Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Balanced line receiver.

Have a need for some balanced line receivers for a project. Previously,
I've used SSM 2143, but see there are now alternatives like the Burr Brown
INA 134. In the quantities I need the price isn't too much of a problem.
Any comments?

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Have a need for some balanced line receivers for a project. Previously,
I've used SSM 2143, but see there are now alternatives like the Burr Brown
INA 134. In the quantities I need the price isn't too much of a problem.
Any comments?

Try the InGenius chip from THAT, I believe it's the 1200. Better CMRR
at high frequencies and better handling of unbalanced sources. Don't
forget to add clamps and a small common mode choke.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Have a need for some balanced line receivers for a project. Previously,
I've used SSM 2143, but see there are now alternatives like the Burr
Brown INA 134. In the quantities I need the price isn't too much of a
problem. Any comments?

Try the InGenius chip from THAT, I believe it's the 1200. Better CMRR
at high frequencies and better handling of unbalanced sources. Don't
forget to add clamps and a small common mode choke.

The THAT1240, etc? Sadly not common in the UK - the major suppliers don't
seem to stock it. Not even Ebay. ;-)

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Have a need for some balanced line receivers for a project. Previously,
I've used SSM 2143, but see there are now alternatives like the Burr
Brown INA 134. In the quantities I need the price isn't too much of a
problem. Any comments?

Try the InGenius chip from THAT, I believe it's the 1200. Better CMRR
at high frequencies and better handling of unbalanced sources. Don't
forget to add clamps and a small common mode choke.

The THAT1240, etc? Sadly not common in the UK - the major suppliers don't
seem to stock it. Not even Ebay. ;-)

UK distribution is through Profusion.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Have a need for some balanced line receivers for a project. Previously,
I've used SSM 2143, but see there are now alternatives like the Burr
Brown INA 134. In the quantities I need the price isn't too much of a
problem. Any comments?

Try the InGenius chip from THAT, I believe it's the 1200. Better CMRR
at high frequencies and better handling of unbalanced sources. Don't
forget to add clamps and a small common mode choke.

The THAT1240, etc? Sadly not common in the UK - the major suppliers don't
seem to stock it. Not even Ebay. ;-)

Mouser carries them, and I imagine they would ship to the UK. Depending on
the quanity that may not be cost effective, though.

Rod Elliot discuss the circuit on his site:

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/balanced-2.htm#s5

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/26/2014 1:17 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The THAT1240, etc? Sadly not common in the UK - the major suppliers don't
seem to stock it. Not even Ebay. ;-)

eBay doesn't stock anything, but you can ask on the THAT web site where
to buy them. They're a little pricey, which is why the manufacturers
haven't started using them on inexpensive gear, but I know some UK gear
uses them.

While you're there, look over the application notes for those chips.
Check out the paper called something like "The Phantom Power Menace"
that explains the need for clamping diodes on the input leads that Scott
mentioned.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/26/2014 1:17 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The THAT1240, etc? Sadly not common in the UK - the major suppliers
don't seem to stock it. Not even Ebay. ;-)

eBay doesn't stock anything,

In the UK, can be a good source of obsolete components or even small
quantities of current ones. And is generally easy to find things - unlike
many distributors sites.

but you can ask on the THAT web site where
to buy them. They're a little pricey, which is why the manufacturers
haven't started using them on inexpensive gear, but I know some UK gear
uses them.

I've ordered some up from Profusion (thanks to Scott) and they are about
half the price of the SSM 2143 from my usual supplier. Although the latter
does free postage even on small orders.

While you're there, look over the application notes for those chips.
Check out the paper called something like "The Phantom Power Menace"
that explains the need for clamping diodes on the input leads that Scott
mentioned.

No chance of them being near phantom power for my application.

Thanks, Mike.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
The THAT1240, etc? Sadly not common in the UK - the major suppliers
don't seem to stock it. Not even Ebay. ;-)

UK distribution is through Profusion.

Thanks for that, Scott. I've ordered some up - and at a very good price.
Lower than I would pay for the SSM 2143.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Perrett[_4_] James Perrett[_4_] is offline

On Tue, 27 May 2014 23:55:46 +0100, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

DigiKey have a UK website which quotes prices in GBP, but the actual
price
can be much higher. So I tend to use UK companies where possible.

Mouser are much better with UK orders than Digikey - their products come
through a UK Warehouse so you don't have to pay import duties. Despite all
the advertising they do in the Electronics press, Digikey don't seem to
have a clue about how to sell to the UK.

Glad Profusion are good for small orders though - I've never tried to buy
from them as I always assumed that they were more geared up to customers
buying in large quantities.

James.
--
JRP Music - http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article ,
James Perrett wrote:
Glad Profusion are good for small orders though - I've never tried to
buy from them as I always assumed that they were more geared up to
customers buying in large quantities.

They don't seem to quote a minimum charge, and take credit cards. You do
have to register with them, though. My total order cost was just over 20
gbp including tax and postage.

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *