a bid working on one item, I have to assume
I'm going to be exposed for that amount. Which precludes my bidding on
another item.

Now, I think there might be a cultural problem with me an the whole
concept of auction. I also can't really deal with barter very well.
I become uncomfortable any time an item is for sale and the price is not
specified. I can't stand the new car buisness, or real estate, for this
reason. My brain isn't wired to accept the fact that an item for sale
might be sold for very different amounts to different people. I don't
know why, it just bothers me, a lot. Tell you for sure, there's no way
I'll ever do the "new car" deal, knowing that a better negotiator will
always get a better price on the same car.

Another thing I can't stand, at all: Call for our price! Too low to list!
Won't happen. If there's a competing product, that's my cue to go look
at its specs or whatever.

Anyway, I like Ebay, I like buy-it-now. Just bought another Shuttle
XPC, and some new microphones (Marshall 603, based on today's
discussion, guess they aren't bad for the price range?).

Whenever I try to sell stuff with buy-it-now, it's as if there's a
stigma against it, though. Last batch of items (blacksmith creations,
not electronics/audio), the auctions ended, then somebody contacted me
with an offer for the lot. Offer was just short of the buy-it price
for everything. Everybody's happy, but I'm bewildered.

Logan Shaw

james wrote:

In article ,
Logan Shaw wrote:

If everyone decides in advance what they wish
to pay, it does not matter much when they bid as long as they
do it before the auction closes.

There's always some asshole who is willing to pay 25 cents more than my
initial bid :-) That asshole rarely enters his bid before the last
second of the auction. So, yeah, I have to decide "I will pay X amount,
and not 25 cents more than that", and enter the bid.

Well, a more effective strategy is to pick X amount, then enter
(say) half that. Then near the end of the auction, increase by
small amounts as long as people outbid you, stopping at X, or
stopping at whatever point you don't have to increase it further
because others have dropped out. If you enter X amount right
off and then do nothing, you are giving the sniper information
about what exactly X is, and they can capitalize on that
information by bidding X + 0.25. Auctions are most fair when
everyone bids the minimum they need to bid at any given point
to get to where they eventually want to be, because in that
case, nobody knows anyone else's idea of X, so they all have
to go through it together and keep bidding up until there
is just one left.

If everyone takes this approach, it works out pretty
fairly because they all pick their own X, and in the end
the one with the highest personal X is the one that wins
the auction, and by definition they were willing to pay that
amount, and nobody else was willing to pay a higher amount.

In my opinion, eBay auctions are waaay too long. They should
last for something like 2 hours or maybe 1 hour, since that's
when the real bidding takes place anyway. The fact that they
last for several days is just a nice way of building interest
in the items (which itself does have value). It probably also
serves to drive up the average price because it makes people
commit to following a product over a few days, and after
they've spent all that effort, they want to get it over with
and just buy the thing. :-)

Opportunity cost. If I have a bid working on one item, I have to assume
I'm going to be exposed for that amount. Which precludes my bidding on
another item.

Indeed, going back to my theory the auctions are just way
too danged long.

Now, I think there might be a cultural problem with me an the whole
concept of auction. I also can't really deal with barter very well.
I become uncomfortable any time an item is for sale and the price is not
specified. I can't stand the new car buisness, or real estate, for this
reason. My brain isn't wired to accept the fact that an item for sale
might be sold for very different amounts to different people. I don't
know why, it just bothers me, a lot. Tell you for sure, there's no way
I'll ever do the "new car" deal, knowing that a better negotiator will
always get a better price on the same car.

Yes, it does suck in a way, but it's very much a fact of life.
It's a shame that some people are good at it and some are not,
and you're financially rewarded for being good at it or penalized
for not being good at it. I have for most of my life generally
sucked at that type of thing, but I have sort of learned to play
the game.

When I moved into my current apartment, I managed to find a really
good deal at a brand new complex that had just opened and was at
low occupancy. They were offering amazing deals. I hesitated
for a second, and the guy threw in a free garage. A little more
hesitation but still showing interest, and he started giving up-front
discounts (that could be pro-rated across 12 months).

But I didn't really want to live in that complex. So I went to the
complex where I really wanted to live and brought along the paperwork
for the great deal at the other place. And in essence I told the
leasing consultant that I'd prefer to live here (I'm giving away the
ending now...), but they were going to have to make me feel good about
passing up on this phenomenal deal at the other place if they wanted
that to happen. Long story short, they gave me a good price (confirmed
when newer staff members look in my file and say "wow, you're getting
a really good deal for that floorplan"), and I am living in an apartment
that I like. So someone who sucks at bargaining really can learn
how to do it. :-)

Another thing I can't stand, at all: Call for our price! Too low to list!
Won't happen. If there's a competing product, that's my cue to go look
at its specs or whatever.

It's just a game they play to get you on the telephone. If you
are curious enough to call, you're probably curious enough to
buy. Once you're on the phone, they can not only give you the
price but start the sales tactics as well. In other words, they
are trading their information (the asking price) for your
information (the fact that you're interested, and whatever
verbal or non-verbal cues you give them about how interested
you are, what price you'll accept, etc.).

- Logan
james

In article ,
Logan Shaw wrote:

So someone who sucks at bargaining really can learn how to do it. :-)

My girlfriend is 100% Greek. It comes absolutely natural to her.

Another good friend is a 6'4" Gypsy
Fortuneteller who happens to be a journeyman blacksmith. Seriously.
The whole barter/bargain thing is like living and breathing to that guy.

It makes me jealous.

It's just a game they play to get you on the telephone.

Of course, I see right through it. And I don't think it's a good trade:
My *very* valuable time for their basic information that they shouldn't
withhold in the first place? No thanks.
Shawn

I forgot that's my favorite, the "church story" .My number one all
time favorite was a Moog Memorymoog that was "used mimimally in our
church". hohoho. You can't fool me. I know that church organist must
have played the **** out of that thang.

The rest of the story is probably all about church budgets ($0.00), and
that the stuff was well-used before it was donated.

JWelsh3374

Another thing I can't stand, at all: Call for our price! Too low to
list!
Won't happen. If there's a competing product, that's my cue to go look
at its specs or whatever.

It's just a game they play to get you on the telephone.

I don't think that is the case. I think it is more a fear of pricing something
and having a competitor undercut your price.

Most of these guys could really give a rat's about "getting you on the phone".
They'd rather have you call and ask how much and then either sell to you or
hang up.

My too sense...

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
james

In article ,
JWelsh3374 wrote:

I don't think that is the case. I think it is more a fear of pricing something
and having a competitor undercut your price.

And, this is good for the consumer... how?

As the customer, I don't think this says the right thing to me.
"We're so afraid that you might get a better deal elsewhere, that
we will gladly inconvenience you."

I'm feeling the warm and fuzzy already!

Scott Dorsey

james wrote:
In article ,
Logan Shaw wrote:

So someone who sucks at bargaining really can learn how to do it. :-)

My girlfriend is 100% Greek. It comes absolutely natural to her.

If it doesn't come natural to you, Chester Karass has a series of books
on the subject. Your car dealer has read them, so you probably want to
also.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I sell and buy on ebay and I'm not sure why sniping is so hated. The
key here is that sniping ONLY WORKS if that last second bid is the
HIGHEST bid.

Isn't that the way any auction works? Highest bid when the gavel comes
down wins. In a live auction, the auctioneer waits until he's sure
that nobody else is going to bid before ending the auction, but with
eBay, that's determined by a clock, not a person who's skilled at
auction psychology.

I've bought about thirty items from ebay and I've NEVER
been sniped---EVER.

I've bid on three items. Two I've won with no competition at all, the
third I put in a bid about an hour before the end of the auction then
went out to dinner. There had been only one previous bid placed a few
days before. When I got back to see if I had won, I saw that there had
been several bids placed, I assume in the last few minutes, and the
winner was considerably higher than my bid. Glad I didn't give up
dinner for that one.

The bids I won weren't for audio gear (a paperback science fiction
book and a SMPTE time code reader). The one I lost was for a piece of
audio gear, an SPL de-esser I think. So if you want to get sniped, bit
on a hot audio item.

if I really
want the item, I make sure I'm the highest bid.

You have to be reasonable about it. I might learn that I can't buy
something for what I'm willing to pay, so I usually decidede that I
don't really need it all that badly.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Analogeezer

J.W. wrote in message . ..
On 30 Mar 2004 14:21:45 -0800, (mr c deckard)
wrote:

[...]

HIGHEST bid. I've bought about thirty items from ebay and I've NEVER
been sniped---EVER. All that automated sniping software, sniping
websites and quick trigger fingers don't beat me because if I really
want the item, I make sure I'm the highest bid. It's not a question
of bidder ethics---it's a question of math!

I do more selling than buying, but when buying I usually wait until
about a half hour before then just put in my max of what I figure I'd
pay.

It usually works out because I either get what I'm after, or I don't
but then later on I get another one in better condition for less.

The majority of audio gear on Ebay is there almost all the time,
pretty rare for a specific item to be the only one of it's kind for
more than a month or two.

Analogeezer
William Sommerwerck

So someone who sucks at bargaining
really can learn how to do it. :-)

My girlfriend is 100% Greek.
It comes absolutely natural to her.

You obviously don't understand what "Greek" means.

mr c deckard

oh, i understand how the snipe thing works -- i've done it myself.
it's just nervewracking and a time-waster. i really appreciate when
people list stuff with a reasonable buy-it-now price. it's easy to
click buyitnow, hit the paypal button and the deal's done.

and i do the math. if something isn't buyitnow enabled, i figure out
a good price i'd be willing to pay, and that's the bid i place. it's
still annoying when someone get's it for $.50 more than my bid, but,
that's the game i suppose.

cheers,
chris deckard

(Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:znr1080689238k@trad...
In article
writes:

i'm still holding to my guns that if
everyone just put in the maximum amount they were willing to pay,
everything would be fine.

That wouldn't really be an auction, it would be a "best offer" sale.
The idea of an auction is that "auction fever" boosts the best offers.

Besides, people tell me never to bid what I think it's worth early on
because this is a tip-off that the item has some value and is
therefore worth more than what's been bid. It's a sure way to lose the
auction.

I don't like it either, and rarely bid (and even more rarely buy) on
eBay. My last experience was that the seller (a business) shipped the
wrong manual with my purchase. I was a good sport and offered to
return it, they were a good sport and sent me their UPS acount number
to charge the shipping to them, but they never found the correct
manual for my purchase.

james

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:

My girlfriend is 100% Greek.
It comes absolutely natural to her.

You obviously don't understand what "Greek" means.

Uh... unless I missed something... I doubt there's anything you can
tell me that I haven't experienced... if not from her, then from her
*dad*.